Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

TSN: NHL Rumors, Latest on free agents Kane, Kessel as training camps near

TSN Hockey Insider Chris Johnston joined TSN Radio 1050 Toronto on Tuesday to give an update on the status of both wingers as the season draws closer.

Kane, 34, underwent hip resurfacing surgery on June 1 and was given a timeline of four-to-six months for recovery. He told the Associated Press last week he has resumed skating, but doesn't plan to rush back.

Johnston disputed the notion Kane has focused in on the Detroit Red Wings as a landing spot, stating the three-time Stanley Cup champion is keeping his options open.

me too.

i realize he's still a positive offensive player, but if they got rid of vrana and totally tried to change zadina's game because they were reluctant to buy into the defensive system, i hardly think patrick kane would be on the top of their lists.

and i doubt kane would want to come here.  he can pick and choose now.  he's won 3 cups already but maybe he wants another?  

i thought buffalo would be a target for him too.  not detroit even if debrincat is here.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/JamalSpencerTV/status/1699438416671162552?s=20

Not sure why it wont embed but: "

Steve Yzerman says defenseman Simon Evidssom has been skating in Detroit and likely won’t be ready for the start of training camp, but he believes he’ll be ready for the season opener"
Edited by slothfacekilla

C'mon, Babs, are we even in training camp yet?

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/report-nhlpa-investigating-mike-babcock-for-alleged-phone-incident-with-boone-jenner-165114666.html

The NHLPA is reportedly investigating allegations levied against Columbus Blue Jackets head coach Mike Babcock that claim he violated a player's privacy, as first reported by The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline.

Paul Bissonnette of Barstool’s Spittin’ Chiclets podcast stated that Blue Jackets captain Boone Jenner was summoned by Babcock for a meeting. Babcock allegedly asked to see the photos on Jenner’s phone, then used AirPlay to display Jenner’s photos on his office television.

Babcock and Jenner tried to refute it saying they were just showing each other family photos and getting to know each other.  Bissonette has also doubled down saying they are lying and multiple players have talked to him.  My guess is the truth is somewhere in between, I find biz to be a clown but this is 100% Babcock would do without thinking twice too.  They should both just step down for their respective positions imo!

16 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

I can't believe the CBJ GM still has a job, what exactly has he accomplished across his ~10 year tenure and now this?

A definite positive of being one of the most irrelevant franchises in all of pro sports is that Jarmo doesn’t get nearly as much heat as he should for being one of the worst GM’s alive.

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

I can't believe the CBJ GM still has a job, what exactly has he accomplished across his ~10 year tenure and now this?

And John Davidson as President, in his second stint with Columbus. Over his time with the Blues, Rangers and Jackets, what good has he ever accomplished. He should have just stuck with the broadcast booth, where he was great. I'm not comparing him to Matt Millen ... but maybe I am. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

And John Davidson as President, in his second stint with Columbus. Over his time with the Blues, Rangers and Jackets, what good has he ever accomplished. He should have just stuck with the broadcast booth, where he was great. I'm not comparing him to Matt Millen ... but maybe I am. 

This x1000

Loved JD on TV.  That’s where he belongs.  He’s a **** executive. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

does anybody feel better about the wings' prospects after this tournament?  seems like they've been outclassed each season ive watched.  i wasnt really impressed with kasper.  seemed ok.  max really liked danielson.

cossa was a disaster....and he looked better than he did last year positionally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buddha said:

does anybody feel better about the wings' prospects after this tournament?  seems like they've been outclassed each season ive watched.  i wasnt really impressed with kasper.  seemed ok.  max really liked danielson.

cossa was a disaster....and he looked better than he did last year positionally.

I didn’t like the Cossa pick at the time, and nothing since has given me a warm, fuzzy feeling. I’d be open to trading him because he probably still has value. 

Just now, Shinzaki said:

Goalies can take forever to develop...particularly big ones.  Jimmy Howard spent several seasons in the minors before making it in Detroit.  I think it's way to early to think about pulling the plug on Cossa

Agreed.

I'll put this a different way for those who want to dump him: What could we expect in return if we traded him? 

A 1st, or a 2nd round pick? What if the "word" is out and the most Yzerman could get back is a 4th...? My point being: if we're trading him, we're most likely not getting our 1st round pick back. That's a sunk cost. Some might say "something is better than nothing". No, it's not. The worst case is to get "something" back, at a gross devaluation to the 1st, and then another team develops him into an All-Star starting goalie. Or... "Opportunity Cost."

IMO: the Opportunity Cost of losing him is higher than any return we will get for him right now. So I say we either develop him and he becomes a competent goalie for the Wings... or bust. And I'd rather bust than dump him cheaply and then in 3 years he's dominating the NHL, for another team.

21 hours ago, buddha said:

Can't say I've changed my feelings at all based on a summer scrimmage with players who have largely never played with each other, and who played without any sort of system or real game plan.  For some players it was the first "game" they had played in a bit too.  It is tough for me to put much stock in any of it.

Would I like Cossa to be getting shut outs in the tournament at this point, definitely.  But he's 20 years old and probably still coming to terms with his big frame and what not.  It is going to take time and I'm willing to let it play out.  I think the Wings made a good hedge with Augustine at least.  First round goalies usually tend to start seeing time in the NHL in their D+4 season, which is next season for Cossa, so we'll see where we're at.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Goalies can take forever to develop...particularly big ones.  Jimmy Howard spent several seasons in the minors before making it in Detroit.  I think it's way to early to think about pulling the plug on Cossa

But the fact goalies can take forever to develop is exactly why I think they're too unpredictable to burn a mid-1st round pick on. I question whether the Wings would have done so if they didn't already have another 1st round pick, Edvinsson. If organizational depth in net is weak, as it was with the Wings, then fine, pick the best goalie left ... in the 3rd round.  Cossa and Wallstedt were the only goalies taken within the first 77 picks of that draft. 

Edited by lordstanley

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Agreed.

I'll put this a different way for those who want to dump him: What could we expect in return if we traded him? 

A 1st, or a 2nd round pick? What if the "word" is out and the most Yzerman could get back is a 4th...? My point being: if we're trading him, we're most likely not getting our 1st round pick back. That's a sunk cost. Some might say "something is better than nothing". No, it's not. The worst case is to get "something" back, at a gross devaluation to the 1st, and then another team develops him into an All-Star starting goalie. Or... "Opportunity Cost."

IMO: the Opportunity Cost of losing him is higher than any return we will get for him right now. So I say we either develop him and he becomes a competent goalie for the Wings... or bust. And I'd rather bust than dump him cheaply and then in 3 years he's dominating the NHL, for another team.

yeah -  I don't see any downside to just riding it out in this case.