Hey Guitar Guys v2.0

Biff Mayhem

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Marketplace is even worse, it's rough selling stuff there.   I'm always like, oh sweet someone wants to buy my stuff, and then it's usually a trade offer for something like a 4x12 which I'm trying to downsize from a princeton reverb over here lol.   I get a lot of people that think that b/c I'm selling something I want to sell it for super cheap.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, pfife said:

I think Marketplace is even worse, it's rough selling stuff there.   I'm always like, oh sweet someone wants to buy my stuff, and then it's usually a trade offer for something like a 4x12 which I'm trying to downsize from a princeton reverb over here lol.   I get a lot of people that think that b/c I'm selling something I want to sell it for super cheap.  

I'll get the "is this still available" on Marketplace and I would reply with "Yes, when do you want to pick it up?" No response.

So now if I list on Marketplace I am sure to include that if the ad is up, the product is available so lets not do the "is this available" dance.

It's also common that someone will contact me on marketplace just so they can talk gear. Sometimes that's interesting and sometimes its the equivalent of  the "golf guy who has all the golf equipment and clothes but is Senor Slice".

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here do much hybrid or finger picking? 

I was reading guitar player article about some country riffs and one (or more of them) were using hybrid picking so I learned how to do the picking specifically for that riff and used that picking strategy on a recent studio opportunity.   I liked it so much I found another article solely about hybrid picking with a bunch of exercises to basically get you going (quickly they say):

https://www.guitarworld.com/magazine/depth-guide-hybrid-picking-will-have-you-playing-pro-no-time-all

I'm starting at the very begging, and some of them I could do pretty quickly but others I've had to work on.  I'm working systematically on it, 2 mins for each one w/ a metronome that increase by 5bpm every day as long as I didn't suck at it the day before.  It's pretty neat empirically seeing improvement every day.  

I think this is going to be one of the more consequential things I learn in guitar playing.  Not CAGED or Minor Pentatonic box patterns level important, but important nonetheless.

Edited by pfife
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

awesome!  I like that burst, and that's saying something b/c I don't really like bursts but I do like cherry bursts & similar.

I tried to zoom in on the headstock but still couldn't read it clearly, what is it?

Aria Pro II. It's the next big line that the collectors haven't discovered yet. It's like Greco 5 years ago...once the collectors discovered them, it was on like donkey kong. The big difference between Greco and Aria is Greco had a good long run of quality copies and Aria's sweet spot for copies is very limited. Aria's 70's and 80's PE series are fantastic instruments.

13 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Aria Pro II. It's the next big line that the collectors haven't discovered yet. It's like Greco 5 years ago...once the collectors discovered them, it was on like donkey kong. The big difference between Greco and Aria is Greco had a good long run of quality copies and Aria's sweet spot for copies is very limited. Aria's 70's and 80's PE series are fantastic instruments.

gotcha thanks.  I was thinking it might be Aria b/c I could make out the A. 

I suspect the ridiculous prices for Gibsons nowadays is only going to cause these to increase in price even more.   Good luck with it homey!

• 3 weeks later...

dang that's pretty.   How much of that $250 is customs?  I've seen axes on Reverb in Japan and wondered how much customs would be.   Although I'm generally talking about American made gibsons which to me seems like wouldn't be applicable but it's not that clear to me!

I'm all about double cutaway hollow body right now.   Like the gretsch I posted a couple few months back. But I change which axes I prefer all the time.

34 minutes ago, pfife said:

dang that's pretty.   How much of that $250 is customs?  I've seen axes on Reverb in Japan and wondered how much customs would be.   Although I'm generally talking about American made gibsons which to me seems like wouldn't be applicable but it's not that clear to me!

I'm all about double cutaway hollow body right now.   Like the gretsch I posted a couple few months back. But I change which axes I prefer all the time.

I've paid customs on two guitars and have ordered at least 15 from Asia. It's hit and miss but was around $70 every time.

• Thanks 1

Gotcha.   I would see on reverb they'd eb like 150 for shipping and always wondered how much more for customs.   I think on an axe that was made in US it would be repatriation and not subject to customs but if it is 70 isn't necessarily a deal breaker if that's the only place you can find the axe