December Game Threads

lordstanley

after watching yet another loss to yet another good team, it gets sort of depressing to think of how far away the wings still are.

there is no jack eichel or jack hughes or austin matthews or mitch marner on this team.  nor is there one in the farm system, to be honest.

seider is playing a bit better, but he's still nothing like he was last year.  edvinsson isnt doing much statistically at GR (although i havent seen any games so i dont know how he's playing).  all we have to go on for kasper is highlights from sweden, but he doesnt look like a scoring dynamo, and instead looks more like dylan larkin (not a bad thing at all, but not a world beater).

plus their best trade chip is hurt and probably untradeable (unless you think larkin is getting moved...).

bert being out and vrana bring drunk have really killed this team.  what might have been a borderline playoff team is now firmly stuck in no man's land: too bad for the playoffs, too good for the top of the lottery.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Guys in the booth talking about being excited to get Zadina back. Really?

i guess theyre required to say nice things about wings players.

zadina has shown nothing this year to change the perception of him as another wasted late holland draft pick.  chock up veleno in that group too.  with the caveat that both are still young.

Just now, buddha said:

i guess theyre required to say nice things about wings players.

zadina has shown nothing this year to change the perception of him as another wasted late holland draft pick.  chock up veleno in that group too.  with the caveat that both are still young.

Zadina was a wasted pick. I had such high hopes for  all their top-40 picks that year. None of Zadina, Veleno, Berggren or McIsaac look to be future difference-makers. 

12 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Zadina was a wasted pick. I had such high hopes for  all their top-40 picks that year. None of Zadina, Veleno, Berggren or McIsaac look to be future difference-makers. 

to get basically nothing from three straight drafts has killed this team.  not to mention multiple first round picks and top ten picks.  its just killed them.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

to get basically nothing from three straight drafts has killed this team.  not to mention multiple first round picks and top ten picks.  its just killed them.

What's really depressing is that this could be said for the Tigers and Pistons as well.

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Veleno is frustrating because he shows little flashes but never maintains those moments of intensity for long. Berggren is going to produce more than Veleno or Zadina. How much? IDK.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:55 AM, lordstanley said:

I will say, Berggren is on a 52 point pace over a full season since being called up and I've thought he's looked like a solid NHLer.  I'm quite happy with that myself.  I didn't watch the last few games since I was in Philadelphia though so maybe he's looked bad.

41 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I will say, Berggren is on a 52 point pace over a full season since being called up and I've thought he's looked like a solid NHLer.  I'm quite happy with that myself.  I didn't watch the last few games since I was in Philadelphia though so maybe he's looked bad.

He gets a lot of praise from Mickey for making smart small detail plays that most young players don't - for instance just a little extra delay move to kill time on clearing pass while the rest of team was make a line change. My impression has been that he is pretty consistent is making his presence felt when he is out there.

I think you both (Sloth and Gehringer) are probably right about Berggren. He could well turn into solid NHLer. I was just hoping for one of the four picks to really break out from their draft position and well exceed expectations. I think Zadina is a below-average #5-#7 pick, not even considering that on draft day we felt we had stolen a #3 or so. Berggren seems fine for a #33 overall, but nothing that special. I don't think a re-draft of Veleno would put him any higher than his #30, probably lower. And who knows about McIsaac, snakebit. I don't have an Atlantic subscription so not sure what they came up with.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

You know it was odd to me when I saw the starting 2nd line of Suter & Kubalik with Rasmussen Centering but.... guess what?

1-0.

I like that Lalonde mixes and matches a bit. I know the risk is sometimes you may give up a little potential with your 'best' line, but OTOH I don't think there is any double that on some nights you try something and some guys just click together ever if it's only short term. Maybe one of the things Blashell was too rigid about. Scotty was never shy about trying different guys together - can't have a higher recommendation than that.