2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

Some people who had severe cases of Vertigo can get overwhelmed even when the Vertigo stops.  Almost like what they call a rebound headache, or a headache echo.   A feeling like it's coming back and I think even imagining that is probably about as debilitation as having it.    I wouldn't be shocked if it has something to do with that.    Vertigo is a physical problem but it can cause emotional issues too.     This is what Nick Esasky went through, he could never shake it.  That's what I was worried about when he went out last year.       I had a very mild case of Vertigo about 15 years ago.  It was only when I first stood up from sitting (I fell a few times) and it lasted maybe 6 weeks, but for a very long time every time I stood up I had to focus on steading myself, even though I knew it was gone.    It's kind of scary.  

There could me multiple reasons impacting his mental health.  I think we’re going to see this more frequently as the stigma associated with it is lessened and people are more comfortable sharing their challenges.
Unless athletes are very different, the incidence of mental health issues are on the rise amongst young people. 

I wish all the best to Austin Meadows and his family as he continues to deal with this difficult problem. As Tigers fans, we should probably get used to the idea that this will be a recurring situation as long as he's here. That's merely a basebal concern, though. The life concern is that he continues to improve and have success in overcoming the debilitating parts of his disorder.

Englert said that Tigers president Scott Harris talked to players this spring to make sure knew about the club’s psychological resources and that there would be no stigma attached to using them.

“Scott brought in like four different psychologists from different backgrounds and came out ahead of everything and said, ‘Hey, if you guys need anything this year to make your minds healthy...” It makes players feel safe if they’re in one of those spots that it’s easy to go forward and say, ‘Hey, this is what’s up. This is what I need.’...It’s a healthy environment to be able to do that, and it’s hopefully what all 30 (MLB) teams will be doing.”

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2023/04/tigers-express-support-for-teammate-fighting-anxiety-no-ones-going-to-judge-him.html

Entering Sunday, Detroit ranked toward the bottom of the league in a plethora of important categories:

• It ranks 29th with a 23.5 CSW%, a measure of called strikes and whiffs induced by its pitchers.
  • Detroit’s lineup ranked 25th with a 7.4 percent walk rate.
  • The team’s 26.9 percent strikeout rate was the third-highest in the league.
  • The Tigers’ 32.4 percent chase rate was the league’s fifth-highest, and the 73.5 percent contact rate from Tigers’ hitters ranked 24th.
  • Tigers starting pitchers ranked last with only 5.14 K/9.
  • The pitching staff as a whole ranked 27th with a first-pitch strike rate of 57.1 percent.

Swing decision is the new launch angle.

Anxiety is indeed very real. I have a child living with it.  Top student A++ top of her class through Freshman year high school. Then in an instant can not attend school. Snap of the fingers. And society though improving is still way behind. Must be drugs. Must be a party kid etc etc. while us parents are just trying to get her out of her room. Scary. Drop out or forced out of school. Only patience in HUGE quantities can overcome this and some are worse than others in time.. 3 years time…she gathered herself. Online high school then community school and proud to say graduating this spring from University of Washington in economics. So Austin Meadows should forget about baseball until he has the time to recover. Maybe send him to Florida his home. Play home games only for Lakeland and work out without any pressure to return to Detroit. Trying to prove he’s worth the money or trade for Detroit while the team losses is futile for his condition. Or retire. He has a new baby and most likely a few million in the bank. 

• Thanks 5

David Brooks wrote a good piece within the last couple of months about watching a lifelong friend go through it later in life, and the friend did not survive it, and after a while Brooks realized that he was completely unequipped to be of any use to his friend.  The words that initially he had thought were "supportive" or "encouraging" just demonstrated how little he had understood about the disease.  He eventually decided that the best thing he could do was just listen. 

