2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

or Hinch just wants to win every game he can without regard to development value because his cachet as a manager is rapidly taking on water running this team. I wouldn't find that unlikely at all.

>Maybe because they have already rigorously attempted to get Baddoo to hit lefties better and have determined that he simply can't do so

What is the evidence to support this conclusion?

"Maybe statements" are not conclusions, and I don't have to provide evidence for this "maybe" statement any more than you have to provide evidence that they never have done so.

Edited by chasfh
Clarifying the concept of "maybe statements" with quotes

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

The Tigers are late to the heavy platoon party (and Sparky was early to it). Get used to it. The days of the same 9 guys starting a majority of games are over.

1972 Tigers and Billy Martin excelled with platooning. It's been around forever. 

I'm also laughing at the speculation that Hinch is short-sightedly focused only on winning today's game at all costs and is disregarding every developmental consideration, contradictory to Scott Harris's goals.

I believe, rather strongly actually, that it is very unlikely that Harris and Hinch are at loggerheads and working at cross-purposes, and that is it very likely they are very much on the same page regarding the direction and development of this entire franchise. I have no evidence to support that conclusion beyond almost eight months of public statements.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm also laughing at the speculation that Hinch is short-sightedly focused only on winning today's game at all costs and is disregarding every developmental consideration, contradictory to Scott Harris's goals.

I believe, rather strongly actually, that it is very unlikely that Harris and Hinch are at loggerheads and working at cross-purposes, and that is it very likely they are very much on the same page regarding the direction and development of this entire franchise. I have no evidence to support that conclusion beyond almost eight months of public statements.

yeah  - I get that, but the I'm also old enough to remember that Hinch's first year with Avila was quite a public statement lovefest as well - so call me jaded....:classic_sleep:.

Don't get me wrong, I like alot about Hinch, but I also think he is much more the shapeshifter than we give him credit for. I think his public presentation is much more calculated than it appears and that that is by design. Again, I woldn't even call that a fault in a person doing his job, but it does mean keep the salt close by.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yeah  - I get that, but the I'm also old enough to remember that Hinch's first year with Avila was quite a public statement lovefest as well - so call me jaded....:classic_sleep:.

Don't get me wrong, I like alot about Hinch, but I also think he is much more the shapeshifter than we give him credit for. I think his public presentation is much more calculated than it appears and that that is by design. Again, I woldn't even call that a fault in a person doing his job, but it does mean keep the salt close by.

Agree—I'm also sure Hinch's public presentation is designed to elicit certain responses and engender confidence in him. I'm not so sure it's all a ruse to mask underhanded intentions that would be detrimental to the franchise. Just because he's careful about his public statements in his role as manager of the team doesn't per se mean he's a slimeball. I acknowledge you're not at all saying that, although I would also guess that some fans might wonder about that.

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Riley got hurt?     

I see Jake's Career OBP is .281...........this doesn't really fit what they're going for, does it?  

Well, we got within 1 game of .500 and 1 game of first place.   I think that's as far as they get.  Here comes the nosedive. 

Riley has a fractured tibia

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I have the same (over?)reaction.  Is he going to be one of those players who gets injured every year?  

has anyone noticed that Riley was running sort of funny this season? I didn't remember if he has alway done that but he has had sort of a 'mincing' way of running recently at least. I wonder if he has been trying to play through discomfort for some time. Actually I don't wonder - he must have, stress fractures develop over time.

Can't really fault him for the foul off the foot last year, but it does seem to be a little concerning that he would get a stress fracture in his fibula at the age of 22, particularly when he only played part of last season, played no offseason ball and is only 2 months into this year so it's not like he has been overworked. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Can't really fault him for the foul off the foot last year, but it does seem to be a little concerning that he would get a stress fracture in his fibula at the age of 22, particularly when he only played part of last season, played no offseason ball and is only 2 months into this year so it's not like he has been overworked. 

The flip side it that its probably young players most likely to overtrain/over-practice. Shoes probably play a part too. When you hit your 20's and your bones all harden up sometimes you don't realize you need to transition to a more shock absorbing shoe than you have been using without issue until something like this happens.

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

has anyone noticed that Riley was running sort of funny this season? I didn't remember if he has alway done that but he has had sort of a 'mincing' way of running recently at least. I wonder if he has been trying to play through discomfort for some time. Actually I don't wonder - he must have, stress fractures develop over time.

He seems to me to have a weird run.  Its kind of cartoonish in a way.  His upper body almost seems to trail his legs.  That's probably bot the case at all, but his upper body doesn't seem to be in front of his legs like others.  Its not very athletic looking to me (which is rich coming from someone that can have their 40 timed with a sun dial).

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

we're not allowed to have nice things.  😞

2024 will be interesting with all of these players who are injured and under team control coming back.

The rotation candidates:

Mize

Skubal

Turnbull

Manning

ERod (if he doesn’t opt out)

Brieske

Faedo

Wentz

Guys knocking on the door: Flores, Madden, Olsen and Hurter.

• Like 1