2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

1 hour ago, kdog said:

captain obvious on ESPN:

I wonder if putting so much existential pressure on Greene and Tork has affected them mentally. If they don't develop into above average major leaguers, we are even more screwed.

All IMHO, this is a reason to have decent vet players in the lineup. To take 'some pressure' of these two. Imagine a lineup of all AA- AAA players? We are NOT Toledo or Erie. IMHO, few prospects playing MLB can develop that way. There is also the idea of constant losing. It may become habitual, accepted, expected, etc.

With said, 5 players JBaez, AMeadows, JSchoop, Miggy, EHaase have to produce 'some'.

I do agree that not signing WMyers, etc. this past off season was not going to make a whole lot of difference. However, the idea is really more about taking some pressure off Greene & Tork. I, like many, feel they can handle 'some pressure' but not the entire offense just so an org can find out from other youngsters 'who can play'.

The Tiger organization should be able to tell during this season who can and cannot become part of the next core from players on the current MLB team, AAA and some as low as AA (ex maybe CKeith). They also have some draft positioning this year. I believe 3 of the first 46 or so picks. They need to capitalize there.

So, back to vets who can help, of those 5 listed, 3-4 need to produce some. This will take a bit of pressure of the Greene & Tork. However, Greene & Tork need to take the next steps as well.

The team is not so deep as they cannot take a flyer on a player like EFlorial. That is not the same as WMyers, etc. He is young, affordable and controllable for awhile. The question is do they think they have more talent within? Why go after McKinstry, Witherspoon and Paulson and NOT go after an arguably better positional player prospect?

There will also be injuries to vets and youngsters alike and hopefully in 2 mos. we are not thinking they should of grabbed so-so when they had a chance.

For some reason, and I am not sure why (the time is not now of course), I am not sure how aggressive SHarris will be with actual talented players on the market in future years. Just seems like he likes reclamation projects and potential undervalued AAA types with his time here and in SF. Of course players have to be willing to come here as well.

Things can change very fast (see Cleveland Spring 2022, predictions and into the beg of the season and their avg age, etc.). I actually think Chris I. is ok with adding talented players, just as he was last year (ERod, Javy and Chaffin, etc.) - when the time comes.

34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is why I don't get the comments in other settings on the internet (shoutout to MTS, there may be disagreements, but it's more grounded here) about how Hinch is preparing to take the express out of town. Literally nothing about his comments after games this weekend or body language really showed that, but people tend to read whatever they want onto anything he says or does. No different than last year when people were saying the same stuff before Lynn Henning was outed for having misreported (invented?) AJ Hinch's optout.

My position hasn't changed on him, he's not above criticism even if the talent isn't where it needs to be. But realistically, no, I don't think he's on the hot seat, and I don't think he's leaving and am pretty sure he had an idea of how 2023 would go entering this season.

I wonder whether any of this might be a case of any combination of not following the team closely, not understanding how leadership dynamics work, and perhaps not a little wishful thinking maybe even connected to wistfulness over Leyland's exile.

19 minutes ago, alex said:

With said, 5 players JBaez, AMeadows, JSchoop, Miggy, EHaase have to produce 'some'.

This may be the point that you are trying to make, but with the exception of Miguel who is way past his sell-by date, each of these guys *are* those sorts of vet players that are supposed to be taking the heat off of the young players.

Adding another Wil Myers isn't gonna magically take the pressure off Riley Greene or Tork if these guys aren't doing their job.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I don't believe this is true at all. Assuming there's no personal fallout between him and Harris, Hinch's honeymoon won't be over until he is given the players that he is expected to contend with and then fails to do so. Until that happens, Hinch won't get fired even if the team ends up losing 105 games this year. What would be the point of firing him over that? It's not as though they could give this exact same team to, for example, Jim Leyland and expect him to win with them in a way Hinch can't.

I agree. I meant honeymoon with the fans. It was poorly worded post.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I'm at the point where Hinch's fate is tied to Harris's fate.  This is year 1 for Hinch.

Unless, as you say, they know something about his methods that we aren't privvy to, which is just speculation and worth as much.

