2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

The inverse of the Turnbull injury was the Sam Bowen "Detroit? No.. I'm hurt" caper of 1981.  On the eve of the players strike of 1981, the Tigers acquired OF Sam Bowen (at AAA Pawtucket) from Boston.  Not wanting to go to Detroit to carry a picket sign for no $$...Bowen claimed an injury that allowed him to stay in Pawtucket while earning his meager AAA salary

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

How has he been pitching if he was hurt ? So Boras got him an MRI and forced his way on the DL so he didn't have to report to AAA ? Did Turnbull fake an injury or did the Tigers ignore an injury ? And after he is "healed" will they send him down anyway ? 

Players play hurt all the time, especially players without long-term security whose career prospects might be affected by a single bad performance. In addition to having warrior mentalities, they also don’t want to be seen as malingerers not to be trusted to go to battle on the field, and who could moved off the roster in exchange for someone who will be more reliable. That’s a big part of what keeps guys playing hurt.

I’m not sure how effectively Turnbull could fake an injury enough to fool Tigers medical staff, but it is a pretty canny tactic to come clean with the owie before having to shuffle off to Toledo. I think Turnbull is a man with agency and knows what he’s doing, so good for him. He has to act in the best interest of his and his family’s future.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Players play hurt all the time, especially players without long-term security whose career prospects might be affected by a single bad performance. In addition to having warrior mentalities, they also don’t want to be seen as malingerers not to be trusted to go to battle on the field, and who could moved off the roster in exchange for someone who will be more reliable. That’s a big part of what keeps guys playing hurt.

I’m not sure how effectively Turnbull could fake an injury enough to fool Tigers medical staff, but it is a pretty canny tactic to come clean with the owie before having to shuffle off to Toledo. I think Turnbull is a man with agency and knows what he’s doing, so good for him. He has to act in the best interest of his and his family’s future.

I see your point thanks but after healing won't he find himself in the minors anyway? Or do rehab minor league assignments incur service time and being assigned to the minor leagues don't ? Is there a difference ? And did Turnbull claim injury or Boras ?

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I see your point thanks but after healing won't he find himself in the minors anyway? Or do rehab minor league assignments incur service time and being assigned to the minor leagues don't ? Is there a difference ? And did Turnbull claim injury or Boras ?

He will almost certainly throw his next pitch in the minors, but in the meantime he will accumulate major league service time while he is on the major leagues IL, which would not have been the case had he reported to Toledo first, then went on the minors IL. Apparently Turnbull’s service time is close enough where it might make a difference in how soon he can become a free agent.

As for Boras, I don’t know where he fits into the equation. Trumbull met with Harris, Hinch, and Fetter after his terrible start on Saturday and they identified some things they want Turnbull to work on in the minors. Then, according to Harris, shortly after Turnbull left the room he called back to say he was hurt. The Tigers optioned Turnbull the next day. Nothing happened for a couple days, then Turnbull hired Boras on Wednesday. Boras says he expedited the medical review and then the Tigers put Turnbull on the IL on Thursday. Meanwhile he accrues major league pay and service time.

I’m getting a feeling Turnbull was kind of dicking around with the Tigers for a few days, they went back and forth discussing who knows exactly what, Turnbull then officially hired Boras, whom Turnbull may or may not have consulted with beforehand, and then Boras put pressure on the Tigers to rescind the option and put Turnbull on the big league IL. From Turnbull’s standpoint, it’s the more lucrative, advantageous move. From the Tigers standpoint, I gotta wonder how appreciative they are of Spencer Turnbull as an integral part of the team. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Tigers try to get him as healthy as possible and then offer him in a trade package, although I don’t see how he can headline any trade himself. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’m getting a feeling Turnbull was kind of dicking around with the Tigers for a few days....

Boras says he expedited the medical review

I've never gotten the impression that Boros is one to play games and in fact I imagine once Turnbull hired him he made sure everyone had their cards face-up on the table. Boros plays a hard game and plays it better than almost anyone,  but he is well respected everywhere in the league because 'dicking around' is something he doesn't do. Maybe he'll be good for Turnbull if Spencer does have a tendancy to be that way.

Miguel Cabrera has been even worse than Schoop. He is definitely falling off the planet at the end here. I think we might start seeing the one-game-per-series thing plus the occasional garbage time pinch-hitting appearance from here on out.

With the win today against the M’s, the Tigers have now completed that tough 40-game stretch to start the season that we’ve been talking about basically since last October.

We finished this stretch 18-21, with one game postponed until July. That’s a lot better than the 12-28 I had thought would be the acceptable floor.

Not only did we beat that record pretty well, but we have looked very, very good at times while doing it.

I still like my 75-win prediction.

54 minutes ago, chasfh said:

With the win today against the M’s, the Tigers have now completed that tough 40-game stretch to start the season that we’ve been talking about basically since last October.

We finished this stretch 18-21, with one game postponed until July. That’s a lot better than the 12-28 I had thought would be the acceptable floor.

Not only did we beat that record pretty well, but we have looked very, very good at times while doing it.

I still like my 75-win prediction.

It is interesting that you seem really positive about the Tigers this year compared to me and you have them winning only 3 more games than me!  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It is interesting that you seem really positive about the Tigers this year compared to me and you have them winning only 3 more games than me!  

Ha haaaa! I know right!

I wouldn’t say I would be thrilled with a 75-win season, but almost regardless of how many games they end up winning, I believe in the direction this front office is taking the organization. Anything can happen and I could be disappointed, but I am willing to put my faith out there and risk getting dragged by the cool kids here for it. 😁 

The Tigers certainly have more wins than I thought they would have at this point in the season, but I expect there will be a streak where their pitchers just go through a rough spell.  They have a really quality bullpen though, and that is a big factor as to why they have as many wins as they do.  I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them go through a really rough month though.