2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I totally agree with that assessment. I think a lot of it isn’t directly glossing over but just forgetting those times.  He did one thing right. He hired DD.   Yes he was willing to spend but there was a downside to that so I can’t quite chalk that up in the plus column. 

having Jimmy D with the Wings along with some great Euro scouts is the difference between th wings and tigers.  

When did Jimmy D get hired? In 1982 or so? They were competitive but never really contenders until Scotty came aboard.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

So Tyler Nevin (who raked in his three games in Toledo this weekend) comes off of the injured list this week.... 

Do they really send Ryan Kreidler down instead of firing Zach McKinstry into the sun?

I guess it might depend upon how they use Nevin.  Is he an everyday 3B or just a 3B vs LHPs?  If the former, DFA McKinstry, he clears and goes to Toledo, meanwhile Maton is the 2B vs RHPs and fill in at 3B and SS.

But then if Nevin is the everyday 3B, Baez is the everyday SS, the Maton/Schoop platoon at 2B, then does Kreidler benefit by riding pine in Detroit or playing regularly in Toledo?  I don’t know, is a bench role Kreidler’s career best bet?

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

He did it in 2021 and they were close to a .500 team.

so when every one says they need to send player x to toledo for playing time rather sitting on the bench in detroit is wrong? you dont think some players need to play everyday to get in a groove?

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

When did Jimmy D get hired? In 1982 or so? They were competitive but never really contenders until Scotty came aboard.

They made the ECF in 87 and 88. They finished first in the Norris in 92. I remember the sporting news picked them to win the cup in 93. Scotty got here.  I remember Ilitch wanted to fire him and bring in Mike Keenan. Scotty also wanted to trade Yzerman at one point. 

the wings fate turned on Yzerman falling to them after the islanders took LaFontaine. Then being aggressive in the European draft when there were so many unknowns. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I do think the author is correct though in that fans act like this hell that we are living through is something novel in the history of this franchise though. I wasn't around for any of the good that happened in the 1980s.... for some of us, the introduction to this ballclub was the mid to late 1990s. Basically all I knew until 2006 was **** baseball. Mike ended up getting the right guy and we got to see a very successful run, but if we are being completely honest with ourselves, he was a pretty lousy owner during those earlier years.

That's not really an excuse for Chris I, if anything he should learned from the mistakes of his father. But I do think the full bio of the father isn't complete without acknowledging how piss poor they were prior finding success in 2006. It shouldn't have taken that long. And while I wouldn't say there's a "moratorium" on talking about the bad times under Mike I, they sure do get glossed over a lot.

He made some ok points, but I think a) fewer fans than Eno thinks have rose-clolored glasses about Mike I and the Tigers. I then most see DD as the reason for the 2006-2014 success, not Mike I: and b) saying baseball is dying in Detroit is being a drama queen. The interest is still there and was intense a decade ago. The team sucks and that will affect ticket and merchandise sales, but 2006-2014 bought them some time. I think it would take another 10 years of losing for fans to permanently stop caring. 

1 minute ago, lordstanley said:

He made some ok points, but I think a) fewer fans than Eno thinks have rose-clolored glasses about Mike I and the Tigers. I then most see DD as the reason for the 2006-2014 success, not Mike I: and b) saying baseball is dying in Detroit is being a drama queen. The interest is still there and was intense a decade ago. The team sucks and that will affect ticket and merchandise sales, but 2006-2014 bought them some time. I think it would take another 10 years of losing for fans to permanently stop caring. 

If winning matter so much in the Detroit how do you explain the Lions selling out? one of the worst franchises in all pro sports and they still have Adults dressing up like fools every sunday home game

7 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

If winning matter so much in the Detroit how do you explain the Lions selling out? one of the worst franchises in all pro sports and they still have Adults dressing up like fools every sunday home game

The lions' losing did dampen the appetite for buying tickets enought they had to go to a smaller stadium (65K) to maintain the ability to sell it out. The fans often had to rely on angel buyers to swoop up the left over tickets at the Silverdome (cap 80K) in bulk to get the blackouts lifted.

