2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

Ibanez has been in a 2 week death spiral and is somehow how worse than Schoop, who at least gives you some D and singles vs. LHP. Carpenter and Kreidler's injuries are keeping them both around.

Nevin did not impress but is raking in Tol;  hope he gets another look soon.

McKinstry and Maton have traditional splits, so that might save Schoop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

Josh Jung is crushing it for the Rangers right now.  Too bad the Tigers organization can't find guys like that in the draft.

It will be interesting to see if draft fortunes change beginning with this upcoming draft.

Our old friend Jose Iglesias opted out of his deal with the Padres and is now available. Yeah it's an empty BA but he hit .271 and .292 the past 2 seasons along with still having plus defense. I'd rather take an empty BA like that than the sub .200 we're getting from Scoop and Ibanez. Also he did play 2nd and 3rd in small samples in recent years so he should be able to play all along the diamond which gives us more versatility over them two.  

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Our old friend Jose Iglesias opted out of his deal with the Padres and is now available. Yeah it's an empty BA but he hit .271 and .292 the past 2 seasons along with still having plus defense. I'd rather take an empty BA like that than the sub .200 we're getting from Scoop and Ibanez. Also he did play 2nd and 3rd in small samples in recent years so he should be able to play all along the diamond which gives us more versatility over them two.  

He's an empty batting average, although he appears to still have plus-D. I don't know, he seems to have more past than future. I suppose you could put him out there in place of Ibanez. Just don't be surprised if he does exactly as well.

I'm guessing the Tigers don't act on this. I wouldn't think they would want to do musical roster because of the sense of chaos that would project.

20 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'd rather reward Nevin for playing well at Toledo even though I suspect he can't do much here.  More than Ibanez though, probably.

I think we’ve learned that when it comes to guys like Nevin and Ibanez, the jump from AAA to the bigs is huge.

Short and McKinstry are the leading Tigers' hitters by OPS.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

(I actually think that's pretty cool so I'm laughing with the Tigers as much as I am at them...)

But...

Damn... when is Greene going to make a bid for top dog on this team...?

He needs to keep putting up May-ish numbers is the short answer...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Short and McKinstry are the leading Tigers' hitters by OPS.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

(I actually think that's pretty cool so I'm laughing with the Tigers as much as I am at them...)

But...

Damn... when is Greene going to make a bid for top dog on this team...?

He needs to keep putting up May-ish numbers is the short answer...

I think more power is coming, along with improved walk rates. I’m also a lot more optimistic about Tork than I was two months ago.  He’s capable of .240/20/75, which would be solid development from last year.  Of course, would be depressing if that ended up being his ceiling.

Ceiling usually means what someone is potentially capable of doing rather than what they actually do.  By most accounts, Torkelson's cein\ling is higher than .240/20/75.  Whether he actually reaches his ceiling, of course, remains to be seen.  

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Ceiling usually means what someone is potentially capable of doing rather than what they actually do.  By most accounts, Torkelson's cein\ling is higher than .240/20/75.  Whether he actually reaches his ceiling, of course, remains to be seen.  

His improvement since last season is striking - the only thing I'm hoping for right now it that he gets a little more aggressive early in the count. I love that his walks rate is climbing but IMO he's reached the point were what he doesn't swing at is as much what he needs to improve on.  By which I mean he's  allowing too many pitchers to steal strike one with with a cookie FB. It's fine to make a pitcher work, but if a hittable pitch is going to be sitting there - getting on base and extending innings is just as stressful for a pitcher as taking a couple of additional pitches.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

His improvement since last season is striking - the only thing I'm hoping for right now it that he gets a little more aggressive early in the count. I love that his walks rate is climbing but IMO he's reached the point were what he doesn't swing at is as much what he needs to improve on.  By which I mean he's  allowing too many pitchers to steal strike one with with a cookie FB. It's fine to make a pitcher work, but if a hittable pitch is going to be sitting there - getting on base and extending innings is just as stressful for a pitcher as taking a couple of additional pitches.

Are the Tigers too patient?  Don't get me wrong, walks are great, but Maton, Rogers, and Schoop also have above average walk rates and are not hitting very well.  

3 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Are the Tigers too patient?  Don't get me wrong, walks are great, but Maton, Rogers, and Schoop also have above average walk rates and are not hitting very well.  

I don't think they are as a general rule, but Tork is a special case of a guy who can hit the ball really hard with regularity, and IMO guys like that should never take a middle middle fastball no matter what the count because they are the guys that can put those pitches over the fence. Cabrera (when he was good) was the model. Miguel loved to jump a guy trying to throw strike one.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Assuming he does not become chronically injured, I believe he will reach .240/20/75 more than once before it is all over.

12 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Meaning the team is too patient in general? I don’t believe so.

Here are key Tigers hitting results by month so far (from FanGraphs):

image.thumb.png.9cef71b5877c139f535c6865fa07c483.png

For context, the Tigers’ walk rate in March/April ranked 22nd in baseball; in May as of this morning, it ranks sixth.

As we can see, walk rate is up and strikeout rate is also down, so they are “controlling the strike zone” much more effectively this month. On base is up with the walk rate, of course, and ISO is also up substantially, with homers ticking up by +35% per game. Stolen bases and baserunning runs are roughly the same—not much difference there.

Otherwise, two things jump out at me:

• AVG and SLG are both up despite the drop in BABIP. That’s one result of putting the ball in play more by striking out less. This is also resulting in more homers.
  • Runs per game are up by more than a full run per game.

I think increased walk rate had something to do with all this. By taking more pitches and not chasing outside the zone, it’s forcing pitchers to come into the zone to try to get outs. They can’t rely on Tiger hitters getting themselves out at the plate as much. They have to hope our guys get themselves out by hitting the ball to fielders. That is happening more—at the expense of allowing the Tigers to score more runs.

This looks like exactly like the Harris plan showing signs of coming to fruition. Imagine how good this offense could be if we had actual talented hitters.

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Assuming he does not become chronically injured, I believe he will reach .240/20/75 more than once before it is all over.

I believe he will too. 

He needs to do so if he is going to have a career as a regular first baseman.