The Advice Thread

chasfh

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I dont know what that is

This is what we use. We have ipads, iphones, tv and security cameras with ATT and have never experienced a lag.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Deco-Replacement-S4-3-Pack/dp/B084GTH5LL/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=mesh+wifi+tp+link+deco&qid=1634840817&qsid=137-8664380-3256259&sr=8-3&sres=B084GTH5LL%2CB08Z492RK9%2CB085Z35GY6%2CB06WVCB862%2CB07RLHLXLC%2CB081ZWJ6FX%2CB089QW9957%2CB07P19LPJQ%2CB07ZPCVNNV%2CB09CMD7DND%2CB086NYD2V1%2CB091T7DHTM%2CB089QVWRS9%2CB07M82WBKG%2CB07P12YNLG%2CB081QCCVTD&srpt=NETWORKING_ROUTER

Just plug them in and place them throughout the house. No wires to run and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

I only hardwire it for work purposes because I often run DB queries and it seems stronger.  Also almost every day around 10 am I lose the connection briefly and have to reconnect.  That's not good when I am on calls and then I have to reconnect to some of my systems once the connection is lost.  I don't know if a stronger WiFi will fix that.  It could be something with my corporate laptop..

18 hours ago, oblong said:

I only hardwire it for work purposes because I often run DB queries and it seems stronger.  Also almost every day around 10 am I lose the connection briefly and have to reconnect.  That's not good when I am on calls and then I have to reconnect to some of my systems once the connection is lost.  I don't know if a stronger WiFi will fix that.  It could be something with my corporate laptop..

I was having similar problems (dropouts and video call issues), and my problem was two-fold. My wifi router was in the basement, and where I was working was on the second floor of the house, so my wifi connection wasn't great. Switching to the Google Nest mesh system fixed that. Now I have a great signal throughout the house. The second problem was my internet connection from my provider (Buckeye) was inadequate.  I think I was still on 25 mbps. Bumped up to the 100 mbps plan, and all is well even with both the wife and I working from home most days.

I bought the netgear range extenders back in 2016, got 2 of them for around the house...I think they helped a little.  The service I use now had an extender proprietary to them..it is plugged in upstairs and the modem is in the office downstairs.  The real difference IMO is the speed we bought and a new install.  The old internet was (unaware to me) split a couple times before hitting the modem and was a much lower speed.  Straight line to the modem and gig speed now...we never have any ;lag issues or drop outs.  69.99 a month

20 hours ago, oblong said:

Yes.. I don't care what it does once i get it into the basement.  it's unfinished and flows through the floor joists along with the cable coax.

My stairs bisect the laundry room and the furnace room.  The cable line comes in from the outside and goes across my laundry room, along the ceiling in my basement stairwell to a splitter, which has a line into the furnace room and that is what threads out to the wall upstairs to my router.   You can see the photo below, the cable and electric in that outlet are in the same 'hole' if you call it. that other cable going through the floor at the top is to an outlet right behind the outlet in the photo.  The room the router is located is on a slap, you can see the step up to what's the basement in the photo of the outlet.   That other cable going through the floor is to an outlet on the other side of the other photo. 

You can see the larger hole on the right, I can't see enough in that to tell anything but maybe I can use that.... I literally have to just go a few inches if I drill a hole next to the one that is there for the cable line.  

stairs.jpg

basement.jpg

be nice to have an x-ray of what's where on the backside of that joist!

I have one of those magnets on a scoping/extender type thing.  Someting I got from my dad.  Just don't know where it is at the moment.  I'm going to tie a screw to a wire and see if I can figure that out.  If it works and is a strong enoughmagnet then I will drill the hole and try it with the ethernet cable.   Pretty sure I just need to drill a hole in the wall then a hole in the joist, there's already one there on the lower right of the picture. Then get it from one hole to the other.  

This house had an alarm system at one time, two different satellite dishes and multiple cable providers.  It's long been a weekend project goal of mine to get rid of it all.  All the cable lines go directly outside into the box outside that has splitters and the line runs along the outside of the house with holes drilled into the brick into the room it requires.  I cut the phone line as it was hanging very low over my patio.  And I cut it as close as I could to the pole where the rest of it just hangs and is hidden in a tree. There's another cable line I don't like but there's no opportunity to do that and I'm not putting a ladder on the main line it connects to.  I don't know how cable guys do that when they run it from the main line to the house.  Is that strong enough to support?  

