2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

Cisnero’s topline numbers have been awesome since about late April. He’s doing the same thing he did for us last year: handily outpitch his peripherals (his walk rate is still a touch elevated at near 10% and his FIP- is 101, versus ERA- of 30, even since then). Fingers crossed he can do that for one more month and we get an actual useful asset in return.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Cisnero’s topline numbers have been awesome since about late April. He’s doing the same thing he did for us last year: handily outpitch his peripherals (his walk rate is still a touch elevated at near 10% and his FIP- is 101, versus ERA- of 30, even since then). Fingers crossed he can do that for one more month and we get an actual useful asset in return.

I'll take one Reese Olson please. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 7:33 AM, Shinzaki said:

They were on a seemingly endless quest for a RH OF with some pop.  They traded for Cowens and Jerry Morales before finally acquiring Larry Herndon and Chet Lemon.

That Kemp for Lemon trade doesn't get enough credit as a building block for 1984.  Lemon solidified the OF defense 

If you recall, the late 70’s/early 80’s teams had tons of LH hitters—Staub, Thompson, Summers, Kemp, Hebner, Gibby.  Probably forgetting others.

Morales didn’t really do anything as a Tiger, but I believe that trade also netted us Senor Smoke, so losing Bob Sykes was worth it.

Interestingly, Morales was in town a few weeks back for a card signing.  I didn’t think he’d have much appeal.

3 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If you recall, the late 70’s/early 80’s teams had tons of LH hitters—Staub, Thompson, Summers, Kemp, Hebner, Gibby.  Probably forgetting others.

Danny Meyer was sort of the vanguard of the long run of LHH. Arrived in '74 but was dealt in '77

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Ben Oglivie was another LH batter.

Don't remember much why but my recollection now is that at the time the org just didn't like Oglivie for some reason. Seemed to be in the dog-house from day one and never really got out. Was  happy for his success in MIL.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Don't remember much why but my recollection now is that at the time the org just didn't like Oglivie for some reason. Seemed to be in the dog-house from day one and never really got out. Was  happy for his success in MIL.

That was a bad trade. Jim Slaton stayed a season and went back to the Brewers as a free agent.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yes he had some power and could run the bases.  Perhaps they didn't like his defense.

My Tigers broadcaster rankings:

1. Dan Dickerson 

-—

4. Andy Dirks

5. Bobby Scales

6. Dan Petry

7. Kirk Gibson

8. Cam Maybin

9. Jim Price

10. Matt Shepard

11. C-Mo

I’d like to see Dirks and Scales split time if/when Jim retires.  Or would love one of those guys moving into the TV booth.  Dirks has been excellent in the games I’ve listened to.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

My Tigers broadcaster rankings:

Agree that Dirks is very good, but do we know if he even wants the job or if this is just moonlighting for him? I'm OK with Scales but he's still sounds a bit too tense to me. Maybe that would pass with time. I'd probably put Maybin a little ahead of Scales for that reason - Cam is more relaxed.

I've probably said it before, but I expected Monroe to be much better when he got his shot, but to my ear he just can't stop overplaying. It's baseball Craig - just dial it down and you'd be way better.

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Agree that Dirks is very good, but do we know if he even wants the job or if this is just moonlighting for him? I'm OK with Scales but he's still sounds a bit too tense to me. Maybe that would pass with time. I'd probably put Maybin a little ahead of Scales for that reason - Cam is more relaxed.

I don’t know Andy’s intent, but he’s a local realtor in a market where there isn’t a lot of inventory.  Great if you’re a seller, but that’s it.  And a lot of folks who locked in when rates were under 3% are less inclined to sell now, because their next house will be financed at 6%.

So, he might be interested.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

And a lot of folks who locked in when rates were under 3% are less inclined to sell now, because their next house will be financed at 6%.

True enough. People's reluctance to move is driving some of the largest scale remodeling job I've seen in years in our neighborhood. People literally doubling the size of houses instead of just moving to something bigger.

Dirks is the best of the guys I've heard with Dan. They seem to have a good rapport and pacing. I don't think I've ever heard him cut Dan off. Maybin is terrible in the booth, although I think he'd excel at the desk. He likes to get into a lot of minutia, and there usually isn't enough time for that in the moment. 

16 hours ago, casimir said:

Speaking of cruddy relievers, I was highly against bringing back Jose Cisnero.  But he has pitched pretty well this season.

I agree about Cisnero, he has not f'd up in every single appearance.  But still, every time he enters the game, I make sure that the ceremonial dagger is within easy reach.

What will we get for him at the deadline?  Maton 2.0

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

True enough. People's reluctance to move is driving some of the largest scale remodeling job I've seen in years in our neighborhood. People literally doubling the size of houses instead of just moving to something bigger.

My real estate friends insist the market is still good.  They are busy.  I thought when rates jumped it would cool but they insist it's not.  Of course they always say everything is good because they want to encourage you to buy/sell.

Dirks is much better than I expected him to be.  He gives really good insight into techniques. It's like he's talking to a peer sometimes.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've probably said it before, but I expected Monroe to be much better when he got his shot, but to my ear he just can't stop overplaying. It's baseball Craig - just dial it down and you'd be way better.

I think Monroe is simply out of his depth with Dan because Dan dives deep into the minutiae of the game, which requires a lot of prep work, and Monroe is a simple just-go-out-and-play kind of guy.

I’d like to know what kind of Tigers broadcast viewer actually likes Craig Monroe. There have to be some of those folks around, right? If everybody hated him he wouldn’t have a job, would he? I imagine it’s the kind of topline fan who believes that Miggy is still hands down the best player on the team. (And over the last month or so, that’s not far from the truth, isn’t it?)

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Monroe is simply out of his depth with Dan because Dan dives deep into the minutiae of the game, which requires a lot of prep work, and Monroe is a simple just-go-out-and-play kind of guy.

I’d like to know what kind of Tigers broadcast viewer actually likes Craig Monroe. There have to be some of those folks around, right? If everybody hated him he wouldn’t have a job, would he? I imagine it’s the kind of topline fan who believes that Miggy is still hands down the best player on the team. (And over the last month or so, that’s not far from the truth, isn’t it?)

He was on the 2006 team so he's "one of the boys".  The casual fan who has the game on during the summer because nothing else is on and they aren't really paying attention.  They ask "why do we always get rid of our good players?"  Brandon Inge fans.

They are glad to to still see Dan Petry on the broadcast and care about "pick to stick" or whatever it is.  They don't like national broadcasts because "those aren't our guys" and complain about them being biased.  The umps hate the Tigers. 

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I agree about Cisnero, he has not f'd up in every single appearance.  But still, every time he enters the game, I make sure that the ceremonial dagger is within easy reach.

What will we get for him at the deadline?  Maton 2.0

I'll gladly take something for Cisnero.  Maybe the return is Olson.  Maybe the return is Maton.  If they don't trade Cisnero, the return is nothing, except maybe Cisnero next season.

• Like 1