February Game Threads

lordstanley

12 minutes ago, buddha said:

if you think simon edvinsson is going to be a physical presence at this point...or soderblom....it tells me you havent seen them play.

Seider didn't play with the physical edge he plays with now a year or two ago either.

Heck for that matter the guy whose physical presence we are bemoaning the loss of tonight didn't play to his size for a long time either. Still barely does some of the time.

Edited by gehringer_2

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Seider didn't play with the physical edge he plays with now a year or two ago either.

Heck for that matter the guy whose physical presence we are bemoaning the loss of tonight didn't play to his size for a long time either. Still barely does some of the time.

ok, but youre proving my point.  bringing up those guys isnt going to help the wings getting pushed around now.

and it wouldng help tonight because the refs let the senators get away with whatever they wanted and they penalized the wings for every ticky tack holding call they found.  i havent seen such an egregiously badly officiated game in a long time.

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

ok, but youre proving my point.  bringing up those guys isnt going to help the wings getting pushed around now.

and it wouldng help tonight because the refs let the senators get away with whatever they wanted and they penalized the wings for every ticky tack holding call they found.  i havent seen such an egregiously badly officiated game in a long time.

The comment was half tongue-in-cheek, because if anything is clear it's that Yzerman is dead set on a bigger, harder to play against team, and if he's not quite there today he intends to be tomorrow. 

Edvinsson wasn't ready but Soderblom actually didn't handle himself half badly while playing with Ras and Sunqvist, but any Wings fan has to be looking forward to seeing more of these guys and less of our current development dead ends.

Officiating in the NHL seems to go in cycles. I stopped watching hockey altogether for a number of years mostly because I didn't care to watch the game their rule book was producing. I hope we're not on a route back to that.

Edited by gehringer_2

we'll see how they do tomorrow, but they were physically dominated tonight.  the other team checked harder, and physically beat the shit out of them.  and they failed to respond.

they have a small team with a bunch of guys who float to the boards and dont play physical.  suter , kubalik, berggren, zadina, and yes, raymond.  theyre soft as fuck.

the refs screwed them, but the sens kicked their ass anyway.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The comment was half tongue-in-cheek, because if anything is clear it's that Yzerman is dead set on a bigger, harder to play against team, and if he's not quite there today he intends to be tomorrow. 

Edvinsson wasn't ready but Soderblom actually didn't handle himself half badly while playing with Ras and Sunqvist, but any Wings fan has to be looking forward to seeing more of these guys and less of our current development dead ends.

this should be a real wake up call to them about how this team would play in the playoffs.

they need to get bigger and stronger.  for all his flaws, that's why he signed a guy like chairot.  

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

this should be a real wake up call to them about how this team would play in the playoffs.

they need to get bigger and stronger.  for all his flaws, that's why he signed a guy like chairot.  

I would guess Yzerman still has bad dreams about the pre Bowman teams that were improving but would go into Edmonton and get beat up in the playoffs for the same reasons. His own team had to get a lot stronger before they won as well (Federov, Fetisov, Shanahan, McCarty, Chelios, etc...) so he knows the drill.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I would guess Yzerman still has bad dreams about the pre Bowman teams that were improving but would go into Edmonton and get beat up in the playoffs for the same reasons. His own team had to get a lot stronger before they won as well (Federov, Fetisov, Shanahan, McCarty, Chelios, etc...) so he knows the drill.

edmonton?  shee-iiiiit.  they went into toronto, chicago, and st louis and got their asses kicked.  edmonton outskilled them to death.  the most notorious and obvious example was new jersey in the cup finals.

that's when they went out and got shanahan and changed their team.

12 hours ago, buddha said:

Which says that this year's playoff run (or the attempt to even get into the playoffs...) is an excellent learning situation for these Red Wings.

