2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sounds like Riley wanted to keep playing and didn't even think he was that injured, don't know if that changes anything but I figure it can't be bad news. 

Between this and the report that he may have over-exercised his way to the injury, this strikes me as a possible bad sign. He may be too eager to push it too early, either because he thinks he feels good or else he wants to test out how he's doing, which would risk re-aggravating it or otherwise lengthening his recovery time. He might be too antsy to just keep off his feet and just rest to start with. (I can relate.) If he's truly like that, I hope he can overcome his instincts and take it as easy as the staff tells him to in order to minimize time off.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Between this and the report that he may have over-exercised his way to the injury, this strikes me as a possible bad sign. He may be too eager to push it too early, either because he thinks he feels good or else he wants to test out how he's doing, which would risk re-aggravating it or otherwise lengthening his recovery time. He might be too antsy to just keep off his feet and just rest to start with. (I can relate.) If he's truly like that, I hope he can overcome his instincts and take it as easy as the staff tells him to in order to minimize time off.

At least with it being FIb instead of Tib there will be less need for him to be competely off his feet.

I believe Cade's was the tibia, also considering the state of the franchise, how important Cade is to the future and the draft having a generational prospect I think its safe to say that the Pistons erred on the side of caution and milked the injury longer than it needed to be. But that's just my assumption. 

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Cade Cunningham...same injury?

Not exactly - IIRC, Cade's stress fracture was in the TIbia. The Tibia bears 85-90% of your weight. Riley's injury is reportedly to the Fibula, relatively low weight bearing (5-15%). So treatment/rehab may be easier. But it depends a lot on how long he has been trying to work/play through it and possibly making it worse.

Edited by gehringer_2

47 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not exactly - IIRC, Cade's stress fracture was in the TIbia. The Tibia bears 85-90% of your weight. Riley's injury is reportedly to the Fibula, relatively low weight bearing (5-15%). So treatment/rehab may be easier. But it depends a lot on how long he has been trying to work/play through it and possibly making it worse.

Yeah, I get that. I've just seen too many injuries that need "rest" and then 2 months later, requires surgery. Over and over...

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I get that. I've just seen too many injuries that need "rest" and then 2 months later, requires surgery. Over and over...

they did mess around a long time with Cade. I sort of thought when they announced surgery for him it was going to transpire  that the diagnosis had changed to 'compartment syndrome'  for which surgery is more common,  and which is not always easy to tell apart - but the team press releases continued to say stress fractures. Maybe it was just healing too slow for their liking because it's more common to just leave that alone to heal by itself - esp since he wasn't going to be try and come back until next season anyway. Or maybe in folks that tall it needs more stabilization....

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

they did mess around a long time with Cade. I sort of thought when they announced surgery for him it was going to transpire  that the diagnosis had changed to 'compartment syndrome'  for which surgery is more common,  and which is not always easy to tell apart - but the team press releases continued to say stress fractures. Maybe it was just healing too slow for their liking because it's more common to just leave that alone to heal by itself - esp since he wasn't going to be try and come back until next season anyway. Or maybe in folks that tall it needs more stabilization....

Not just Cade. There were several Tiger pitchers who held off and eventually got surgery. We'll see how it goes with Greene. Hopefully he'll be back sometime in July. Or we'll be 20 games out and they'll decide he needs surgery after all.....

Just remember: this year is nothing like now or never. This year is more like, "Not now—later." Yeah, I know it's been like that since 2016, but the difference is that now, there's a real plan.

To the degree we can win with what we have, it's great. But we need to get used to the idea that what we have now is what we're going to have for the rest of the year. Do not expect any future hopes to come back this year and dominate, or maybe even come back this year at all. Right now, in 2023, the important moves are those happening behind the scenes, not on the field.

Zen.

"One positive piece of injury news for Tigers fans comes from Riley Greene, who Chris McCosky of The Detroit News notes had his left fibula injury downgraded from a stress fracture to a stress reaction in Detroit’s recent medical report. While the news doesn’t change Greene’s expected timetable for return, it’s nonetheless a reassuring sign that his injury is less severe than originally thought."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/06/tigers-notes-faedo-skubal-greene.html

On 6/3/2023 at 7:04 PM, casimir said:

I'm not sure they ever really had one this season.

Avila at least usually had a Hutchison, a Peralta, or a Leiter stashed at Toledo. Harris again doing lots of "observing." Sure hope he decides soon if this team sucks or not.

• Like 1