2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

While I disliked both the Leflore and Thompson trades at the time, I definitely miss thoses types of deals.  Now, it seems like every trade is some wealthy team trading it's non-favoriote prospects for an expensive veteran.  

Cowans for Thompson was a lousy trade. The Tigers did need to rebalance - they were too left handed, but that was still a poor trade. Injuries did end Jason's career relatvely early - or the trade would have looked even worse.

I think the Willie Hernandez trade falls into that category too, although it was a 2-for-2 swap.  Hernandez had not, up to that point, ever looked like he ended up looking in 1984, & Bergman became such a clutch piece for that team - but @ the time I was bummed they traded John Wockenfuss.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Cowans for Thompson was a lousy trade. The Tigers did need to rebalance - they were too left handed, but that was still a poor trade. Injuries did end Jason's career relatvely early - or the trade would have looked even worse.

Will never forget in one of Cowans first games with us after the trade, he got in a fight with Ed Farmer as retaliation for something that happened when he was with the Angels.  Way to ingratiate yourself with a new team by dragging them into a team brawl that had nothing to do with that actual game.

Watching what Aaron Hicks is doing in Baltimore and I really wish the Tigers would've scooped him up when the Yankees released him at the end of last month, he was available when Greene got injured but the Tigers opted to trade for Marisnick instead.

Anyway Hicks has since posted close to a 1.000 OPS since the acquirement(posted an .869 in May for the Yanks as well) while Marisnick has posted a .514.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Brieske with 1.2 and Wingentner with 1.0 IP for the Hens. No Runs.

Will be interesting to see what the staff looks like when everyone is back.  Reese could go back to Toledo, though he’s made the case to stay.  If you add Skubal, Manning, Brieske and Wingeter over the next 30 days, who goes?  Or so we just keep Brieske and Wingeter in Toledo?  

33 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Will be interesting to see what the staff looks like when everyone is back.  Reese could go back to Toledo, though he’s made the case to stay.  If you add Skubal, Manning, Brieske and Wingeter over the next 30 days, who goes?  Or so we just keep Brieske and Wingeter in Toledo?  

I saw one of the beat guys report that the plan was to put Brieske in the  BP - but you can't send Englert out and Holton has been pretty good so who does that leave? Maybe the BP in Toledo I guess. Faedo will also be back in couple of weeks.  And if ERod is already throwing a BP, he is probably less than a month away also. I guess it would be back to the opening day rotation with Wentz and Faedo in Toledo ----- and Boyd, ERod, Lorenzen all on the clock to be dealt

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

As if all of the pitchers will be healthy at the same time.....

15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Agree, but they all seem to be on a similar trajectory.  And I hadn’t included ERod, who might not be that further behind. Not sure about Faedo’s timing.

I s'pose they could always deploy any extra pitchers as outfielders.  Next level chess.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

As if all of the pitchers will be healthy at the same time.....

Good point. At this day and time that rarely happens for any SP staff for any extended period of time ex 3 SPs giving 180 innings on a team (let alone 200!).

Again, each team needs 10 guys or so from MLB-AA (and waivers, trades, etc.), ready to give SP innings for the MLB team (does not mean each one will in the majors). This has been said several times now from different baseball people while stating their observations.

Edited by alex

22 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers signed Johan Camargo to a minor league contract.  

only 5 Tigers position players have a higher career WAR than Camargo.  

That makes me four for four!

“I would not expect to sign any position-player free agents until after we start playing spring training games. I'm fairly confident we'll get somebody, but probably not a somebody that anybody here really wants on the team as of today. It's going to be somebody we're not talking about now, and who comes here because he needs a job. Think along the lines of Johan Comargo or Cesar Hernandez or Jonathan Davis or Jake Marisnick.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 6/20/2023 at 2:44 PM, gehringer_2 said:

They were on a seemingly endless quest for a RH OF with some pop.  They traded for Cowens and Jerry Morales before finally acquiring Larry Herndon and Chet Lemon.

That Kemp for Lemon trade doesn't get enough credit as a building block for 1984.  Lemon solidified the OF defense 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-buck-farmer-is-flying-under-the-radar-in-cincinnati/

1. I can't believe Buck is still in the league. 2. I can't believe he got a write up on fangraphs and 3. I can't believe he is only 32 freaking years old. Damn did he make his debut for us in High School or something? Seems like he was with us for eons and has been gone for years.