I'd love to bring up Edvinsson and Soderblom specifically for this reason... Let them know how hard other teams play when the playoffs are on the line, or IN the playoffs if they can make it in. If they get into the playoffs, I don't care as much about the wins or losses as much as that they learn how different playoff hockey is from regular season hockey.

Everyone needs to get tougher, from the bigger Red Wings all the way down to the little guys...

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which says that this year's playoff run (or the attempt to even get into the playoffs...) is an excellent learning situation for these Red Wings.

I'd love to bring up Edvinsson and Soderblom specifically for this reason... Let them know how hard other teams play when the playoffs are on the line, or IN the playoffs if they can make it in. If they get into the playoffs, I don't care as much about the wins or losses as much as that they learn how different playoff hockey is from regular season hockey.

Everyone needs to get tougher, from the bigger Red Wings all the way down to the little guys...

hopefully between this game and the ridiculous amounts of assets teams are giving up for players, yzerman can fleece someone on bertuzzi.  

this game really showed me how far away they are.  that said, tonight is a different night.  hopefully they get refs who call an even game and penalize ottawa for some of their rough house tactics.  im all for physical play, but when the wings are getting charging calls for the same things that ottawa is getting away with, and larkin gets a roughing call for having his glove touch a guy's face while debrincat is able to punch seider in the face with no call, it just isnt fair.

they did their usual ref thing by evening out the calls after the game was already decided, but that was some of the biggest home cooking ive seen in a non-playoff game in a long time.

i was disappointed lalonde didnt say something.  you never want to use the refs as an excuse, but you also want to protect your team and have some gamesmanship setting them up for the next night so it doesnt happen again.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, buddha said:

hopefully between this game and the ridiculous amounts of assets teams are giving up for players, yzerman can fleece someone on bertuzzi...

They may have already missed the boat on that...

All the big names and big trades for huge amounts of assets have already occurred.

After these past two games, one not different than the other...

Yzerman needs to SELL, SELL, SELL !!!

Although, like I said... I think the loudest shouting has already taken place so SY may end up only with table scrap trades at this point, I'm thinking.

No, the expectations are still there...

It's just still a little early for them yet...

I believe I'm on record previously stating that I wanted them to both buy and sell at the deadline. I've posted that in here the past three weeks at least.

I still think that, and I still like having an outside shot at trying to get into the playoffs, but...

I don't see a reason to lose Bertuzzi for absolutely nothing. If we don't come to an agreement with him on an extension, he needs to be traded. I hate to say the same thing about Larkin... I don't want to trade him... but what if it comes to us losing him for nothing? Are we happy with that?

And the guys I was interested in trading for - Horvat, Meier, or Chychrun - have already been traded or it no longer makes sense to trade for who is remaining. Also, I was interested in a Leddy trade like last year, in which SY finds an unused kid or two in a trade (like Walman) that, given some ice time, could blossom. I even had my eyes on two Maple Leafs that exactly met that definition... I proposed trading for in another forum: Connor Timmins (RH'd D'man to try and balance out our pairings...) and Joseph Woll, a 6' 3" goalie splitting time between AHL & NHL this year saving at a .930 rate.

I think they should try to build at the same time that they might be trading away... If SY is able to come up with the right trade... 

Otherwise...

If there is anyone that a team has an interest in, that is not a part of our future... I do not mind moving on from that player. At all. I don't see why anyone would. If they are a UFA and not a key part of our future that is.

Wings could have used a few truckers last night and tonight.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/downtown-ottawa-roads-businesses-shut-down-as-freedom-convoy-protesters-flood-parliament-hill-1.5759563

Fireworks and the sounds of truck horns filled the air on a cold Saturday evening, as thousands of truckers and their supporters remained in downtown Ottawa. The ‘Freedom Convoy’ demonstrators are protesting COVID-19 vaccine mandates and other public health restrictions, with no word on what will happen next or how long they are planning to stay.  The number of vehicles and people converging on the area around Parliament Hill caused total gridlock in the city's core, closing roads and forcing a downtown mall to close early for the day.