2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

39 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think it's unlikely.

I dont know if it is or isn't. But when I listened to Cody Stavenhagen and his buddy or Evan Petzold and Mark Gorosh bring this up when the bullpen was struggling early on, the default position was that he was there for the taking and the Tigers just didn't do it. And the fanbase largely adopted that line.

They don't know that and we don't know that. The tell is that Cody and Evan (who I both respect) all (not entirely unjustified, fwiw) complain about their access to info from the org... and that they don't get much for better or for worse.

The absence of access leaves a vacuum which gets filled with these sorts of assertions. But there just isn't anything hard to go off of as far as I can tell.

Edited by mtutiger

Chafin took the opt out after his first year here. The first year was $5.5 million plus a $1 million bonus.  The second year was worth $6.5 million. He signed with Arizona for one year and $6.5 million.

Were the Tigers supposed to bid against themselves for his services? He chose not to be here. Bye failed starter.

I am confident Chafin would have made himself available to the Tigers at some price.   He said he wanted to stay in the Midwest so he would be close to his farm and then he went to Arizona who made the best offer.  The Tigers didn't want to pay whatever price it would have taken to sign him.  I think adding relievers was not a priority of Harris during the off-season.  I don't really fault him for that.      

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

Chafin took the opt out after his first year here. The first year was $5.5 million plus a $1 million bonus.  The second year was worth $6.5 million. He signed with Arizona for one year and $6.5 million.

Were the Tigers supposed to bid against themselves for his services? He chose not to be here. Bye failed starter.

Maybe he really wanted to play in Arizona, but I think he over over estimated his value at the time of the opt out.  It seemed like a good move at the time.  I thought he'd be able to get a two-year deal.   

Money and family are huge considerations, but workplace environment can matter as well. Tork's comments recently about how this year has been much different in the clubhouse than last year and how the clubhouse felt like "a morgue" in 2022 speaks to that.

Chafin was a part of that clubhouse last year, on the inside... maybe that left an impression. Just as the vibes around the 2022 team could have left an impression on other free agents as well.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Money and family are huge considerations, but workplace environment can matter as well. Tork's comments recently about how this year has been much different in the clubhouse last year and how the clubhouse felt like "a morgue" in 2022.

Chafin was a part of that clubhouse last year, on the inside... maybe that left an impression. Just as the vibes around the 2022 team could have left an impression on other free agents as well.

If the morgue offered him enough money/years, I bet he would have taken it.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If the morgue offered him enough money/years, I bet he would have taken it.  

Maybe, but the morgue likely requires more money (sometimes a lot more) than someplace that is ultimately more desirable.

Just ask the KC Royals, who gave an outgeous contract to Jordan Lyles this past offseason.

46 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe, but the morgue likely requires more money (sometimes a lot more) than someplace that is ultimately more desirable.

Just ask the KC Royals, who gave an outgeous contract to Jordan Lyles this past offseason.

He's 32 years old.  I bet if they offered him two years, he would have taken it. I think they just weren't focused on relievers.  If he had not opted out, they probably would have traded him.  

The obsession with Fulmer and Chafin goes hand-in-hand with the obsession with several other ex-Tigers. I don't know if it is just because the fan base has heard of them, but there's a reason the team has stunk for the past 8 years, so there's no reason for ex-Tiger to be a criteria.

• Like 1

One of the things I have wondered more than once about Chafin is whether he wanted to get out of Detroit because it was clear right away that the entire culture was going to get stripped down and changed. A lot of players would prefer playing in a traditional jockocratic management culture versus being in a situation that’s driven by data science and gizmos, and based on things I read from and about Chafin the past year, he strikes me as one of those guys. After all, he left the region that he was on record as really wanting to play in for the exact same terms (1/6.5) that he would have had here, and the Diamondbacks are considered to be laggards in analytics. I’m pulling this somewhat out of my ear based on my cloudy memories reading about Chafin last season. 

14 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Money and family are huge considerations, but workplace environment can matter as well. Tork's comments recently about how this year has been much different in the clubhouse than last year and how the clubhouse felt like "a morgue" in 2022 speaks to that.

Which is funny to me because the Bally broadcast would have you believe that Fulmer, Jeimer and Chafin were the best clubhouse guys ever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

After all, he left the region that he was on record as really wanting to play in for the exact same terms

lot of possibilities, most of which may all be true at the same time. Heck, he may have discovered that playing for a team geographically close actually made zero difference in how often he could actually 'get home' during a baseball season so that having achieved that end, realized it didn't really matter.

32 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Which is funny to me because the Bally broadcast would have you believe that Fulmer, Jeimer and Chafin were the best clubhouse guys ever

And now they say that Eduardo Rodriguez, Javier Báez, and Akil Baddoo are the best clubhouse guys ever.  What a coincidence!  

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

And now they say that Eduardo Rodriguez, Javier Báez, and Akil Baddoo are the best clubhouse guys ever.  What a coincidence!  

He's been interviewed during games a few times this season.  He's been pretty good with that interaction.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

lot of possibilities, most of which may all be true at the same time. Heck, he may have discovered that playing for a team geographically close actually made zero difference in how often he could actually 'get home' during a baseball season so that having achieved that end, realized it didn't really matter.

He probably already knew what it was like to be close to home having played in Chicago, fwiw.

Nonetheless, there are a multitude of reasons he may not have come back. And despite it being the default assumption, it may not be all about the Tigers or their effort to bring him back.

34 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Here's something that may or may not be meaningful:

Matt Boyd splits: 

Home - 0-4 | 22 2/3 IP | 8.34 ERA | 1.90 WHIP | 17 K | 15 BB

Away - 3-0 | 25 2/3 IP | 3.86 ERA | 1.01 WHIP | 27 K | 7 BB

Opposition explains part of that. Didn't hurt that two of the starts he won on the road came against Stl & Wsn while he got hammered at home in starts against Baltimore Tx, and Seattle.

there is also this:

Inning| OPS

1st: 514

2nd: 688

3rd: 506 

4th: 834

5th: 739

6th: 1.386

44 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He probably already knew what it was like to be close to home having played in Chicago, fwiw.

Nonetheless, there are a multitude of reasons he may not have come back. And despite it being the default assumption, it may not be all about the Tigers or their effort to bring him back.

fair point, although I can believe someone who had dealt with Chicago might hold out hope that Det would be a lot easier to get in out of than there. I just remember that during a stretch where I was doing a lot of job traveling that in the end, you are either home or you are not, in an era of air travel and electronic communication - distance - at least within the four time zones of the continental US - is pretty immaterial. The physical distance between A and B doesn't add much of anything to the psychological distance and is only even a minor part of the effort to travel between them, it's all the other stuff.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

Yeah to me I never understood the playing closer to home aspect when it came to pro athletes.

Unless you are actually playing at or in the surrounding area of your home then to me it really wouldn't make much difference whether you're a 5 hour car ride or 20 hour cause the likelihood you're going to find the time to do either during the season is minimal.

You could argue it makes it easier for your family to come see you and there is some merit to that but when you have the financial means that these guys have its not hard for them to fly their fam into wherever they are playing anytime the fam wants to come see you.