06/03/2023 2:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

casimir

43 minutes ago, casimir said:

The umpire didn’t even flinch.  He was probably frozen because he couldn’t believe where the pitch was going.

I was thinking about this some before I saw your post and I was thinking that umpires must be well-trained to stay on the pitch and follow it wherever it goes, without flinching, and trusting so implicitly that the catcher will catch it that they don't even consider the alternative. They have years and years of games called at the minor league level to prove to Baseball that they can do that.

44 minutes ago, casimir said:

For all of the dumpster diving that was referred to as depth building, there really ain’t any depth at Toledo.

That was never going to get fixed in two months. It's not all that much easier to build a strong AAA team from nothing than it is to do so at the big league level. After all, majority of those guys are still Avila's.

46 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, I get it. The Lions are the worst run franchise in all of sports. They could win the next 5 Super Bowls and it's still their history. And we all know, you can't change history.

I think if the Lions were to win five straight Super Bowls, everyone would forget all about their history.

40 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It all platitudes with Craig. He's got like two dozen stock phrases and tosses them out there at random as though Shep is rolling for them with an isosahedron gaming die.

Yeah, I think I'd be a little surprised if his preparation were all that much more than showing up and being the best Craig Monroe he can be. Maybe a glance at a prepped sheet, or perhaps game notes with key facts highlighted by interns.

55 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

We can agree to disagree, as the the current ass is so unmitiagated, that the other ass option cant be much worse, and hell, who knows, maybe it'd be an ass smidge better.

Stealing buddah line

It's silly to promote a guy to calculus cause he's good at 4th grade math.

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was thinking about this some before I saw your post and I was thinking that umpires must be well-trained to stay on the pitch and follow it wherever it goes, without flinching, and trusting so implicitly that the catcher will catch it that they don't even consider the alternative. They have years and years of games called at the minor league level to prove to Baseball that they can do that.

That's the worst combination; Haase called for off-speed, got the fast ball *and* the fast ball was way out of the zone and he wasn't ready to react to it. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This is probably the case.

While football is being brought into the discussion, I will say that I think sometimes baseball fans misconstrue the magnitude of game by game results from football onto baseball.  A loss is much more of a severe penalty in football than it is in baseball because of the number of games played.  A loss in baseball sucks, but there are 161 other games to play.

Plus, we're Tiger fans.  A loss shouldn't surprise us the past several years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

While football is being brought into the discussion, I will say that I think sometimes baseball fans misconstrue the magnitude of game by game results from football onto baseball.  A loss is much more of a severe penalty in football than it is in baseball because of the number of games played.  A loss in baseball sucks, but there are 161 other games to play.

Used to be close to 10 baseball games to 1 football game. Then they added a football game and totally screwed up my math. I don't strong math...😆

19 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I just want to know if they got crossed up or if Cisnero just missed the location of the fastball that badly?  

won't say I'm certain, but catchers know the timing for each pitch they call and from the way he moved it sure looked like Haase was expecting breaking ball velo there because he was way out of rhythm to get to it.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

This. Especially with this team.  The best we can realistically hope for is stretches of 4-6, followed by 6-4, then a 5-5…  pray for an 8-2 at some point and no 1-9 and end up with 84-85 wins, at best. The very best teams will lose 1/3 of the games.  Sometimes on twitter I think some people get way too negative. It’s a marathon. 

• Like 2

we need to stay the course with Torkelson and keep the top prospects in the minors improving for 2024 while we sort out the players on the MLB roster.Though hard to see I actually think we are improving incrementally and need Badoo-Maton-Verling to establish themselves at this level. 

It's just sad that two consecutive seasons have nose dived because of injuries to Riley Green. But it proves he's pretty good and just one or two more like him might be enough. Too bad it's not Baez and Tork and could still be but my doubts are rising. I was good with getting Baez but man apart from a short stretch last year he has not posted with the bat. Maybe just let him turn and burn. At least he used to mash some of those pitches out of the zone.

I think the only improvements are going to come from reinstating guys from the DL. Crazy season so far. All infielders are healthy but nearly all outfielders are injured. Same with the rotation and bullpen. One bullpen injury and the rotation has been decimated.