Tigers may need a modern day Ralph Houk. Yes, Hinch can win with all stars at every position but is he the guy for a rebuilding team? I like Hinch and think he's an above average manager but the Tiger organization lacks talented players. And this last off-season was very underwhelming. Trading away our bullpen for AAA players....ugh. 0-6 home opener?

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Tigers may need a modern day Ralph Houk. Yes, Hinch can win with all stars at every position but is he the guy for a rebuilding team? I like Hinch and think he's an above average manager but the Tiger organization lacks talented players. And this last off-season was very underwhelming. Trading away our bullpen for AAA players....ugh. 0-6 home opener?

If you read the new Astros book it makes you wonder how much Hinch benefited from the data guys in the Astros front office and from Alex Cora and his shady stuff

• Like 1

And transcendent players....he doesn't have those here.

11 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

If you read the new Astros book it makes you wonder how much Hinch benefited from the data guys in the Astros front office and from Alex Cora and his shady stuff

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So Tyler Nevin (who raked in his three games in Toledo this weekend) comes off of the injured list this week.... 

Do they really send Ryan Kreidler down instead of firing Zach McKinstry into the sun?

When Nevin comes up the Hens will have 6 IFs with Wenceel on the DL being 7. Once Perez comes off the DL Kreidler would be 8 unless someone gets sent to Erie.

Man… that article was every sports talk radio cliche all in one place. People still playing the “he liked the wings more” card.  I don’t recall any moratorium on talking bad about Mike Ilitch. Didnt come up at any “official sports talking points” meetings I went to. 

26 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think the honeymoon for A.J. Hinch ended a long, long time ago for a lot of fans, many of whom want to see him fired, like, now.

I don't want to see him fired. He may not be the best bet for a rebuilding team but I don't think it really matters. I would be surprised if he doesn't quit though, I wouldn't blame him.

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

Man… that article was every sports talk radio cliche all in one place. People still playing the “he liked the wings more” card.  I don’t recall any moratorium on talking bad about Mike Ilitch. Didnt come up at any “official sports talking points” meetings I went to. 

I do think the author is correct though in that fans act like this hell that we are living through is something novel in the history of this franchise though. I wasn't around for any of the good that happened in the 1980s.... for some of us, the introduction to this ballclub was the mid to late 1990s. Basically all I knew until 2006 was **** baseball. Mike ended up getting the right guy and we got to see a very successful run, but if we are being completely honest with ourselves, he was a pretty lousy owner during those earlier years.

That's not really an excuse for Chris I, if anything he should learned from the mistakes of his father. But I do think the full bio of the father isn't complete without acknowledging how piss poor they were prior finding success in 2006. It shouldn't have taken that long. And while I wouldn't say there's a "moratorium" on talking about the bad times under Mike I, they sure do get glossed over a lot.

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I do think the author is correct though in that fans act like this hell that we are living through is something novel in the history of this franchise though. I wasn't around for any of the good that happened in the 1980s.... for some of us, the introduction to this ballclub was the mid to late 1990s. Basically all I knew until 2006 was **** baseball. Mike ended up getting the right guy and we got to see a very successful run, but if we are being completely honest with ourselves, he was a pretty lousy owner during those earlier years.

That's not really an excuse for Chris I, if anything he should learned from the mistakes of his father. But I do think the full bio of the father isn't complete without acknowledging how piss poor they were prior finding success in 2006. It shouldn't have taken that long. And while I wouldn't say there's a "moratorium" on talking about the bad times under Mike I, they sure do get glossed over a lot.

I totally agree with that assessment. I think a lot of it isn’t directly glossing over but just forgetting those times.  He did one thing right. He hired DD.   Yes he was willing to spend but there was a downside to that so I can’t quite chalk that up in the plus column. 

having Jimmy D with the Wings along with some great Euro scouts is the difference between th wings and tigers.  

I don't think that Hinch does any particular harm, or any particular good.  It makes no sense to fire him, with the team being so lousy.  And there is no way that he would quit, there is no market for his services based on his performance here and the mutiny in Houston.  He will serve out this contract and quite possibly get an extension.  If the Tigers ever get to be a really good team, he might not be the right leader.