2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

20 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Got another ex-Tiger the beat is hyping up.

There's a bit of luck to his numbers out there. His LOB is high, his BABIP is low, his HR9 is one is the lowest on that team (which plays at 3,700'), and his walk rate is over double what it was in Toledo. As a result, is FIP is 3.64, whereas in Toledo it was 3.88, which is not all that different. However, his ELP xFIP is 4.46 whereas his TOL xFIP was 3.78, which is decidedly all that different. The one possible good thing for him is that he has been beating the ball into the gorund at a 50% clip, which, still, could be SSS theater. Bottom line, thought, the Padres are a bottom ten bullpen in many key metrics, so even Drew Carlton will get a fair hearing out there.

On 5/14/2023 at 4:40 PM, chasfh said:

With the win today against the M’s, the Tigers have now completed that tough 40-game stretch to start the season that we’ve been talking about basically since last October.

We finished this stretch 18-21, with one game postponed until July. That’s a lot better than the 12-28 I had thought would be the acceptable floor.

Not only did we beat that record pretty well, but we have looked very, very good at times while doing it.

I still like my 75-win prediction.

I think 75 wins might be very close to the final result. Will they reach .500 in May??

The previous 2 years I remember thinking how terrible it was when we started 9-23 well they have another 11 losses on that. Also as bad as the Central is the As still have a worse diff than the 2nd 3rd and 4th place team combined in it and not a whole helluva lot off from the bottom 3.

Edited by RandyMarsh

On 5/17/2023 at 4:10 PM, Scottwood said:

Cabrera is arguably the worst player in MLB and I don't get why he is playing anymore.  At least if your goal is to win, that is. 

It's funny cause my "memory" on FB today is a post I made there in 2013 that said "Miguel Cabrera is on pace to hit .380 with 35HRs, 175RBIS and a 1.068OPS this year. It's not fair how good he is." 

Feels like a lifetime ago now.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's funny cause my "memory" on FB today is a post I made there in 2013 that said "Miguel Cabrera is on pace to hit .380 with 35HRs, 175RBIS and a 1.068OPS this year. It's not fair how good he is." 

Feels like a lifetime ago now.

ha ha... mine also had a similar memory where Buster said it's like watching Ruth in 27, Williams in '49. HOF caliber at their peak.

• Like 1

The overarching goal of any team is to win, but that goal is also tempered by the reality of roster abilities and likely outcomes. A team constructed in such a way that everyone knows they’re not going to make the playoffs, such as the Tigers, don’t have the same urgency to win this game here 162 times a year, as playoff bubble teams do. So they can manage to other goals, such as keeping players fresh to nurse owies or to last the whole season, or marketing legends way beyond their sell-by dates, while hoping that everyone still puts it together more often than not and wins enough to keep fans happy, all the while not affecting their expected season outcome.

33 minutes ago, oblong said:

ha ha... mine also had a similar memory where Buster said it's like watching Ruth in 27, Williams in '49. HOF caliber at their peak.

Yeah I ended up tagging my one friend in it and replying today cause somebody first originally responded with "another 5 years of this and you're talking about a top 5 or 10 hitter of all time" to which the guy I tagged today responded with something like "with his body type in 5 years I'll be surprised if he will even beable to move."

I told him today that he was more right than he couldve ever imagined.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

The overarching goal of any team is to win, but that goal is also tempered by the reality of roster abilities and likely outcomes. A team constructed in such a way that everyone knows they’re not going to make the playoffs, such as the Tigers, don’t have the same urgency to win this game here 162 times a year, as playoff bubble teams do. So they can manage to other goals, such as keeping players fresh to nurse owies or to last the whole season, or marketing legends way beyond their sell-by dates, while hoping that everyone still puts it together more often than not and wins enough to keep fans happy, all the while not affecting their expected season outcome.

Would have been to have signed a bat this off-season but hey everyone on here said it would’ve been a waste because we wouldnt compete 

3 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Would have been to have signed a bat this off-season but hey everyone on here said it would’ve been a waste because we wouldnt compete 

Meadows was was going to be back and that would be like a new signing......

(that's not to rag on the guy but issues like his do make hell for roster planning.)

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

We couldn’t have signed an impact bat this offseason if they wanted to, at least without dramatically overpaying.

Just now, chasfh said:

We couldn’t have signed an impact bat this offseason if they wanted to, at least without dramatically overpaying.

How do you know? …..30 million is coming of the books why not spend it one year early? The market isn’t that great this offseason

Plus you had to believe that Greene and Tork were going to be better than last year and while Greene appears to have taken that next step recently as a whole they haven't been a whole helluva lot better.

If they both took steps for the year like Greene has this month then that wouldve been like adding two impact bats vs last years team. 

Just now, Toddwert said:

How do you know? …..30 million is coming of the books why not spend it one year early? The market isn’t that great this offseason

Who should they have signed and what amount could we have signed them for, in your opinion?

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Plus you had to believe that Greene and Tork were going to be better than last year and while Greene appears to have taken that next step recently as a whole they haven't been a whole helluva lot better.

If they both took steps for the year like Greene has this month then that wouldve been like adding two impact bats vs last years team. 

Not a few posters here thought TORK! was already done and could never improve.