February Game Threads

lordstanley

I agree with the team/ Stevie that they should try to make a run for the playoffs. So whatever he does in the way of trades I will be fine with... In fact, i think I've already posted a few times that I would be fine with the team both selling AND buying at the deadline... whatever it takes for the team to be positioned for being a competitive team both now and into the future...

On that note: moves I'd like to see:

1) Hold onto Vrana as well. To your point on Raymond... if he's out for a long time, it probably doesn't make sense to move Bertuzzi... OR Vrana.. if the team wants to make a run at the playoffs. Plus his value is about zero for now so I'd just as soon let the season play out and if they wanna do something with Vrana at lerast wait until the offseason.

2) I am so down on Chiarot. I think he's a net negative on the ice. And if he's not dragging down Seider (which he did the first 35 or so games this year), then he's dragging down Hronek or WHOEVER is on the ice with him. Yeah, I get it, he added a measure of toughness this team needed and he's laid out some really sweet hits... Sorry, but look elsewhere for that please. Can SY trade him? Can we just buy him out of his contract? Please do one or the other. Bring up Edvinsson. Pair Walman with Seider and Maatta with Hronek and start Edvinsson on 3rd pairing with (so help me...) Lindstrom, Hagg, or Oesterle...

3) Ned is looking really sharp down in Grand Rapids. But Hellberg also looks fine as a 2nd goalie so SY can do whatever he wants in this area... But don't let Husso wear down again please. If Ned can play more often than Hellberg and give Husso a better breather, so he doesn't wear down, then make a move there. It looks like Ned is ready for a 2nd chance, IMO.

4) If SY is trading extra parts that other teams actually want... fine, go for it. I don't know who that would be (Chiarot? Maatta much more likely), but... not to repeat myself... if Stevie spots a trade that ADDS to our chances at the playoffs, either short-term (this year) or long term chances... go for it! Draft picks this year and next year do not mean as much to me as trying to get back into the playoffs. And SY can assess the proper value of assets to be traded for the proper player in return for that...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

2) I am so down on Chiarot. I think he's a net negative ...

4) If SY is trading extra parts that other teams actually want...  if Stevie spots a trade that ADDS to our chances at the playoffs, either short-term (this year) or long term chances... go for it! ...

I like how this guy thinks:

https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-chiarot-trade-bait-land-jakob-chychrun/

47 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Just because a reporter heard that Bertuzzi is off the market, even if Yzerman said Bertuzzi is off the market, doesn’t mean Bertuzzi is off the market. 

I don't know what value level SY puts on making the playoffs this season and/or how much he is willing to sacrifice whatever trade value he'd be giving up in a pending UFA to be all in to do it, but I am more confident that a 5 game stretch is not what changes his mind about the situation one way or the other.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Dang Zadina is out for Vrana, was hoping it would be someone else but I guess I can't argue with it

IDK, Zadina and Veleno both appear to be pretty much lost causes. Zadina seems a little more of a presence on the ice, but he is an even worse finisher than Veleno, if that's even possible. 

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, Zadina and Veleno both appear to be pretty much lost causes. Zadina seems a little more of a presence on the ice, but he is an even worse finisher than Veleno, if that's even possible. 

I think both players still have places in the NHL, just not in the top six as you'd hope when you drafted them.   They probably want Veleno for 3C/4C so Rasmussen can stay at center for now.  Kubalik would be the option to sit in  my opinion, I would add Sundqvist too but I think Lalonde likes him a lot.  Either way I can't really argue with Zadina being the odd guy out though I think he has been playing fine since he's been back.  I wouldn't have minded seeing Zadina and Vrana on a line together to be honest.

54 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Well Larkin got kicked out for a major cross check.  It was an awful play but him but I'm a bit shocked he got kicked out.

Another one of those dumb automatic rules.   It looked major worthy and any crosscheck that is a major is an automatic game misconduct.