NBA Info - June 2023

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Is there a market for Bogdanovich?

This is a guy who was traded less than a year ago for absolute peanuts.  Danny AInge is a good GM who is notorious for wringing maximum value from his assets.  That means Bojan was shopped hard to every team in the league.  Nobody was biting then at the low price, why would they now?

People will say everyone wants shooting. Well, Duncan Robinson has been on the trade block for over a year and nobody has bitten.  Miami banished him to the bench and rarely played him.  Both of these guys are two of the best shooters in the entire league and also two of the worst defenders in the league.  Although, I thought Robinson did a bit better in the playoffs when called on.

If you are a contender can 20% of the guys on the floor play putrid defense?  Even if they are great shooters I'm not sure they can.

If I am a team looking at the Pistons roster, I want Burks over Bojan 10 times out of 10.  Smaller contract, just as good of a shooter.  Bojan is better on the ball but Burks is much better on defense.

I think there's a market for Bogdanovich given his offense.  I'm not going to argue with you that he might be overrated and Burks might be underrated to the point where they are more equal in talent than some would think.  But the market might not necessarily value these talents correctly, either.  It just takes a GM/owner to think they need more offense to create interest in Bogdanovich.  There's always a bit of an illusion to some folks about how good the best player on a crappy team is.  And part of that illusion could be overlooking the defense for the offense, particularly if a team thinks it already has pretty good defense and rebounding already.

And with Cunningham's return, and with Ivey having a season under his belt, reliance on Bogdanovich by the Piston should decrease.  So that illusion is going to fade just a bit, too.  So, there's probably a bit of motivation by the Pistons to make a move, particularly with Harris on the team for a season.

I wouldn't expect Miami to be a trade target.  I think they tend to operate differently than the rest of the league and are quite successful with that approach.  Bogdanovich probably doesn't match their DNA.  But, there are 28 other teams to kick trade ideas around with.  Less than that if you filter in cap space, philosophy, needs/strengths, etc.  But does that 28 reduce down to 0?  I doubt it.  So as long as that number is higher than 0, I think there's a market for Bogdanovich.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NYLion said:

$43m for FVV!!!!

I was dismayed at the Harris trade at first and still think the Pistons should have squeezed more value out of that contract but it's a good day for the Pistons because they didn't tie themselves to any ridiculous contract for players that aren't high impact guys.

100% agree. I'm glad we didn't pay Grant 160M or try to throw 30M/yr at Cam and pray. Those are role players, not All-Stars.

Looking at some of the deals that went down just blows my mind. Everyone said the new CBA and tax apron penalties were going to make teams really think about their spending, but it looks like the opposite has happened. Maybe they're just counting on the TV deal to increase the cap. Bane getting 40M per year blows my mind. Great player but, that's 30% of the cap. Is he the #2 on a championship team? Hasn't even made an All-Star team yet and he's making 40M. Some of these deals are just wild.

39 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

What a ****.  Wait until they dump a pile of cash on Grant and then request a trade.

He’s done his part and multiple front offices have repeatedly **** all over themselves for years trying to put a team around him.  The guy wants a chance to win before he’s done.  Dame has done nothing wrong here.

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

He’s done his part and multiple front offices have repeatedly **** all over themselves for years trying to put a team around him.  The guy wants a chance to win before he’s done.  Dame has done nothing wrong here.

Agree, he probably could've said something before the Grant signing but the fact he stuck it out with Portland for as long as he did is a breath of fresh air compared to how other stars act in the league. 

All he had to do was say something 24 hours ago. He got his boy Grant paid and then gave the middle finger to the organization.

And he's "requesting" where he wants to go? If I'm Portland I'm just trading him to whoever gives me the most. I don't care if that's Utah or Minnesota or Charlotte or the G League. "You want to go to Miami? Oh, then maybe you should've said something before we dropped a 5 year overpay on Grant to try to make you happy."

he's going to miami.  they've been dumping salary to make room.

i imagine this was known before the draft.  which makes the grant signing puzzling, other than they want to make him the "veteran" presence.

so much for all of grant's talk about wanting to be in a "black" city like detroit.  once again, the only color that matters is green.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

What a ****.  Wait until they dump a pile of cash on Grant and then request a trade.

I don’t know.  It was probably known up front and just not public.  He needs Portland to move him to an amenable situation given his lack of no trade clause.  If he screws them, then could do the same in return.  It does seem like there is some mutual respect in this particular situation.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

35 year old Brook Lopez gets a 2 year/$48M deal to go back to Milwaukee.  What a time to be in the league where a decent role player can make this kind of windfall at the end of his career.  

There was a time when the saying was to take an athletic kid and make him pitch left handed.  But looking at the annual salaries in the NBA, at least the AAV, wow, it’s just kind of mind blowing.  Granted, there are fewer NBA jobs than in the other big 4 sports (maybe big 5 if soccer is included?).  

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

All he had to do was say something 24 hours ago. He got his boy Grant paid and then gave the middle finger to the organization.

And he's "requesting" where he wants to go? If I'm Portland I'm just trading him to whoever gives me the most. I don't care if that's Utah or Minnesota or Charlotte or the G League. "You want to go to Miami? Oh, then maybe you should've said something before we dropped a 5 year overpay on Grant to try to make you happy."

Yeah, the guy is a ****.  I hope he never wins a thing.

• Thanks 1