2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

On 8/5/2023 at 6:50 PM, Tenacious D said:

If he can play adequate defense there, you could see how the pieces potentially fall in place for next season:

Vierling 3B

Malloy RF

Greene LF

Meadows CF

Keith 2B

I think we know the other positions.  Of course, this assumes no external additions, which is unlikely.

Hopefully they can get someone better than Veirling to play 3B everyday. I like Veirling, but only as a bench player. 

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

They could but he'll cost a lot more this time.  

It will also depend on whether they think Lorenzen can be part of their future, which is what a multi-year deal would suggest, versus being a flippable asset.

Edited by chasfh

On 7/14/2023 at 4:46 PM, Edman85 said:

So I cheat on my Tigers only one, but here's today's with a Rarity Score of 6. Tigers only. I do not remember Greg Cadaret on the Tigers.

image.png.847283ac4e19f4576cb8e2a12ff846ef.png

I didn't even know this existed.  LOVE IT!

My first go at it ...

️ Immaculate Grid 128 7/9:
Rarity: 344
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

I don't really get UZR, but FG seems to indicate that Carpenter had been above average in LF (SSS) and basically average in RF this year. (they give him negative value overall as a fielder I assume because he DHs a lot; don't understand that either).

But if he is average, then they have a pretty good long term piece.

image.png.522b3aadbfd2cc2881e3abdc6c8ecc81.png

BR has him about neutral as well but his sample sizes for fielding are still too small to be meaningful. With Kerry it could be he looks worse by the eye test than maybe he is be because he is not good at all near the wall, and those are the plays that get replayed a lot. OTOH, he seems to do OK going to the line and coming in and he has thrown a couple of guys out so maybe on average he is average. Cumulative fielding stats take so long to be reliable that they aren't that useful when you have to decide how to play a guy now. You probably get a better idea of what a guy is capable of from individual play statcast data but even then just because a guy makes some good plays doesn't guarantee he is also reliable - a la Righanne Rheighbourne.

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Statcast is to be believed, Carpenter’s performance on the field this year indicates that he has nearly league-worst jump but enough speed to make up for it some; and he has one of the better outfield arms.

If he and Malloy split RF and DH, Vierling plays 3B and RF and Greene and Meadows play the other two outfield spots nearly full time that can work.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If he and Malloy split RF and DH, Vierling plays 3B and RF and Greene and Meadows play the other two outfield spots nearly full time that can work.

That would be ideal, even better if Keith also plays 3B.  McKinstry and Maton will be on the team, Baez, Torkelson and 2 catchers, and that's too crowded for Baddoo unless there is an injury.

Just now, Jim Cowan said:

That would be ideal, even better if Keith also plays 3B.  McKinstry and Maton will be on the team, Baez, Torkelson and 2 catchers, and that's too crowded for Baddoo unless there is an injury.

If I had to guess today, the off season departures will be Baddoo, Maton, Haase, Ibanez plus whatever trades they make.