25 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Anxiety is indeed very real. I have a child living with it.  Top student A++ top of her class through Freshman year high school. Then in an instant can not attend school. Snap of the fingers. And society though improving is still way behind. Must be drugs. Must be a party kid etc etc. while us parents are just trying to get her out of her room. Scary. Drop out or forced out of school. Only patience in HUGE quantities can overcome this and some are worse than others in time.. 3 years time…she gathered herself. Online high school then community school and proud to say graduating this spring from University of Washington in economics. So Austin Meadows should forget about baseball until he has the time to recover. Maybe send him to Florida his home. Play home games only for Lakeland and work out without any pressure to return to Detroit. Trying to prove he’s worth the money or trade for Detroit while the team losses is futile for his condition. Or retire. He has a new baby and most likely a few million in the bank. 

That's great to hear about your daughter.

52 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Lakeland could be a nice way to ease back into things when he is ready.

I don't understand with how meekly this team is hitting how they aren't bringing Nevin up.   Left Handed/Right Handed doesn't seem to really matter, does it?     Kreidler could use some ABs in Toledo.   Cutting Schoop wouldn't do much to hurt this team.  Maybe some think cutting a veteran would hurt morale, but maybe they need to shake up their morale.  Yeah, I know it's early but it sure feels like a runaway train.  

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'd like Nevin to stay in Toledo for a while.  We know that he isn't going to keep hitting .600 but let's give him a couple of more 10 game blocks and see if he can stay in the high .800 OPS territory for each of those.

I’m not sure Nevin is any answer, based on his performance last year In Baltimore.  He’s still young, though, and worth getting AB’s over Schoop.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not sure Nevin is any answer, based on his performance last year In Baltimore.  

or for that matter in his MiLB career. I'm not going to let myself hope for much from a guy who hasn't proven himself by age 26 unless I have some scouting that he's done the "JD" thing - as in been able to recreate himself as a hitter in some major way. (which is the justification with Carpenter) Otherwise a callup based on a 50AB stretch is just setting ourselves up for disappointment and another DFA.

Edited by gehringer_2

The offense is dead last in OPS, .553 vs league average of .730.  27th in runs/game, 3.00 vs 4.63.

The pitching/defense is second to last at 6.89 runs/game vs league average of 4.63, 26th in WHIP at 1.519 vs 1.343, 29th in SO/BB at 1.49 vs 2.46.

Sure, its only 9 games and expectations weren't great to begin with.  And, sure, the schedule early on ain't exactly kind (which, when a team sucks, any schedule ain't kind).  But this is ridiculous.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

or for that matter in his MiLB career. I'm not going to let myself hope for much from a guy who hasn't proven himself by age 26 unless I have some scouting that he's done the "JD" thing - as in been able to recreate himself as a hitter in some major way. (which is the justification with Carpenter) Otherwise a callup based on a 50AB stretch is just setting ourselves up for disappointment and another DFA.

JD was a moment in time that might not be replicated. He was one of the first, almost ten years ago now, to seek out a data-driven personal hitting coach during the offseason to help him either augment or overcome what the Astros were teaching him. In the parlance of sabermetrics, JD exploited a market inefficiency before his opponents, i.e. other hitters, caught on. And we were the lucky beneficiaries of that, although too late to help us during our division-winning run. He was easing into his best stretch run of his career, and fucking Al Avila couldn’t get rid of him for a bag of used batting practice baseballs fast enough. 

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Nevin's dad didn't really pop until he was around 26 (and, naturally, after he left the Randy Smith Tigers lol). But that may be another case of it being a different time as well

Either way, I don't think calling Nevin up (which will probably happen at some point anyway this season) is about "hope" more than it is a reflection of trying something different when things aren't going well. They are gonna give it more time before doing a major shakeup, but if Scott Harris is as advertised (versus Al), he isn't gonna wait for months like Al did last year on Kerry Carpenter, the changes will happen a little quicker.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Nevin's dad didn't really pop until he was around 26

Either did Mike Cameron. Didn't help Daz. 

I am all on board with Harris pulling the trigger quicker than Al used to do, and I'm not adverse to calling anyone up given the O is already on its way to another epic fail, I just have very limited anticipation Nevin is going to do anything. But that's not the same thing as being averse to trying it anyway. This team is two years past worrying about still being at the 'throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" point.

Edited by gehringer_2