05/24/2023 7:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I agree, but who do you replace him with?  I think Kreidler is hurt.

They must be having serious conversations about Keith.  He could probably skip Toledo.

Yes, there’s nobody to replace Schoop with right now.

I don’t know if Keith is a consideration right now.  They promoted Corey Joyce to Toledo rather than Keith.  Could be Joyce has more AA experience.  Could be Joyce is older.  Could be Joyce also plays SS and Toledo needs that option.  Maybe Joyce is nothing but minor league filler and he vs Keith isn’t a thing.

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yes, there’s nobody to replace Schoop with right now.

I don’t know if Keith is a consideration right now.  They promoted Corey Joyce to Toledo rather than Keith.  Could be Joyce has more AA experience.  Could be Joyce is older.  Could be Joyce also plays SS and Toledo needs that option.  Maybe Joyce is nothing but minor league filler and he vs Keith isn’t a thing.

Joyce's minor league career numbers look inconsistent. I'm not sure it's worth adding him to the 40 man roster.

1 minute ago, Tigermojo said:

Joyce's minor league career numbers look inconsistent. I'm not sure it's worth adding him to the 40 man roster.

They have been inconsistent, true.  He may turn out to be nothing more than filler.  But if they’re done with Ibanez/Schoop and aren’t willing to promote Keith/Malloy or any longer term player, they could promote someone just for the short term, see what they can do in the meantime.  If it’s nothing, they can be DFAd later on to make room for someone else, no big deal.

Heck, they could try Nevin again since he’s already on the 40.  Lipcius, Perez, MeadowsP, are also on the 40.  So it would seem unlikely that they add Joyce now.  It seems like Joyce’s only benefit ahead of those guys is his SS glove, and the Tigers should be fine with Baez/Maton/McKinstry.

19 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Short has a .917 small sample OPS. They could give him some of those Ibanez and Schoop ABs. They wouldn't be losing any defense.

Short usually tails off as soon as he starts getting AB against ML pitching, but at this point I doubt he could do any worse than Schoop. 

That was probably the longest ball Short has ever hit as major leaguer.