2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

The Oakland A's reverse boycott is fun.  I think we are nearing that level of "Millen Man March" with the Tigers after this stupid long rebuild.   I am willing to give Harris the benefit of the doubt this season because of the structural brokenness of having to play a non-competivive Miggy but dayum.  This June swoon sucks. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

image.png.b779c532c85bbbd0dc8bc58cbfeff23e.png

Small sample size, obviously.  Rogers' SLG rises with his pulse.

Jake is sporting a 550 point OPS platoon split. When I see somehing like that I always wonder that they can't coach shifts in setup or mechanics that would help a guy improve a little against the outside pitch (the usual problem)  even if costs them a little in their success rate against off hand pitching. Just more evidence to me that hitting coaching is pretty close to useless.

37 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The Oakland A's reverse boycott is fun.  I think we are nearing that level of "Millen Man March" with the Tigers after this stupid long rebuild.   I am willing to give Harris the benefit of the doubt this season because of the structural brokenness of having to play a non-competivive Miggy but dayum.  This June swoon sucks. 

There's not much Harris can do about the recent history that he walked into except for put a reasonable product on the field.  It doesn't have to be a playoff team (yet).  Just put something out there that resembles a reasonably competitive team.

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

There's not much Harris can do about the recent history that he walked into except for put a reasonable product on the field.  It doesn't have to be a playoff team (yet).  Just put something out there that resembles a reasonably competitive team.

concur.  It still looks like stink without Riley Green. 

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Harris hasn't had a draft yet. On the surface we see him picking up dregs, but to quote a former president/gm...you try to trade them... 

59 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Harris hasn't had a draft yet. On the surface we see him picking up dregs, but to quote a former president/gm...you try to trade them... 

Yup.  And the the thing with the draft is that there is such a high degree of crapshoot and the time lag to the MLB level payoff of drafting & developing.

Heck, Torkelson probably got rushed up and now there are some that think he's a bust after fewer than 700 PAs and before the age of 24.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yup.  And the the thing with the draft is that there is such a high degree of crapshoot and the time lag to the MLB level payoff of drafting & developing.

Heck, Torkelson probably got rushed up and now there are some that think he's a bust after fewer than 700 PAs and before the age of 24.

Tork had 600 minor league at bats as well. 

31 minutes ago, KL2 said:

and?

To compare Trout had nearly double that

that was my point.

He's had the equivalent of about 3 1/2 full seasons after HS to develop into a major league hitter when you count college, minors, and majors.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oblong said:

that was my point.

He's had the equivalent of about 3 1/2 full seasons after HS to develop into a major league hitter when you count college, minors, and majors.

He had a great college career even if cut short a bit by COVID.  But once college ended, he was done for 2020.

Zipped through the minors with no hint of struggle in 2021.  He looked ready for the part.  At least based on the results lines.

But then struggles in 2022, and I would suggest he wasn’t what he probably should have been in Toledo when he was sent down for a tune up.  And keep in mind the team wide the Tigers suffered last season, too.  Probably not the most ideal environment for a rookie, even a highly touted prospect.  It’s probably the first time he’s been through something like that on a baseball field.

He’s got stuff to work on.  Hopefully he powers through them and becomes the cornerstone that we hoped he’d be when he was drafted.

• Like 1

dfa'ing him gives them nothing

i would be surprised if they got insurance on a 4.3M salary, especially as he had risk (physical and anxiety problems) in 2022 which would drive the price up

add this: they have invested a lot of money and time and energy into developing his brother; no need to piss off Parker, current teammates, or future FA by treating him unkind

Edited by RatkoVarda

11 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

dfa'ing him gives them nothing

i would be surprised if they got insurance on a 4.3M salary, especially as he had risk (physical and anxiety problems) in 2022 which would drive the price up

add this: they have invested a lot of money and time and energy into developing his brother; no need to piss off Parker, current teammates, or future FA by treating him unkind

Plus, he isn't tying up a roster spot.  He's on the 60 day IL, so if they happened to find some reason to add someone to the 40 man roster right now, Meadows wouldn't be blocking that theoretical player.

39 minutes ago, casimir said:

Plus, he isn't tying up a roster spot.  He's on the 60 day IL, so if they happened to find some reason to add someone to the 40 man roster right now, Meadows wouldn't be blocking that theoretical player.

I think the correct and appropriate action is to treat this like a physical injury.  And demonstrate some empathy and understanding.  No one truly knows what he is going through, and I suspect more players will come forward as mental health issues become increasingly prevalent.

As stated, his presence on the roster does not adversely impact the organization.  He should not be discarded.

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

I don't know how insurance for player contracts works; i would think that, when they traded for him, the smart thing to do would be to say, we have this guy for X years, so we need a policy for X years.  If they have to do it a year at a time, you're right, I wouldn't expect that the premium would be worth the coverage 

Edited by theroundsquare