Summer 2023 Off-Season Thread

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No.   No more "1 more year" from these teams.   Sick of "1 more year"  or "just have to wait".   This town is itching for ANY team to make the playoffs and win a playoff game.   When was the last time any of the four major sports teams in Detroit won a playoff game?    2016?     Enough already.  

yeah!  that will show em!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

the wings should sign patrick kane and trade draft picks and prospects for erik karlson so we can be the 8th seed next year.  

they need to placate the fans who are SO TIRED of not having a team make the playoffs.

pistons did that when they dealt for blake griffin and got the 8th seed and swept in round one.  but hey, at least they MADE THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!

cause that's what's important to mcs.

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I like a guy who bets on himself, taking a financial risk doing so that may look foolish to many.

IDK, seems as much like a guy that's just in a hurry. He could have come to Wings camp, fought for a job. If he didn't make it he tears up GR for a season. If Wings aren't ready to give him astarting gig next season they would almost certainly buy out his last year and he's a free agent next yr with about $1.5M more in his bank account than he makes with SD and a year of good health on his resume.

It's fine, he can do what he wants to do, but it wasn't like he was signing his life away on a bad deal as the alternative to agreeing to void his contract.

Edited by gehringer_2

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, seems as much like a guy that's just in a hurry. He could have come to Wings camp, fought for a job. If he didn't make it he tears up GR for a season. If Wings aren't ready to give him astarting gig next season they would almost certainly buy out his last year and he's a free agent next yr with about $1.5M more in his bank account than he makes with SD and a year of good health on his resume.

It's fine, he can do what he wants to do, but it wasn't like he was signing his life away on a bad deal as the alternative to agreeing to void his contract.

True, but maybe he already knows enough about the Wings organization in GR and Detroit to think he has already cooked his goose with them and that that baggage would stop him from tearing up the AHL. 

2 hours ago, buddha said:

the wings should sign patrick kane and trade draft picks and prospects for erik karlson so we can be the 8th seed next year.  

they need to placate the fans who are SO TIRED of not having a team make the playoffs.

Yzerman has already done a ton this summer, even if DeBrincat is the only one I’m really excited about. Collectively, Kostin, Sprong, Compher, Gostisbehere, Holl, Reimer, Fischer and Deabrincat have the potential to improve the Wings. So no NEED to do more this offseason. But why not keep talking. If there is another smart move that Yzerman can make, go for it, don’t have to wait 12 months just because we think eight is enough. 

Edited by lordstanley

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

True, but maybe he already knows enough about the Wings organization in GR and Detroit to think he has already cooked his goose with them and that that baggage would stop him from tearing up the AHL. 

and GR has a new coach too! I guess the simplest reading is that whether it's true or not, Zadina thinks Lalonde didn't/won't treat him fairly. It's a bit odd overall because in the one presser Yzerman seemed to go out of his way to say he liked Filip  and still thought he could be a good player. 

Whatever. The total void the deal was a better outcome for the Wings than anyone could have hoped for a month ago so Wings' fan can't complain.

Edited by gehringer_2

So all in all I like what Yzerman has done with the forwards. In goal, I wish I had more confidence in Reimer as a backup. He needs to be an upgrade on Ned so Husso doesn’t get worn out again. I like the Gostishere pickup but wish the Wings had done better than Holl, via trade if necessary. Fine with having kept both our 2023 1st round draft picks, and who the Wings picked with them,  since we used the extra 2024 1st rounder to get DeBrincat. 

A grade of B for the offseason. I’d put the over/under for 2023-2024 points by the Wings at 88. 

Edited by lordstanley

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

So all in all I like what Yzerman has done with the forwards. In goal, I wish I had more confidence in Reimer as a backup. He needs to be an upgrade on Ned so Husso doesn’t get worn out again. I like the Gostishere pickup but wish the Wings had done better than Holl, via trade if necessary. Fine with having kept both our 2023 1st round draft picks, and who the Wings picked with them,  since we used the extra 2024 1st rounder to get DeBrincat. 

A grade of B for the offseason. I’d put the over/under for 2023-2024 points by the Wings at 88. 

Agree on Holl.  That’s the only move that I really don’t  like.   I like Husso.  He can be really good with a better crew of blue liners in front of him.  

The sneaky move that I really like is Sprong.  He seemed to always fill up the scorebook whenever I watched the Kraken last year.   Really solid bottom six forward.  

8 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Perron...Larkin...DeBrincat

Ras...Compher...Raymond

Berggren...Copp...Sprong

Kostin...Veleno...Fischer

Yeah I think that is how it will line up. It's tempting to see how pairing both Debrincat and Raymond with Larkin would work just due to the offensive upside but considering they're both smaller that may not work out plus it is probably better to spread them out anyway. 

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I think that is how it will line up. It's tempting to see how pairing both Debrincat and Raymond with Larkin would work just due to the offensive upside but considering they're both smaller that may not work out plus it is probably better to spread them out anyway. 

Dont have to play the same lines against every opponent. If you are playing a team where going small won't hurt you, that's always an option - at least at home with last change.

Edited by gehringer_2

Departed skaters Bertuzzi, Hronek, Vrana, Erne, Suter, Oesterle, Hagg, Zadina & Sundqvist combined for 50 goals and -40 for Red Wings last season. Skaters acquired Compher, Sprong, Gostibehere, Holl & Kostin combined for 63 goals and +43 in ‘22-23.

Interesting tidbit from Pat Caputo.

32 minutes ago, Kacie said:

Departed skaters Bertuzzi, Hronek, Vrana, Erne, Suter, Oesterle, Hagg, Zadina & Sundqvist combined for 50 goals and -40 for Red Wings last season. Skaters acquired Compher, Sprong, Gostibehere, Holl & Kostin combined for 63 goals and +43 in ‘22-23.

Interesting tidbit from Pat Caputo.

i guess better than the opposite. But even if one values plus/minus, I think we’d have to adjust that guys like Compher, Sprong and Holl played on really good teams while the Wings players did not. 

• Like 1