05/16/2023 6:40 pm EDT Pittsburgh Pirates vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Verlander used to do that time to time when he was here and it drove me crazy, granted JV did pickoff his fair share of runners but it felt like the throwing errors/passed balls on the pickoff moves far outweighed that especially when it allowed runners to score like in this situation. To me it just isn't worth trying to get cute and get the rare pickoff in situations like that. 

Ortiz has to realize who he has playing 1b also. Carlos Santana is not exactly Mark Teixeira over there. If you aren't sure of your throw, don't make it to Santana.

Edited by gehringer_2

We also got to remember that Lorenzen started the year on the injured list and didn't end up making any minor league rehab starts, he was thrown straight into the fire and in turn got lit up his first couple starts, if you discount those then his numbers look even better. 

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

How many hits would Ichiro have had if he started his MLB career at 22?  

well, he had 1178 in Japan before coming to the US. If he'd had half that many playing those  years in the US he'd still be at ~3700 - so he could easily have been challenging for 4k.

I agree about the power, would definitely like to see more from both Tork and Greene but what they have been giving us is alot better than they were so it's a step in the right direction. But yeah if they never hit for power they are going to need an obscene BA and OBP to really be the impact players on offense that we hoped they would be. 

10 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Tork and Greene are looking better but I'm still looking for more power from Tork in particular.  I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade or downplay their improvement but the Tigers need power from 1B and we're still waiting on that

We're not waiting for power from Tork, just a little adjustment in elevation - he already hits the ball plenty hard enough to put in the seats. But I don't want to be too impatient. Hitters develop. He's just come off a pretty disappointing season. Let him get his on-base tools working consistently. Once he's a more comfortable and experienced hitter that little additional lift will probably come naturally as his timing gets better. The one thing I don't want anyone to do is mess with his swing - it's a thing of beauty as it is.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Both are injury risks, but as long as Lorenzon and Rodriguez are on a roll the Tigers should not suffer any long slumps.  Both have been pleasant surprises. 

Just think, if ERod had pitched this way all last season Al Avila might still have his job. :classic_biggrin::classic_ohmy::classic_biggrin:

BTW this win moves us back into 2nd place, could be there by ourselves if the White Sux hold onto their 6-1 lead over the Guardians. Also the Twins are facing Kershaw and the Dodgers later tonight so if things go right we could be just a game back in the loss column come tomorrow morning.