2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Can't really fault him for the foul off the foot last year, but it does seem to be a little concerning that he would get a stress fracture in his fibula at the age of 22, particularly when he only played part of last season, played no offseason ball and is only 2 months into this year so it's not like he has been overworked

Should'of sat him vs LHPs more offen.

Wow. Their .577 winning percentage in May was their best month in 7 years. That’s unbelievable. That’s like a good month. Nothing special. 4 games over .500. And it’s the best they’ve had in SEVEN years. I’m actually stunned by that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Oh...i heard it was the tibia.  Stupid fake news 

Yeah - Tibia was the inital story. Of course when you have beat reporters who remain sports medicine illiterate enough that they don't even have a clear idea of what TJ surgery is after covering baseball for years, what do you expect?

Edited by gehringer_2

I'd be more than happy if he returned by the All Star Break, if he returned by the end of June that would be even better but lets be honest more than likely we'll be looking at an August return at best given how players seem to recover on our team. If the prognosis is say 6-10 weeks you can bet your ass it's going to be closer to 10 than it is 6. 

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Tibia was the inital story. Of course when you have beat reporters who remain sports medicine illiterate enough that they don't even have a clear idea of what TJ surgery is after covering baseball for years, what do you expect?

McCosky still thinks Tommy John Surgery involves a strained nerve.

10 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Fibula... Biiiiiiiig difference. The Tibia is weight-bearing. I bet Greene is back by the end of June.

My only broken bone was my left tibia. I was fifteen and on a skateboard being pulled along by a bike with butterfly handlebars and a banana seat through a grade school parking lot. I’d had almost no experience on a skateboard, and it showed when it jerked up from under me and I landed ankle bone first on the asphalt. They put me in a cast on my brother’s birthday. After a week on crutches they put me in a walking cast. I was walking normally on it within three weeks. I even hit a softball home run with someone running for me in ninth grade gym class. The cast came off on my birthday. That was almost exactly eight weeks. Good as new. Never a problem since. I am not a major league athlete.

The Baseball Prospectus Injury Ledger seemed to show about 4-6 weeks for a fibula stress fracture, but there's a large variance.

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/fibular-stress-fractures-va-214.htm

Good info in the link above. The key is rest, otherwise you run the risk of recurrance, so while the injury is likely minor, shutting it down for a week or two and being conservative on the rehab is likely prudent. Kinda similar in that regard in a lot of ways to E-Rod's injury.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sounds like Riley wanted to keep playing and didn't even think he was that injured, don't know if that changes anything but I figure it can't be bad news. 

Hard to know - the flip side would be that stress fractures usually take time get to where they hurt enough to make you wince so there is at least some likelihood he's been nursing this privately for a bit. But if they really are catching this at the 1st sign of discomfort, he should be at the short end of the recovery time range.