Hey Guitar Guys v2.0

Biff Mayhem

Checked out a pawn shop during lunch yesterday and saw a black sparkle Squire Tele with dual humbuckers behind the counter. The clerk quoted me $176, so I asked to try it out. I immediately noticed that it had been smartly modded with Fender locking tuners, Graph Tech nut and string trees and an upgraded bridge. Played on it long enough to determine that it was solid, then bought it. When I got home, a quick check under the control plate revealed upgraded CTS pots and a Sprague Orange Drop cap, all well soldered with braided wiring. Seriously, the upgrades are worth almost as much as a stock version of this guitar, and whoever did the work knew what he was doing. The switch and pups appear to be stock, but it sounds pretty good, and for a sub-$200 guitar, I can justify upgrading them later. I love this thing.

• Like 4

On 10/14/2023 at 8:57 PM, holygoat said:

Checked out a pawn shop during lunch yesterday and saw a black sparkle Squire Tele with dual humbuckers behind the counter. The clerk quoted me $176, so I asked to try it out. I immediately noticed that it had been smartly modded with Fender locking tuners, Graph Tech nut and string trees and an upgraded bridge. Played on it long enough to determine that it was solid, then bought it. When I got home, a quick check under the control plate revealed upgraded CTS pots and a Sprague Orange Drop cap, all well soldered with braided wiring. Seriously, the upgrades are worth almost as much as a stock version of this guitar, and whoever did the work knew what he was doing. The switch and pups appear to be stock, but it sounds pretty good, and for a sub-$200 guitar, I can justify upgrading them later. I love this thing.

Squier has been knocking it out of the park lately. I don't know what year your tele is but even with half of those upgrades, you won the day!

• 2 months later...

What do you all think of the newer Mexican Fenders? I've heard they play surprisingly well. Was gonna go this week to check a couple out. I've always been an acoustic guy more than anything. But I am back in a band. I play pretty heavy rhythm. My tastes tend to go with the classics. Fenders/Gibson.

On 12/25/2023 at 5:20 PM, GenericGuy said:

What do you all think of the newer Mexican Fenders? I've heard they play surprisingly well. Was gonna go this week to check a couple out. I've always been an acoustic guy more than anything. But I am back in a band. I play pretty heavy rhythm. My tastes tend to go with the classics. Fenders/Gibson.

I own one from the mid aughts and it is the cat's pajamas but I cannot speak to the newest ones. I am not a Fender guy so I can't really comment other than to say what I have heard several Fender honks say:

Do you want a guitar built by Mexicans in the US or built by Mexicans in Mexico?

About a week and a half ago I was on the hunt for a Jr. I stumbled into my local music store to find a Heritage H137 and it practically played itself. On Saturday I received a message from one of the guys at the store showing off their latest acquisition. 

Now I have to sell the heritage. 

IMG_0397.thumb.jpeg.f420f0ac0aca0ecc256e258096298a9e.jpegIMG_0490.thumb.jpeg.530e02fd9c21f7315dab916d5e331f52.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Haven't check in with yah in a while, nice axe acquisition fellas.

Anyone play steel at all?   I picked up one of those cheap Rogue lap steels a few months ago ($99 at GC) and got infatuated.    

Obviously the 99 Rogue sucks, so the next thing I tried which I shoulda done originally is took an old gretch streamliner I have and put a nut raiser on it ($7 from sweetwater) but it didn't sound super clear.   Gigged once with that setup....

Then I got this Asher Electro Hawaiian Jr.  And it's a total beauty both looks and sound.   

So in like 3 months I've gone from never playing lapsteel to gigging it and writing parts for 2 songs to record at studio next month.

Currently playing in dobro tuning (GBDGBD) so there are some common strings w standard tuning so can leverage some parts of know scale patterns.

20240105_084358.jpg

I'm assuming that by "capacity" you mean time/desire?  Because I know you know minor pentatonic patterns 1 and 5 and it's a boatload of that... beyond that ist just the right hand finger picking and tonebar mechanics (which are picked up through reps).   

You would slay it bro, no problem

In GBDGBD the locations on the fretboard are the same as pattern 1 major, A is 2nd fret, E is 9,  G is 12, etc. So tons transfers from standard guitar right there.   Then the DGB strings are literally the same as regular axe so all of your shapes work there.   High E on standard is tuned down basically to an open chord so there's a slight adjustment there but in some ways it's easier to hit pretty sounding notes on the high e than standard.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I'm assuming that by "capacity" you mean time/desire? 

Pretty much. I have dedicated 2024 to mechanics. 150 hours this year for practice in addition to jamming/rehearsal.

Maybe for 2025 but for now dexterity and improvise.

• 2 months later...

I haven't been into the home recording studio stuff in a long long time, I was never that good at it.   However, it has recently DAWn'd on me (great pun) that w/ how a lot of recording is done these days (recording super dry signal and applying effects later) that I can definitely at minimum record good dry signals for my bands record & send them to the producer.    

So I grabbed an Apollo interface and threw Reaper on a computer and made myself an electric guitar -specializing DAW.   Right now using AmpitubeCS for my guitar sounds.  Yesterday was the first day I was able to get it all connected and signal through, and even with my scant knowledge I was able to get pretty decent tones out of it, and it's fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...