Edited by gehringer_2

44 minutes ago, oblong said:

They made the ECF in 87 and 88. They finished first in the Norris in 92. I remember the sporting news picked them to win the cup in 93. Scotty got here.  I remember Ilitch wanted to fire him and bring in Mike Keenan. Scotty also wanted to trade Yzerman at one point. 

the wings fate turned on Yzerman falling to them after the islanders took LaFontaine. Then being aggressive in the European draft when there were so many unknowns. 

True. And I'm glad Stevie eventually got a cup. It's always sad when a great athlete doesn't win a championship. 

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The lions' losing did dampen the appetite for buying tickets enought they had to go to a smaller stadium (65K) to maintain the ability to sell it out. The fans often had to rely on angel buyers to swoop up the left over tickets at the Silverdome (cap 80K) in bulk to get the blackouts lifted.

And they couldn't one year with a playoff game against Green Bay. It was on the radio only.

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

so when every one says they need to send player x to toledo for playing time rather sitting on the bench in detroit is wrong? you dont think some players need to play everyday to get in a groove?

I don’t know.  Personally I think they should try acquiring/developing better baseball players and see how that works.

Diamond Sports misses Guardians, Twins payments

Diamond Sports missed rights fees payments to the Guardians and the Twins and entered a 15-day cure period to make the payment without penalty, according to several sources.

Diamond, which owns and operates the Bally Sports-branded RSNs, made payments on time to at least eight teams within the past week: the Angels, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Marlins, Rays, Royals and Tigers. The fact that Diamond made at least eight payments on time shows that it is serious about emerging from bankruptcy protection as a fully intact company.

One reason for withholding the Twins payment is due not so much to the size of its rights contract but it’s length. The Twins deal with Bally Sports North ends after this season, and sources say the team has not been receptive to cutting a new deal.

The Guardians are in a different situation. That team’s deal with Bally Sports Great Lakes runs through 2027, and while the money is not considered huge -- averaging in the neighborhood of $50 million per year -- the deal carries some terms considered greatly favorable to the team. It’s not clear what those terms are, but it’s worth noting that in 2013, the Guardians owners sold its Cleveland-area RSN -- SportsTime Ohio -- to Fox Sports

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

But isn’t 65K the size of a typical NFL stadium?  I thought the 80K at the Silverdome wasn’t typical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

Only 8 home games and the NFL is wildly more popular than MLB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

But isn’t 65K the size of a typical NFL stadium?  I thought the 80K at the Silverdome wasn’t typical.

It's the reason I had season tickets at the Silverdome. Too many games blacked out by a combination of a bad team and a huge stadium. I usually sold the tickets for the televised games. And tickets there were quite affordable.

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

it was the largest capacity when it opened, but they were filling it regularly for a while and obvious speaking football generically, even 80k would be small for any major college FB team. Most of the newer NFL arenas seat less and that is in part to make sure they are full and also because more space is given over to high income but low occupancy suites.

My buddy had Lions tickets going back to silverdome days. Finally gave them up 4-5 years ago. They called him last year and he signed back up.  He went to two games and made $500 in profit from selling the other games. He’s happy. 

9 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Kreidler is the occam's razor option to send down for Nevin. Short side of 3B platoon, spelling Tork every couple weeks, spelling Miggy once or twice a week. Maton can be the backup SS.

People are too quick to jump the gun on McKinstry.

Too quick to jump the gun on McKinstry in what way?  Are you seeing him as a prospective starter or utility player?  I think he's fine in the utility role, but I am not seeing anything in the numbers that excites me and he's going to be 28 this month.  

I'll be more excited when they release Schoop in order to add Nevin to the roster.

I don't even care if Nevin proves to be nothing more than a bandaid at 3rd or another utility guy... I just want to move on from Schoop. 

Put Nevin at 3rd and Maton at 2nd and mix and match Kreidler/ McKinstry off the bench as needed. If nothing exciting happens with Nevin by mid-season then Malloy should be ready for a call-up (possibly Wenceel as well...? When's he off the DL...?) and we can move to Plan C...

IMO.

If Perez is ready... maybe he pushes McKinstry to waivers...?