They have leveraged an ok season from a good bullpen and good defense. Might as well continue to play to those strengths by cutting guys who aren't hitting and suck on defense and replace them with guys who can catch the ball.

14 hours ago, KL2 said:

Stealing buddah line

It's silly to promote a guy to calculus cause he's good at 4th grade math.

Malloy might be a bit of a victim of unfortunate BABIP lately.  His OBP is still awfully healthy.  He’s also gotten a few games in LF here lately.  I wonder if they’ve decided his future is the OF and/or we’re about to see Keith moved up to Toledo shortly.  Maybe their futures are such that they’ll have two “primary” positions and between two they’ll be the 3B with some LF and 2B duties as well.  I don’t mind the proposition in general.  I don’t know if either are well suited for those roles are not.

I was in a discussion about kids and high school and college and studying a couple of days ago.  I don’t know if this is a reasonable analogy or not.  Malloy might be “naturally smart” as a hitter in the minors, but he still needs a bit more work at studying before he gets in college at the majors in order to be successful.  And this is in terms of his defense as well as his offense, although I don’t think anyway is his accusing his defense as being naturally smart.

Its kind of silly to me to see posts and complaints about Torkelson’s shortcomings to the point of some folks actually ready to call him a bust at the rule old age of 23 years and 282 days old.  And a few posts later, there’s bemoaning about how Malloy and Keith (both of whom are younger) aren’t yet promoted.  I also wonder, had Harris been around going into last season, would Greene and Torkleson have been ticketed for Toledo rather than Detroit?  Maybe neither were really ready then.  Maybe they needed more polishing up, but Tiger manglement mangled up their progression.  Greene is ready now.  Torkelson hits the ball hard for the most part, but we’ve seen questionable strike zone judgement.

Bottom line for me is that there’s no victory this season that I’d chase right now if it comes at the consequence of the future of the few prospects that the Tigers have that might be due up in 2024/2025.  Yes, watching Nevin and Ibanez struggle this season stinks.  They’ll be gone once Greene, Carpenter, and Kreidler are healthy (and baseball gods willing that there aren’t other injuries that foil that plan).  It stinks for now, but I think patience is the rational path here.  The division looks there for the taking, but the Tigers just don’t have the roster for it, especially with the litany of ailments that have been hitting lately.

12 hours ago, oblong said:

This. Especially with this team.  The best we can realistically hope for is stretches of 4-6, followed by 6-4, then a 5-5…  pray for an 8-2 at some point and no 1-9 and end up with 84-85 wins, at best. The very best teams will lose 1/3 of the games.  Sometimes on twitter I think some people get way too negative. It’s a marathon. 

I’d go further than this season with the marathon for this team.  This season and the build of its roster is to try to decide what might be usable next season and the season after.  It’s been awfully fun to be this close to .500 and the “division lead”, but I don’t think either are really the prize this season.  The almost .500 record is buoyed a bit by favorable success in one run games and in extra innings.  The division is a dumpster fire and Minnesota would be 2.5 games behind the last wildcard if the AL went strictly by record rather than factoring in geography for the postseason.  So we’re enjoying a bit of a mirage right now.  There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s delusional to think there’s anything more to this season than prepping for next season.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

but it’s delusional to think there’s anything more to this season than prepping for next season.

yes and no. Rodriguez' injury I think was the stake through the heart. Until then there was some kind of outside shot because while it's hard to see where consistent run production can possibly come from, the team still managed to get to 1 under 500 with it's best pitcher due back in a month. But now all we can hope for is Skubal replaces ERod.

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

yes and no. Rodriguez' injury I think was the stake through the heart. Until then there was some kind of outside shot because while it's hard to see where consistent run production can possibly come from, the team still managed to get to 1 under 500 with it's best pitcher due back in a month. But now all we can hope for is Skubal replaces ERod.

I’m considering what the goal probably was going into this season.  The fact that the division has developed into an absolute dumpster fire wasn’t completely impossible, but it was highly unlikely that this Tiger roster would have delivered enough to make things interesting for themselves.  Things have changed over time, but it’s hard to see this continuing into the summer.