The Advice Thread

chasfh

On 10/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Range extenders cut the signal in half whereas a mesh system doesn't. I don't know how much it might reduce the strength of the signal but my cameras give me a health report and the signal is much stronger than when we had an extender.

I looked into this and the eero wifi WOW uses for their gig speed is a mesh network...so I have had it the whole time.  One of the many reasons I have no issues with my signal ever.  Absolutely zero internet issues since getting it installed early last year.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2021 at 2:03 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

Mesh WIFI. You'll thank me.

I’m here to thank you.

I didn’t know there was such a thing until I read that.  What? Really?

I’ll give you a consumer report kind of thing. I have WIFI issues – dead spots where I don’t want them.  I’m on physical cable coming in the front corner of my house. Spectrum, used to be Time Warner. Cornhole, Ohio, so we don’t have the last mile good stuff.  My 60 buck plan a month gives me a 20 Mbps connection. Sometimes I get more, other times not, depending on time of day.  For reference.

I want to expand my WIFI to a back room just out of the main house, and the garage as well. You know, party central.  I also have security cameras.  Two in the front of the house, and two in the back.  The ones in the front work pretty good. When you get an alert, you want to hook into the camera and see a live shot. You can do it with your phone from anywhere if everything works. Since the ones in the front are closer to the router, I can get a visual in not too much time.  In the back – not so much - if at all.  Too far from the router.

If something is going goofy – time matters.

I researched that system and said – yea – that makes sense.  So I pushed the button.  Came in today, so off we go.  But before I killed the old router, I went around the house with my phone and checked speeds.  I used xfinity speed test.  I took 4 readings.  1) in the same room with the router. 2) far corner of my basement. 3) out of house back room with the door shut. 4) far end of my garage from the router (doors shut).  I took multiple readings over an hour or two.

Router room = 40

Basement = 40

Fun Room = 30

Garage = 15-20 (at least 5 tests)

I ran at least 3 for all of them.

Install new system. Followed directions, didn’t take long.  You hook up the main router first, then the other two takes care of themselves. You might have to fiddle with a few things, but painless. Once I could see everything was working, I took another speed test.  Router room = 70. WTF? That’s what it said, and so did every other place in the homestead.  Unreal!

I had an old Belkin router.  I don’t know what changed, but I’m sure glad it did. This is sweet.

Might be the best 130 bucks I ever spent.

Thank you!!!!

37 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Is this French for the boom boom room?

When you are my age there isn't much booming going on.

It is a room in the corner of the house and garage.  It was a back porch slab when the house was built, but now an enclosed room that I totally remodeled.  It has two outside walls that have windows I can crank up which are also screened to keep the bugs out.  A ceiling fan, TV, stereo, chairs, table, and made up to look like a beach house.  Complete with sea shells, driftwood, sand, fishing pole, and boat oars (mounted on wall) and a large map on one wall of Clearwater Beach in Florida.  I did have a kegerator in there but draft beer got to expensive.  So there is a lot of fun going on there while staying clothed.

I have a satellite & external antenna feed to the TV but sometimes I take the laptop and hook into the TV to stream something off the computer.  At night when our lines are busy I have buffering issues.  This should fix that.

It will also allow me to mount another security camera over the driveway, which I couldn't do before due to lack of signal.  I can mount it on the dish mount and I have a solar panel to charge it since it will be up in the air.

These things made me so happy I had to drink a few beers. 🙂  I drank two, just for Biff.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I need advice.  Is there something I could do to make me forget I live in a god-forsaken hellscape, but a version of Hell where the weather NEVER GETS WARM ?     this is so goddamned depressing. 

The sad reality of humanity is that even in a paradise with perfect weather, it doesn’t take long to get used it and start complaining when it gets down to 65 with a little wind.   

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I need advice.  Is there something I could do to make me forget I live in a god-forsaken hellscape, but a version of Hell where the weather NEVER GETS WARM ?     this is so goddamned depressing. 

7DED4563-54AA-4995-9AE4-44449E8431F4.png

as a runner it's been miserable.  My office is in the basement so I'm cold.  Then when it's time to run after work I'm already cold, it's 35 degrees out, typically great running weather, but it's cloudy, damp....

Then on Sundays when I do my longer run in the morning it's 80 degrees last Sunday.

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

Remove the rearview mirror.

You don't really want to know what's gaining on you anyway....

Oddly enough I did remove the RVM in a Jetta I owned some years back. It stuck down into the field of view at road level without much in the way of adjustment and after the third time I almost hit someone coming from the right behind the mirror, I took it out.  I check for that in cars I've bought since.

Edited by gehringer_2