05/24/2023 7:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

I think when Carpenter returns - which can't be soon enough - Ibanez would be first to be sent down. I think we have a better chance of seeing Malloy this year than Keith.  I don't think we will see Keth in Detroit until next year at the soonest but injuries could change that.

Being a part time player is not doing Schoop any good and his contract for his next team will probably be a minor league deal with a ST invite.

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't want to see them trading young players for a one-year run at the playoffs and I don't see anyone suggesting that.  They are in a weak division though, so they don't need to go on another five-year plan.  I would not mind if they traded young prospects for young about to get expensive young players in the majors with some cheap team that doesn't want to pay them.  Another possibility, If Rodriguez is still strong in late July would be to extend enough to get him to not opt out.  

I'm not sure if Rodriguez is a good candidate for an extension. He can be very good, and he can be not so good. If he were more consistently decent from year to year, I could be on board for that.

3 minutes ago, Archie said:

I think when Carpenter returns - which can't be soon enough - Ibanez would be first to be sent down. I think we have a better chance of seeing Malloy this year than Keith.  I don't think we will see Keth in Detroit until next year at the soonest but injuries could change that.

Being a part time player is not doing Schoop any good and his contract for his next team will probably be a minor league deal with a ST invite.

Schoop might end up in Asia.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not sure if Rodriguez is a good candidate for an extension. He can be very good, and he can be not so good. If he were more consistently decent from year to year, I could be on board for that.

I hope the Tigers are going to be the type of organization that will be willing to pay for players that are good every year.  

It sounds like Carpenter is "hitting lasers all over the field" according to what I heard on the radio but he still can't throw which is why he hasn't been called back up. This is where having Miggy hurts us cause we'd have no problem just using him as the full time DH until he was healthy enough to play the field but with Miggy already taking up that spot it makes it hard to roster two guys that literally can't play defense at all. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It sounds like Carpenter is "hitting lasers all over the field" according to what I heard on the radio but he still can't throw which is why he hasn't been called back up. This is where having Miggy hurts us cause we'd have no problem just using him as the full time DH until he was healthy enough to play the field but with Miggy already taking up that spot it makes it hard to roster two guys that literally can't play defense at all. 

Well, except that it's more perception than reality that Cabrera is taking up any spot. He's only playing half time at most. We could be carrying a DH that can't throw, they've chosen not to, and maybe for other good reasons related to the fact that you want him to work back into shape as an OF. If any of it is about Cabrera, it shouldn't be.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, except that it's more perception than reality that Cabrera is taking up any spot. He's only playing half time at most. We could be carrying a DH that can't throw, they've just chosen not to.

He is taking up a spot that could be used for someone who might not be playing any more than Cabrera, but had the felxibility to play different roles and contribute something useful.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, except that it's more perception than reality that Cabrera is taking up any spot. He's only playing half time at most. We could be carrying a DH that can't throw, they've just chosen not to.

Cabrera may only play a few times a week but he takes up a roster spot every day of the week so yeah Carpenter could be the DH but you still are then rostering 2 guys who can't play the field anywhere which limits your options and flexibility.

I guess given the lack of offense on the team it may be worth that trade off but if Cabrera wasn't on the team there would be no debate about it, it would be a foregone conclusion that he'd be on the roster assuming of course the reports about him hitting with no problems are true. 

25 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Cabrera may only play a few times a week but he takes up a roster spot every day of the week so yeah Carpenter could be the DH but you still are then rostering 2 guys who can't play the field anywhere which limits your options and flexibility.

I guess given the lack of offense on the team it may be worth that trade off but if Cabrera wasn't on the team there would be no debate about it, it would be a foregone conclusion that he'd be on the roster assuming of course the reports about him hitting with no problems are true. 

Sure - I didn't put that very accurately- yes the roster spot is wasted, it's the  ABs that are available subject to the additional roster cost you note.

People don't want to pay big money for tickets to Tigers game to watch Miggy ceremonially coach. He will play all year, at least once a series, unless he gets too seriously injured to hobble up to the plate at all. This is price the Devil is extracting for making the deal with Papa Doc back in 2014.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

People don't want to pay big money for tickets to Tigers game to watch Miggy ceremonially coach. He will play all year, at least once a series, unless he gets too seriously injured to hobble up to the plate at all. This is price the Devil is extracting for making the deal with Papa Doc back in 2014.

I will never understand people.  Why do they want to pay big money to watch Cabrera tarnish his career?  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They are marketing him as if they do and some probably do, but I agree most fans don't want to watch him bat anymore.  It is mostly something they are doing out of respect to him.  

I don't think that there is any difference in attendance when he plays.  I can't imagine that there are people sitting at home waiting for the lineups to be announced before deciding whether or not to attend.

• Like 1

I would bet most people who go to Tigers games either don't know you can look up lineups before the game, or don't care enough to bother to. I think a lot of people coming to the game just assume Miggy is going to be in the game. Lots of people, maybe most people, who show up at Comerica over the course of a season are casual fans who go to only one or two games a year, not diehards who go to dozens. They probably don't watch them regularly on TV, don't listen to games on radio, or read any beat stories or columns about them, so they may not even know Miggy doesn't actually play every game. So it might be less about "let's look online to see if Miggy is playing, if he's not then forget it", and more like "this is Miggy's last year, we should go see him play before he retires!" If that's the case, then a general announcement that Miggy is not playing for the rest of the season, and by extension never play for the Tigers ever again, will probably keep a lot of those people home.

Edited by chasfh

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I would bet most people who go to Tigers games either don't know you can look up lineups before the game, or don't care enough to bother to. I think a lot of people coming to the game just assume Miggy is going to be in the game. Lots of people, maybe most people, who show up at Comerica over the course of a season are casual fans who go to only one or two games a year, not diehards who go to dozens. They probably don't watch them regularly on TV, don't listen to games on radio, or read any beat stories or columns about them, so they may not even know Miggy doesn't actually play every game. So it might be less about "let's look online to see if Miggy is playing, if he's not then forget it", and more like "this is Miggy's last year, we should go see him play before he retires!" If that's the case, then a general announcement that Miggy is not playing for the rest of the season, and by extension never play for the Tigers ever again, will probably keep a lot of those people home.

Do those people know or care that Cabrera is still on the team? I think they just go there to be at a cool place and to drink beer 

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Do those people know or care that Cabrera is still on the team? I think they just go there to be at a cool place and to drink beer 

I think Miggy still being on the team is the one thing a lot of people do still care about. They may not be big baseball fans, but they know how great Miggy is. And of course, the beer is also very good, along with the umbrella drinks.