2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

The only thing that gives me pause about Jake in terms of career longevity is that he’s already practically 28, and there aren’t many catchers that are really effective after 30. Flip side, he just spent a whole year not catching, which could help his longevity profile a little. But still, I wouldn’t pass on the best-player-left-is-a-catcher toward the top of the draft to save that spot for Jake for the rest of the 2020s.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:56 AM, chasfh said:

The only thing that gives me pause about Jake in terms of career longevity is that he’s already practically 28, and there aren’t many catchers that are really effective after 30. Flip side, he just spent a whole year not catching, which could help his longevity profile a little. But still, I wouldn’t pass on the best-player-left-is-a-catcher toward the top of the draft to save that spot for Jake for the rest of the 2020s.

If wear and tear are the concern, he basically sat out 2020 (COVID) and 2022 (TJ), so maybe he’ll be able to remain effective for longer.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also the Meadows injury is listed as "anxiety" so sadly it seems that he is still struggling from his mental illness. I am starting to be of the belief that TB totally knew about it or atleast suspected it when they traded him. 

I wonder. He could just be an unlucky long Covid victim. I just hope that possibility hasn't prevented them from looking for other ossible physical drivers - endocrine issues or thyroid/pituitary/brain tumors can also cause mental health shifts that come seemingly out of the blue. Can be easy to miss early on, but are dangerous stuff.

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also the Meadows injury is listed as "anxiety" so sadly it seems that he is still struggling from his mental illness. I am starting to be of the belief that TB totally knew about it or atleast suspected it when they traded him. 

I tend to agree but tough to prove. I hope Harris approaches MLB for an additional draft pick to replace the one Al foolishly traded in the least. It's a fair and easy fix. Tampa keeps their bounty and we get at least some compensation. Having said that I doubt it happens. 

Meadows will retire with salary is my guess.

2 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I tend to agree but tough to prove. I hope Harris approaches MLB for an additional draft pick to replace the one Al foolishly traded in the least. It's a fair and easy fix. Tampa keeps their bounty and we get at least some compensation. Having said that I doubt it happens. 

Meadows will retire with salary is my guess.

Yeah I don't see anyway you can prove it nor do I think that was the sole motivation behind the trade but they may have seen the signs or he may have said things in passing to coaches/players/management that made them think something wasn't right. 

I've been taking medication to treat my social anxiety disorder since I was 17 so the illness hits home to me. I've tried numerous times over the last 25 years to get off the medication and when I do my close friends/family along with myself noticed a difference in me for the worse so I end up going back on them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am very, very familiar with anxiety and it’s serious nature.    Being in a team environment where people count on your performance isn’t conducive with an unpredictable condition like anxiety.  Millions of Americans find a way to manage their episodes without the luxury of being able to walk away from their work responsibilities.   If Austin Meadows is unable to figure out how to control his episodes then he may need to find a different career outside professional baseball.   It’s a tough spot to be in for sure.   

7 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I am very, very familiar with anxiety and it’s serious nature.    Being in a team environment where people count on your performance isn’t conducive with an unpredictable condition like anxiety.  Millions of Americans find a way to manage their episodes without the luxury of being able to walk away from their work responsibilities.   If Austin Meadows is unable to figure out how to control his episodes then he may need to find a different career outside professional baseball.   It’s a tough spot to be in for sure.   

Yep, as I mentioned above with my anxiety disorder I am fine 99+% of the time(by fine I mean relatively speaking) but once in a while in certain situations despite therapy and medication I still get attacks and breakdowns usually in high stress environments with people. It has cost me or atleast kept me from pursuing several promotions throughout my life just because of the environment that came with it. I couldn't imagine struggling with it and trying to have a job like a pro athlete. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

Gotta be honest, parts of our online fanbase have really shown their *** since the announcement. At least online.

The trade may not work out in the end, but it's not worth being so callous about the human beings involved.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Gotta be honest, parts of our online fanbase have really shown their *** since the announcement. At least online.

The trade may not work out in the end, but it's not worth being so callous about the human beings involved.

Agreed. But I also get the frustration that a seemingly good trade when it happen gave us absolutely nothing and you have to wonder who knew what and when

Could it be a return of the Vertigo.     Nick Esasky never got over it - he still has episodes 30 years later.    That sucks, to work so hard to come back and then have a setback like this.   I feel bad for the guy.    The Tigers are goin to be bad whether he plays or not.  Anyone that blames him over this is an idiot. 

Does anyone here remember Mike Ivie? 

How about Kevin Saucier, who thought he was going to kill someone with a wild pitch, so he walked away.