Michigan @ Nebraska - 10/9/21

this game means as much to michigan as it does michigan state.  this isnt 1970-2012 anymore.

if you want to live in "sports radio narrative land", then you can say "michigan always plays with a chip on its shoulder against state the year after they lose to state."

47 minutes ago, buddha said:

this game means as much to michigan as it does michigan state.  this isnt 1970-2012 anymore.

if you want to live in "sports radio narrative land", then you can say "michigan always plays with a chip on its shoulder against state the year after they lose to state."

or it could have little to do with anything other than which team is better. 

Of course if M could hit more receivers open deep, they could play with anyone. I just can't figure Harbaugh. The guy loves QBs that can't throw. Now granted, I'll take McNamara over Patterson any day of the week. Patterson was the worst thrower I've seen under center at M since Bo insisted on playing Ricky Leach with a torn up shoulder. Cade at least does throw a reasonable mid range ball, but he's still a cubit short of an NFL quality arm.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Sports radio narrative land has the least efficient form of government and its economy is based on schadenfreude.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:24 AM, gehringer_2 said:

or it could have little to do with anything other than which team is better. 

Of course if M could hit more receivers open deep, they could play with anyone. I just can't figure Harbaugh. The guy loves QBs that can't throw. Now granted, I'll take McNamara over Patterson any day of the week. Patterson was the worst thrower I've seen under center at M since Bo insisted on playing Ricky Leach with a torn up shoulder. Cade at least does throw a reasonable mid range ball, but he's still a cubit short of an NFL quality arm.

Devin Gardner on line 1 would like to speak with you.

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You're dealing with a bunch of 20 year olds,  all you have is recent.   Think they care about anything before 2010?    

ok guy who says they still remember some vibe that dantonio supposedly started a decade ago...

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But the kids playing now actually remember that time, they were 9/10 years old and it was probably when they started becoming real fans.  

i doubt 3/4 of the players on that team remember michigan state when they were 9 or 10.  especially the ones from out of state.  people outside the state of michigan dont pay attention to the things coaches do or say in college football rivalries.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i doubt 3/4 of the players on that team remember michigan state when they were 9 or 10.  especially the ones from out of state.  people outside the state of michigan dont pay attention to the things coaches do or say in college football rivalries.

But The Team The Team The Team worked for a long time after Bo said it.    You said Dantonio started the narrative, and these things can find of feed themselves for awhile.    At some point Dantonio just checked out.  But Tucker's is bringing that back,  he's using that "they don't think you're as good as them" thing.   You can't see that?    The last time I saw Michigan get really fired up was Lloyd's last game.   There's sort of been some little flashes here and there, but Michigan has not had an edge, a nasty edge, for a very long time.    Throwing a spike in the ground at MSU's stadium was just stupid. 

42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But The Team The Team The Team worked for a long time after Bo said it.    You said Dantonio started the narrative, and these things can find of feed themselves for awhile.    At some point Dantonio just checked out.  But Tucker's is bringing that back,  he's using that "they don't think you're as good as them" thing.   You can't see that?    The last time I saw Michigan get really fired up was Lloyd's last game.   There's sort of been some little flashes here and there, but Michigan has not had an edge, a nasty edge, for a very long time.    Throwing a spike in the ground at MSU's stadium was just stupid. 

did it? or did they just have a really strong recruiting base and series of good football coaches in Moeller and Carr (at least before Carr got bored). I know it's all the psycho-drama stuff that makes sports interesting, but TBH I think it all pales compared to the three things that dominate a football team's success: recruiting, coaching, and injury luck. Sure coaches use all kinds of material for motivation, but if if it's a good coach he'll make up his own new slogan if the one on the wall when he gets there doesn't do anything for him.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 10/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes, they always do.  Every year.   They still feed off that vibe that Dantonio started of them being disrespected compared to Michigan and it has given them an edge over the years.   Not every year, but more often than not.   It just means more to them and I still don't think Michigan truly respects them as a rival.    Look at last year's game.  Michigan was a heavy favorite and they were sleepwalking into that game and Mel Tucker showed up in Ann Arbor and his team punched the Wolverines right in the mouth and Michigan had no response to it.  

mcs, YOU said dantonio started it, not me.

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I did like seeing the Michigan team do the whole Jump Around thing at Wisconsin with as much intensity as the crowd.  That's something I haven't seen in a long time and I think it gave them an edge, or at least it took that edge away from Wisconsin.  

Apparently they did something similar in Nebraska. 

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Nebraska didnt look great today. But I think Iowa's 17-point thumping by Purdue at home this afternoon will result in Michigan passing both Iowa and Penn St in the polls to move up to #6 in the AP.

and the ranks of the overrated unbeatens is trimmed again.  

michigan-michigan state in two weeks will result in the next unbeaten fraud to lose.  neither michigan or michigan state is a serious contender.

and lets be honest, its georgia, ohio state and bama this year.  clemson sucks (haha, poor dabo, all that money spent and they couldnt buy a decent offensive lineman?).  oklahoma isnt any good.  penn state, michigan, michigan state, and iowa are all frauds.  cincinnati cant hang with the big three this year.

yes bama lost, but that was a tough game and this isnt a vintage bama line.  still, its enough to beat most every team out there.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

michigan-michigan state in two weeks will result in the next unbeaten fraud to lose.  neither michigan or michigan state is a serious contender.

and lets be honest, its georgia, ohio state and bama this year.  clemson sucks (haha, poor dabo, all that money spent and they couldnt buy a decent offensive lineman?).  oklahoma isnt any good.  penn state, michigan, michigan state, and iowa are all frauds.  cincinnati cant hang with the big three this year.

yes bama lost, but that was a tough game and this isnt a vintage bama line.  still, its enough to beat most every team out there.

I agree, even though both Ohio State and Bama lost I think they are the best 2 teams after Georgia. If Penn State's QB is healthy I think they could give Ohio State a battle but otherwise I think it's going to come down to those 3 teams again like it seemingly always does but alteast there's no Clemson this time. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree, even though both Ohio State and Bama lost I think they are the best 2 teams after Georgia. If Penn State's QB is healthy I think they could give Ohio State a battle but otherwise I think it's going to come down to those 3 teams again like it seemingly always does but alteast there's no Clemson this time. 

oklahoma will get in and get beat by 50.

Did you hear how the Ole Miss-Tennessee game ended. No, not the golf ball at Lane Kiffin. AFTER that. Tennessee got the ball back, QB got hurt with 18 seconds to go, JOE MILTON comes in, with the ball at the 21 for the final play of the game he runs it and runs out of bounds at the 8 after time expired, lol. 

Edited by lordstanley

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

The offense was disrespectful of the Defense 

I didn't get to see the game but looking at the stats and reporting M fans have to feel better about their chances. Assuming McNamara doesn't lose his starting gig next week, MSU will be a good game to have a QB with a very low interception rate....:classic_dry:

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I didn't get to see the game but looking at the stats and reporting M fans have to feel better about their chances. Assuming McNamara doesn't lose his starting gig next week, MSU will be a good game to have a QB with a very low interception rate....:classic_dry:

nebraska outgained msu by over 200 yards.  they only won because nebraska shanked a punt.

otoh, rutgers dominated michigan in the second half.

14 hours ago, buddha said:

I don’t disagree. But split against MSU-Penn State, win the other 3 like they should, go into Ohio St game 10-1, lose, and get sent to a 50/50 bowl game. A 10 or 11 win season is at the upper range of what Michigan fans should expect and if Harbaugh does that as often or not the admin will be happy, IMO (of course his next 11 win season at Michigan will be his first 11 win season at Michigan). 

14 hours ago, buddha said: