Hey Guitar Guys v2.0

Biff Mayhem

Well I did it: I now own a Tele. I don’t think I’d ever find one I liked and, through a series of trades, I found one I really like and now it’s on the wall. I doubt I’ll ever use it live but it’s a fun and attractive tool in the arsenal.

Road worn GC exclusive MIM. Nice chunky neck. Dude who I got it from put a hot rails in the bridge but I’m going to put it back to stock.  

0534CE7B-A50F-4709-8BDB-8D3A2718E39B.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This one is a CE.   I'd say the neck is very thin and flat.   It's probably the most shredder neck I've ever owned on a guitar.

I'm with you, I've always loved the look of them esp the blue ones.   I am very very impressed with how this axe sounds too, but gotta get it into a rehearsal for a good barometer.

I've been rocking my gretches almost exclusively for the last year but both of them have weird technical **** going on with them and I was having bad GAS symptoms lol

• Like 1

My love/hate relationship with SGs took a huge twist recently. I love they way they look and I’ve had a few that the necks were just right but something didn’t click. I’ve owned around five of them and I’ve loved them….until I didn’t. 

i had this pair last year and traded one and sold the other. The one on the right came back to me in a trade. It’s so loud acoustically and fits me perfectly. Within a day I knew I had to sell it because I didn’t want to replace the pickups, (which were hot garbage) and take away it being in original condition (especially because the boutique pickups I like are around $300 for the set). 

So up for sale it went until I got the bright idea to replace the magnets. I put an Alnico 2 in the bridge and an alnico 5 in the neck. It’s a brand new guitar now and I can’t put it down. Apparently my ears hate ceramic magnets.

IMG_1328.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

My love/hate relationship with SGs took a huge twist recently. I love they way they look and I’ve had a few that the necks were just right but something didn’t click. I’ve owned around five of them and I’ve loved them….until I didn’t. 

i had this pair last year and traded one and sold the other. The one on the right came back to me in a trade. It’s so loud acoustically and fits me perfectly. Within a day I knew I had to sell it because I didn’t want to replace the pickups, (which were hot garbage) and take away it being in original condition (especially because the boutique pickups I like are around $300 for the set). 

So up for sale it went until I got the bright idea to replace the magnets. I put an Alnico 2 in the bridge and an alnico 5 in the neck. It’s a brand new guitar now and I can’t put it down. Apparently my ears hate ceramic magnets.

IMG_1328.jpeg

It's really strange how guickly I can fall out with a guitar or pedal.   The instrument is both rewarding and tormenting! 

18 hours ago, Dan Gilmore said:

My (hazy) memory was he was teaching somewhere like Spokane or WSU, or across the border in Idaho. Maybe @IdahoBert knows more?

He said something in a really old thread a long time ago the notion of which always stuck with me, which was something like "practice your scales and arpeggios.   Whe you're done, do it again."   

He was right.   

I hope he and his Larivee are well wherever he is

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2023 at 6:44 AM, pfife said:

He said something in a really old thread a long time ago the notion of which always stuck with me, which was something like "practice your scales and arpeggios.   Whe you're done, do it again."   

He was right.   

I hope he and his Larivee are well wherever he is

True to this day and forever.

This whole video is gold and I have been working on all these exercises daily for almost a week. That said, I am pasting the link to the video at the exact spot that is giving me the most difficulty. When I try to move that third finger, it refuses to move. I had to really think about it and stare at it to make it move. When I get to the treble end, going back down is easy. Go figger. Now that I have been doing it for 5 nights in a row, it's easier but every once in awhile that finger just stays planted. Anyway, I am combining these exercises with another set of spider techniques and I'll revisit this post after 30 days to share the results.