2023 Detroit Tigers Regular Season Discussion Thread

oblong

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Right... so my point being: if that's the BEST that Tork!!! can do is an .800 OPS and he simply can NOT do better than that, and he is NOT a Gold Glove 1st baseman... at that point... doesn't he just become eminently replaceable?

Yes and more so if his current .649 holds especially with Colt Keith and JHM looking for  a position to play ......

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm glad we didn't throw four years and $60 million at Mitch Haniger just so he could post a 39 OPS+ for us!

I still contend that if it was one player I would have held onto for this season, that it should have been Candelario, NOT Schoop.

I frickin' hated the idea of holding onto Schoop. Dead set against it. And I 100% thought it was Jeimer that would have a comeback, not Schoop.

But who am I?

C'est la vie. I'll let it go...

But then...

Jeimer with the 1.3 WAR so far with the Nationals and a .745 OPS; Schoop at .529 and -0.1.

Hmmm... food for thought.

4 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

That would be great but I have been told here that we “can’t have nice things” and that would indeed be very nice 😊 

If you think the Tigers can’t have nice things, you should head over to the Pistons forum after the draft lottery fallout.

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I still contend that if it was one player I would have held onto for this season, that it should have been Candelario, NOT Schoop.

I frickin' hated the idea of holding onto Schoop. Dead set against it. And I 100% thought it was Jeimer that would have a comeback, not Schoop.

But who am I?

C'est la vie. I'll let it go...

But then...

Jeimer with the 1.3 WAR so far with the Nationals and a .745 OPS; Schoop at .529 and -0.1.

Hmmm... food for thought.

I agree I was more on board with keeping Candelario, but it was a much more gray area decision than black & white.

Schoop, on the other hand….. yikes!  I genuinely feel badly for him because it seems he came into camp in much better shape than last season.  Gotta give him credit for putting some work in over the winter.  It just isn’t working out well on the field.

1 minute ago, Jim Cowan said:

Candelario has 10 hits in his last 15 ABs.  Prior to that, on May 14, his slash line was .211/.276/.354.  I don't miss him but I do wish that Maton and Vierling were playing better.

I have  mixed feelings about Vierling. He's getting rave OF reviews but to my eye, it's all about his speed, I don't think his glove skills are all that good, but if in the end he gets to enough balls and make some easy plays look hard I'll be glad to forgive him for it!

and yes - the bigger problem is that he is on a 3 for 37.

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

OK.  I'd prefer they start getting serious now.  I don't think any team in the division is going to run away this year.  I don't expect the Tigers to contend all year, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  

I want them to win, and I think we are serious about winning. I also understand trying to figure out the best mix of players out of the green roster we have, and the value of starting bench players either to rest regulars, or to exploit favorable matchups. I’d love to find nine solid guys we can run out there all day, every day, 162 days a year. I just think we don’t have that with this particular squad, at least not yet, and even if we did, here in 2023, we may not see that all that much anymore anywhere anyway.

Edited by chasfh

58 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I want them to win, and I think we are serious about winning. I also understand trying to figure out the best mix of players out of the green roster we have, and the value of starting bench players either to rest regulars, or to exploit favorable matchups. I’d love to find nine solid guys we can run out there all day, every day, 162 days a year. I just think we don’t have that with this particular squad, at least not yet, and even if we did, here in 2023, we may not see that all that much anymore anywhere anyway.

I'm not talking about running the same nine guys out there every day.  I am talking about having 13 useful players with whom to mix and match.  I would argue that, on a team that mixes and matches a lot, it's even more difficult to carry Cabrera.  

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I'm not talking about running the same nine guys out there every day.  I am talking about having 13 useful players with whom to mix and match.  I would argue that, on a team that mixes and matches a lot, it's even more difficult to carry Cabrera.  

I agree, having Cabrera means playing a man short.  I don't gripe about it because Mike Ilitch can't hear me, he's dead.  So we will get through it, Cabrera will start against lefthanders.

If Carpenter can come back, and Schoop gets cut to accommodate him, that would make a big difference.  Among other things it would prevent us from fielding those oh-so-clever lineups with 9 righthanded batters.

It is strange to think that success could hinge on the performance of Maton and Vierling but tonight's game demonstrated what a difference it would make if those 2 guys performed the way Harris envisioned things.  Not every night, just 400 PA's each.

51 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Cabrera, unfortunately, is a given. But even if we could magically wish him into the cornfield, we don’t have anyone in the system to replace him that’s much, if any, more reliable than he. The cupboard was left bare, and it’s gonna take time to stock it back up to a point where we have the luxury of having to make hard choices among good options.

Edited by chasfh

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

Cabrera, unfortunately, is a given. But even if we could magically wish him into the cornfield, we don’t have anyone in the system to replace him that’s much, if any, more reliable than he. The cupboard was left bare, and it’s gonna take time to stock it back up to a point where we have the luxury of having to make hard choices among good options.

I agree with your overall point about the system needing more talent, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that both Kerry Carpenter and even Justyn Henry Malloy are way more reliable options than a guy sporting a sub 40 OPS+

31 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I agree with your overall point about the system needing more talent, but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that both Kerry Carpenter and even Justyn Henry Malloy are way more reliable options than a guy sporting a sub 40 OPS+

Theoretically, I would agree, but just not right now. Carpenter is still hurt and Malloy is probably not ready to throw into the fire. And even when Carpenter does come back, the easy switch is optioning Short.

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I agree, having Cabrera means playing a man short.

When it comes to considering reliable options off the bench, yes, but it’s even worse in high-leverage situations, because at least a missing player can’t end the rally getting overwhelmed at the plate or grounding into an easy double play.

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Theoretically, I would agree, but just not right now. Carpenter is still hurt and Malloy is probably not ready to throw into the fire. And even when Carpenter does come back, the easy switch is optioning Short.

My comment presumes a healthy Carpenter.

Either way, the overall point is that a bag of cement is probably more reliable than Cabrera at this point. I love him and respect his contributions in the past. He just doesn't have it anymore

Edited by mtutiger