2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Candy was an optional 7 million as Schoop was a fixed cost so that’s why we kept Schoppie the RBI machine. 
But I was all for letting Candy go and still am since he was too inconsistent to sign for multiple years. Glad he is doing ok in DC. 

Multiple years was not on the table. I wanted him back for a single year.

• Like 1

Cabrera was arguably the best position player in baseball from 2008 (first Tigers season) through 2016. He had the best WAR in baseball in that timespan.  From 2017 through the present, he has the 3rd worst WAR in MLB.  I'm not sure if there has ever been such a sustained period of excellence combined with such a sustained period of awful play in a player's career before.  Pujols would be the closest comp but then he kind of ruined it because he did so well his last season, so Cabrera probably beats him. Also, Pujols had a more gradual fall at first whereas Cabrera was a 5 win player in 2016 and then has been a replacement level player or worse every year since.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

25% of the season over, and Schoop still doesn’t have an RBI.  That’s insane.

This team should not be carrying both Miggy and Schoop on the roster, and Cabrera isn’t going anywhere.

Schoop may only be around right now until Carpenter returns or if Malloy is promoted.

As long as Schoop hits LHP—he’s 11-for-32 against that—he has enough actual value to keep running him out there, hoping for some return in July. But if he dries up against southpaws, there’s no remaining reason to keep him around.

31 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Tigers trade Jonathan Davis for Miami’s OF Brady Allen.  A few positives—5th rounder, only 23 and takes a few walks.

https://twitter.com/detroittigerspr/status/1660755025503698944?s=46&t=3s7o7paxNgAr2rBy91RdPA

He’s basically organizational filler that we picked up in lieu of nothing. Davis had a clause in his contract that stipulated if he didn’t make the 40-man by a certain point, he had to be made available to any team who would tout him on theirs, so we could’ve gotten nothing in return. That’s fine, not everybody we pick up has to be shining prospect.

12 hours ago, chasfh said:

He’s basically organizational filler that we picked up in lieu of nothing. Davis had a clause in his contract that stipulated if he didn’t make the 40-man by a certain point, he had to be made available to any team who would tout him on theirs, so we could’ve gotten nothing in return. That’s fine, not everybody we pick up has to be shining prospect.

Do you have the reporting on Davis' out clause? I am not doubting you, but I do know there are standard opt out dates in the new CBA. June 1 is one of them, so I anticipate a lot of trades like this and a lot of potentially minor moves in the next couple weeks.

My bad, the standard opt outs are only for MLB free agents who sign minor league deals during the offseason. This wouldn't apply to Davis (or Teheran). Minor league free agent opt outs are sparsely reported, so I was just curious about the details of Davis's. It makes sense that he would have one. 

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Bah! That's not development results, that's org filler. Humbug!

That's accurate, nobody cares about Grant Witherspoon.  Probably Keith is staying in Erie to play third base.  They need to find out if either he or Malloy can actually do it.  That guy who wrote the top 34 article a couple of weeks ago says neither of them can.

26 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's accurate, nobody cares about Grant Witherspoon.  Probably Keith is staying in Erie to play third base.  They need to find out if either he or Malloy can actually do it.  That guy who wrote the top 34 article a couple of weeks ago says neither of them can.

Colt probably could use a bump up to AAA, but the lack of position situation is an issue for him as well. It will happen at some point.

People are uber-aggressive with him regardless... the Free Podcast (featuring old friend sportz) spent 10 mins this week advocating moving him up to the ML level which, idk, seems kinda premature.

Edited by mtutiger

I don't know if it's common among all fan bases but it does seem like Tigers fans are overly eager about pushing guys(myself included) like a guy will have a hot few weeks and we'll immediately be advocating a promotion.

I like to think it's because weve had so few great prospects over the years, atleast relative to other teams so when we actually get guys that are performing we almost don't know how to react.