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I bought the netgear range extenders back in 2016, got 2 of them for around the house...I think they helped a little.  The service I use now had an extender proprietary to them..it is plugged in upstairs and the modem is in the office downstairs.  The real difference IMO is the speed we bought and a new install.  The old internet was (unaware to me) split a couple times before hitting the modem and was a much lower speed.  Straight line to the modem and gig speed now...we never have any ;lag issues or drop outs.  69.99 a month

Range extenders cut the signal in half whereas a mesh system doesn't. I don't know how much it might reduce the strength of the signal but my cameras give me a health report and the signal is much stronger than when we had an extender.

On 10/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

Reading through this I see they suggest this system in place of a router. Did you replace a router with this system, or else connect it to you original ATT gateway without a router? We have an ASUS router on top of our ATT gateway and I have tried a mesh system using our old ASUS router once we got an updated router, but it didn’t seem to work, at least the way I set it up. Could this be used on top of a router+gateway setup?

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

Reading through this I see they suggest this system in place of a router. Did you replace a router with this system, or else connect it to you original ATT gateway without a router? We have an ASUS router on top of our ATT gateway and I have tried a mesh system using our old ASUS router once we got an updated router, but it didn’t seem to work, at least the way I set it up. Could this be used on top of a router+gateway setup?

I have the "first unit" plugged directly into my router and placed on a corner shelf about 6 feet high. I then have one in the living room and far corner of my basement. We have steady connections all over the house.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I have the "first unit" plugged directly into my router and placed on a corner shelf about 6 feet high. I then have one in the living room and far corner of my basement. We have steady connections all over the house.

So if I’m understanding you right, you have an Internet gateway from ATT, an aftermarket router plugged into the gateway, then a “first unit” plugged into the router?

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So if I’m understanding you right, you have an Internet gateway from ATT, an aftermarket router plugged into the gateway, then a “first unit” plugged into the router?

No sir. I have my gateway (what I call the router) and then an ethernet cable out of the gateway (router) directly to my "first" unit.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

No sir. I have my gateway (what I call the router) and then an ethernet cable out of the gateway (router) directly to my "first" unit.

that sounds like what I have. I have a second wireless router configured in WAP (wireless access point) mode hardwired to the primary router/gateway. They operate on the same SSID. The second is just there to push a better signal into the end bedroom and the deck. The other one covers everything else pretty well. 

20 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

that sounds like what I have. I have a second wireless router configured in WAP (wireless access point) mode hardwired to the primary router/gateway. They operate on the same SSID. The second is just there to push a better signal into the end bedroom and the deck. The other one covers everything else pretty well. 

Your router has the same SSID as your gateway? I didn’t even know that could be done. Every router I’ve even had has asked me to assign a new SSID for it—at least that’s what I thought.

One thing I did figure out with ATT gateways right away is to split the 2.4 and 5ghz signals into separate SSIDs, which ATT definitely prefers we not do. I do that so I can reliably run just the 5ghz signal, as opposed to allowing ATT to engage in band-steering as it sees fit.

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

One thing I did figure out with ATT gateways right away is to split the 2.4 and 5ghz signals into separate SSIDs, which ATT definitely prefers we not do. I do that so I can reliably run just the 5ghz signal, as opposed to allowing ATT to engage in band-steering as it sees fit.

Teach me your ways......

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Teach me your ways......

Browse into your gateway's admin page. Mine lives at 192.168.1.254. Yours probably is, too.

Navigate to Home Network/Wi-Fi. (I had to click it a few times before it got there because it wasn't responsive for me. Or try this URL: http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/wconfig.ha)

Choose Advanced Options.

You will see separate settings for 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Assign them each a different SSID with different passwords. (I assign the 5G signal the same SSID and just add "5G" to it.)

Click Save.

See screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.55f5d61178b1e1db948e9a1cc9d2d267.png

You'll get all the benefits of 5ghz (reliably faster speeds) along with the limitations (worse at going through floors and walls), but do this and they can't throttle you by band-steering your connection at their whim.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I've only had time to watch two episodes and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I think a lot of people owe Yoko an apology. Right after she apologizes for her terrible singing.

Yeah, that about sums it up. Although hilarious when Heather started copying her. If you like the rooftop stuff you will love part 3. You get every bit of it and often from the roof across the street and at street level. Way good.

19 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Yeah, that about sums it up. Although hilarious when Heather started copying her. If you like the rooftop stuff you will love part 3. You get every bit of it and often from the roof across the street and at street level. Way good.

I would imagine then that you have watch McCartney 123 as well......

It's in my queue.