December Game Threads

lordstanley

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Soderblom is an easy move organizationally, would be a bad move competitively. 4 points in his 4 games since returning, +4 in that span, and on only 10 min/game. There are half a dozen forwards who bring less than Soderblom is currently.

no one else has options.

to get fabbri, bert, and vrana you need to send 3 down.  soderblom and berggren are the obvious ones.  suter is the other one unless you want to send down veleno too.

or waive erne.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Soderblom is an easy move organizationally, would be a bad move competitively. 4 points in his 4 games since returning, +4 in that span, and on only 10 min/game. There are half a dozen forwards who bring less than Soderblom is currently.

Soderblom I think is the first to go, he still has lapses (bad giveaway led to one of the Pens goals yesterday) and can be sent down without waivers.

Nice to see the squad actually comeback like that, feels like a different team.

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

no one else has options.

to get fabbri, bert, and vrana you need to send 3 down.  soderblom and berggren are the obvious ones.  suter is the other one unless you want to send down veleno too.

or waive erne.

Yzerman has a few days to move someone for a pick. 😉

The bad part is we really don't know what we get out of Fabbri or Vrana. Vrana has only a very short track record with the Wings and neither has any track record playing for Lalonde - who has the team playing a different game than the one the Wings were playing last season when Vrana and Fabbri had contributed. FTM Bertuzzi had shown pretty much nothing this season when he's managed to get on the ice.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

i wonder if bertuzzi would take a one year deal?  try to get his value back up and get a longer term deal next time?  i cant imagine him fetching much in the trade market after being hurt all year.

meh - give his money to make sure you sign Larkin, who is really playing like a star this season.

20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Or drop the 3rd goalie... is it still Hellberg at this point?

who knows what's doing on with that? They don't have any confidence in Ned, but that situation isn't going to change with him not playing. Hellberg is just a stop gap, but what's the gap if the situation with Ned is static? Or maybe Yzerman is trying to land another goalie as we type.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

they should be in decent shape half a dozen points out of the wildcard with more than half a season left and supposedly front line players yet to return - but it would sure help to get a workable goal tending rotation going. 

4-5-2 for 10 points in 11 games in December could have been worse. So not a great month, but a tough schedule and wasn’t a KO.
Looks like the Wings will need to beat out 2 of 3 of NJ, NYI and NYR to make it. 

33 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

4-5-2 for 10 points in 11 games in December could have been worse. So not a great month, but a tough schedule and wasn’t a KO.
Looks like the Wings will need to beat out 2 of 3 of NJ, NYI and NYR to make it. 

i still think its much more likely they finish 7th in the division.

however, they havent been healthy yet and have been missing a bunch of their best players in bert and vrana.  maybe those guys can help them score 5 v 5, which is where they need the most help.

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maata/Osterle will not be good, but Osterle/Anyone would probably not be good. It will be interesting to see if the Hronek/Chairot pair can avoid both getting caught up ice at the same time.

The 3rd pairing isn’t going to be good?  Is that unexpected?

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Maata/Osterle will not be good, but Osterle/Anyone would probably not be good. It will be interesting to see if the Hronek/Chairot pair can avoid both getting caught up ice at the same time.

Which is why I want them to leave the frickin' Maata/ Hronek pairing alone. Too bad for Chiarot but drop him to the 3rd pairing, not Maata...

Oh well... we'll see how this goes as it's already been decided...

3 minutes ago, sagnam said:

The 3rd pairing isn’t going to be good?  Is that unexpected?

The level of play throught the 1st 5 isn't too bad so we can aspire to one more D man (Edvinnson?) that would give us 3 pairs without a bad drop off. TBH though, when I've watched the Wings struggle this season, it's more often a group of forwards being useless in their own end than out right bad defenseman play.  

On 12/31/2022 at 2:33 PM, gehringer_2 said:

The level of play throught the 1st 5 isn't too bad so we can aspire to one more D man (Edvinnson?) that would give us 3 pairs without a bad drop off. TBH though, when I've watched the Wings struggle this season, it's more often a group of forwards being useless in their own end than out right bad defenseman play.  

it's not like edvinnson is setting the world on fire in grand rapids...

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

it's not like edvinnson is setting the world on fire in grand rapids...

Edvinsson's results are captive to the fact that GR is pretty terrible right now. His +/- is negative but only 5 below the team lead. And among D men his 10 pts is one behind McIssac - 4yrs his senior, and Kempfer - a 34 yr old journeyman. He's doing fine.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Edvinsson's results are captive to the fact that GR is pretty terrible right now. His +/- is negative but only 5 below the team lead. And among D men his 10 pts is one behind McIssac - 4yrs his senior, and Kempfer - a 34 yr old journeyman. He's doing fine.

I think he'll be primed to taking a starting roster spot in 2023-24...

Uncertain how many/ if he'll get NHL games this season... 

But I'd like to see him at least come up for an NHL cup of coffee... 10-12 games or so...?