06/03/2023 2:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

casimir

Just now, Dtrain72 said:

It's dumb...I'm happy with the Harris hire, and of course am cutting him some slack, but he's gotta bring some guys up to replace schoop, maton, and ibanez.  There is literally no point in not bringing some guys up and seeing what they got at this point...it's making me doubt Harris.

He brought up Nevin. That's the best we have at Toledo? It's hopeless.

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

That’s a tough WP.   99% of catchers get that ball and don’t endanger the umps life. 

The umpire didn’t even flinch.  He was probably frozen because he couldn’t believe where the pitch was going.

Was the call a header off of the ump’s nugget and tag out the runner trying to advance home?  The ricochet was slightly miscalculated.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

He brought up Nevin. That's the best we have at Toledo? It's hopeless.

For all of the dumpster diving that was referred to as depth building, there really ain’t any depth at Toledo.

And before anyone suggests promoting Malloy, he’s slowed down after a torrid start.  Low .700 OPS after April.  Probably still some lessons to be learned.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

I agree, guess my point is the Tigers have taken the mantle comedic futility from the Lions

Yeah, I get it. The Lions are the worst run franchise in all of sports. They could win the next 5 Super Bowls and it's still their history. And we all know, you can't change history.

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

Kinda my point...I'm not buying Nevin as being the best option..I'd rather see what Maloy or Keith can do, or both

Prompting Malloy now that he has slowed down after April or promoting Keith past AAA are both ideas that are unmitigated ass.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

20 home run...75 RBI and a .240 BA? Good enough? I say no. How long do we give him? 2 more years? Remember Harris didn't draft him. There's not going to be any loyalty from the front office.

I don't think we are anywhere near where we should pull the plug on him, it looks like there is a lot of talent there, as long as he keep evolving. I'm willing to see if learning to take a walk is a good intermediate step for him. So I'm less impatient with him than just looking at what I think his next step needs to be. And with any team there is always the question whether the right voices are in his ear for what *he* needs to learn to do - which may or not be what any other hitter on the team needs to do. I understand that when a team is as completely messed up as the Tigers have been you maybe need to have 'team' approaches, but OTOH, baseball is a stupendously individualized sport - no two guys have the same skill-set/strengths/weakesses. 'Team' based coaching is fine up to a point, the good hitters especially have to be free to optimize their approach to their strengths. Hopefully the Tigers have a staff now where that can happen.

2 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

Kinda my point...I'm not buying Nevin as being the best option..I'd rather see what Maloy or Keith can do, or both

Gotta be careful with young players. If they're not ready, you could set them back by destroying their confidence. Look at Tork. One season at Toledo crushing the ball may have had him confident enough not to stand there and watch juicy pitches go by.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Prompting Malloy now that he has slowed down after April or promoting Keith past AAA are both ideas that are unmitigated ass.

We can agree to disagree, as the the current ass is so unmitiagated, that the other ass option cant be much worse, and hell, who knows, maybe it'd be an ass smidge better.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

How the hell does Hinch not lose his cool? Just walk away from this poor excuse of a team. Let Harris find some Bozo to manage these clowns.

He’s probably still in shock about what he just saw.

And we have no idea what conversations there are between Hinch and Harris.  We have no idea what the targeted goals are for this season.  We can assume the general development of youngsters, try to get veterans tradable, that generic kind of stuff.  It’s probably safe to safe playoff contention wasn’t a part of the discussion.  And the way the rotation is getting hurt again this season, at this point, what do they do there?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This goes back to my ongoing criticisms of Craig Monroe:

It all platitudes with Craig. He's got like two dozen stock phrases and tosses them out there at random as though Shep is rolling for them with an isosahedron gaming die.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I get it. The Lions are the worst run franchise in all of sports. They could win the next 5 Super Bowls and it's still their history. And we all know, you can't change history.

To be fair the patriots were on that level before Brady 

14 minutes ago, casimir said:

yes it would have been a great story if Malloy had been able to keep it up long enough to have more seriously demanded a call-up. That seems to have gone by the wayside for now. Is Keith the lightning in the bottle we hope for? Again - maybe, check back in another 50->100 AB and maybe the wisdom of a call-up to Det will be clearer, though I wouldn't hestitate to bump him to AAA.

Edited by gehringer_2