February Game Threads

lordstanley

6 hours ago, buddha said:

once again, bertuzzi is in the mix.  gets the puck on thw boards down low, finds hagg up top and he scores thanks to a great screen from perron.

bert is back to being the straw that stirs the drink for this team.

I want to give Perron props on this goal. He drove his defender into the boards and gave him a little extra when the defender was down. Perron went to the net, and all the defender could focus on was trying to get Perron back….too bad the Caps defender interfered with his goalie because he was so focused on Perron and not where he was. I feel like Perron has been pretty….not good lately, but this really shows the little veteran moves he has. I feel like this roster can click and make some noise in the playoffs, but everything has to break right for that to happen. 

I don’t think they will make the playoffs.  Probably will be out of any real shot even before April starts.  There are just too many other experienced teams in the mix.   This run has been huge to put them back on the development track they wanted for the season.  They have definitely taken a step forward in the Yzerplan.  A great goal for the rest of the way would be to finish above Ottawa and Buffalo

11 hours ago, buddha said:

so would you rather have the wings miss the playoffs or make the playoffs but lose to the leafs?

Great question. Because my feelings towards the Leafs are so personal and bitter, lol, I’d be tempted to say miss the playoffs. But for any other opponent or scenario - including a walloping by Boston or a sweep by Carolina - I’d definitely prefer making the playoffs over missing. 

I guess Lalonde wasn't here when they traded for Vrana so maybe it figures, but his comments on Vrana have been pretty cold. His comment to the effect that Vrana 'has always had trouble playing in a system' seemed like kind of a gratuitous dig at what a guy did before either you or he was with your current team. It may be true but its not the kind of place coaches usually go tallking about players....

Maybe he just likes Zadina and is a bit put out at being told to play a player he's not sold on?

Edited by gehringer_2

athletic's model gives the wings an 18% chance to make the playoffs.  but it was only 1% a few weeks ago!

i'd still deal bert if a good deal came along, but the price should be very high.  like a top prospect and a 1st or 2nd (depending on the prospect).

they have the second toughest schedule in the league down the stretch, that might keep them out.  on the flipside, buffalo has the toughest.

we should know where they are after this week, starting tonight.  if they play well and win, that's a sign maybe they should keep bert.  if they get outplayed but have puck luck (like the last edmonton game), i'd still deal him.

i expect them to get outplayed tonight, but i hope im wrong.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

that's a sign maybe they should keep bert. 

I think the idea that Yzerman is going to be swayed from "the plan" by two weeks of play or making one wild card berth is over estimated. That is fan sentimentality, not that of a GM trying to build a champion.

He is either going to trade Bert or sign him. I absoutely don't see him letting him walk just to make a playoff series they're going to be elimated from anyway. But it's the likelihood of signing him for the $ they want, not making the WC that's going to drive it.

Guys pushing the other narrative like WoJo haven't watched SY very closely.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think the idea that Yzerman is going to be swayed from "the plan" by two weeks of play or making one wild card berth is over estimated. That is fan sentimentality, not that of a GM trying to build a champion.

He is either going to trade Bert or sign him. I absoutely don't see him letting him walk just to make a playoff series they're going to be elimated from anyway. But it's the likelihood of signing him for the $ they want, not making the WC that's going to drive it.

eliotte friedman reported that bert is off the market.  take that for what its worth, but he's usually a good source.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup. What got them in the hole in the first place was going Holland going all in to make a meaningless playoff push to extend the streak, when it was obvious they needed to get out ahead of the rebuild. Instead, they set themselves back years. I hope SY is smarter than that. 

Just now, slothfacekilla said:

What an insane breakout by the Wings to set up the Copp goal to go up 1-0, some pretty passing all around.  Walman outlet to Rasmussen, Ras to Perron, back to Ras, then over to Copp for the yawning goal.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Perron. The whole sequence was great to see. 

• Like 1