2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

39 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So is there just a void between the old and new walls? 

Looks that way. I guess doing it any other way would be a massive job. The walls and foundation for the seats can’t be moved. You have the concourse at street level to work with. Apparantly you can’t just move the wall on the field and just make another row of seats.  I’m not understanding why they had to move out the first row of seats. You can lower the HR threshold and just keep the grate to the same height as before for safety. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I also hate parks that have a yellow line as home run marker  

I have never understood how a ball that hits off the front of a wall toward the top and bounces back into play can be ruled a home run because of an arbitrarily-placed yellow line.

2 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Have we heard it is temporary? Meaning what is the design past this?

I use the word 'temporary' to refer more to the architecture not being integral to the structure than a comment on how long in time it will or won't there. I could see them doing something more in RF in front of the stands but the space in CF is dead space whether you leave it as a gap between two walls or fill it in something that will still be basically empty space,  so I don't see them having a whole lot of motivation to change that part.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I use the word 'temporary' to refer more to the architecture not being integral to the structure than a comment on how long in time it will or won't there. I could see them doing something more in RF in front of the stands but the space in CF is dead space whether you leave it as a gap between two walls or fill it in something that will still be basically empty space,  so I don't see them having a whole lot of motivation to change that part.

I definitely can see them adding a row or two of seats in RF. Hard to remember when the bullpens were over there.

Should the Tigers look at Estevan Florial, DFA, from the NYY?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/flories01.shtml?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.mlbtraderumors.com&utm_campaign=2023-04-01_br

They just brought in LHB McKinstry, Paulson and Witherspoon. None have the pedigree of Florial. That is 'not' to say Florial is the better player or they 'should' do this - but he is young (same exact age as RKreidler), has athleticism and tools (speed, power and arm, decent glove as well) and has had success at AAA.

He is out of options, but is not Arb eligible until '26. Would this be a calculated risk' worth taking? or do we have simply better options. He does have a swing and miss tendency but does also have the ability to draw some walks.

The NYY are always in a 'have to win now' mode and maybe initially brought up Florial too early, hence the scenario.

IMHO, this type of player could possibly do well in Comerica Park (reminds me of Granderson early on). I also think Vidal Brujan, back in the minors with Tampa, might be a good fit for the Tigers/park as well (we'll see on McKinstry though... ).