2023 Pistons Summer League

1 hour ago, buddha said:

so he's ben simmons?

People did make that comparison before the draft but it doesn't fit IMO.

Simmons won't shoot, not even layups.  Givony wrote an article about Simmons before his draft about not working hard. All reports about Ausar are about how hard he works. I don't think Simmons wants to play basketball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

He passes and rebounds too well to be Allen.

If his shot doesn't develop he can still be a decent contributor on a good team.

Unlike some guys that are all fast twitchy, he looks very smooth in his movement.  I'll take that as a sign he has the fine motor to become a better shooter, but I guess time will tell.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

People did make that comparison before the draft but it doesn't fit IMO.

Simmons won't shoot, not even layups.  Givony wrote an article about Simmons before his draft about not working hard. All reports about Ausar are about how hard he works. I don't think Simmons wants to play basketball.

it fits in the potential discussion.  if he is all defense and has great vision and passing skills but cannot shoot, simmons is a good comp.  

simmons is a unique character in that he REFUSES to shoot and REFUSES to play, making every excuse in the book from back injuries to mythical psyche injuries that will conform with the cba guidelines.  in that way, it does not fit.

but in the skills category, it definitely fits if he cannot shoot.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

it fits in the potential discussion.  if he is all defense and has great vision and passing skills but cannot shoot, simmons is a good comp.  

simmons is a unique character in that he REFUSES to shoot and REFUSES to play, making every excuse in the book from back injuries to mythical psyche injuries that will conform with the cba guidelines.  in that way, it does not fit.

but in the skills category, it definitely fits if he cannot shoot.

And every team in the league would love to have Simmons if he had it together between his ears and his work ethic was there. If you want to say that Simmons without the mental issues is Ausar's starting point, then that's a heck of a pick. From there, I'm happy to gamble on Ausar's work ethic and high character to push him further.

1 hour ago, Betrayer said:

And every team in the league would love to have Simmons if he had it together between his ears and his work ethic was there. If you want to say that Simmons without the mental issues is Ausar's starting point, then that's a heck of a pick. From there, I'm happy to gamble on Ausar's work ethic and high character to push him further.

its not a criticism.  his defense looks legit.  his playmaking and basketball sense look legit.  i do wonder where the offense will come from and what the team looks like if it never comes and other teams just leave him in the corner and crash the paint.

if his comp is igudola, is his brother's comp jason kidd?

man, i do love overreacting to everything in summer league.  an annual tradition!

19 hours ago, buddha said:

not to be a debbie downer, but his shot is broke.

if he can make it a viable - or even semi acceptable weapon - he's an all star.

if not, he's tony allen.

I don't see it, Ausar is a far better playmaker than Allen was. Even if his 3 pointer never comes around, he has a higher floor than Allen because he has creation skills.

I wouldn't say "broke" necessarily but he certainly doesn't have a smooth stroke and the shot is pretty flat so I'm also skeptical that he ever becomes an above average 3 point shooter.

Edited by NYLion

Is Ausar Thompson a Gerald Wallace type player with more playmaking ability? They're both 6'7 G/F hybrids. I also saw someone mention on reddit that he's a tough nosed, smart, high BBIQ, defensively sound player as Wallace was. Someone like Wallace during his run in Charlotte who will average you 16-18ppg, 2-3 assists, and 2-3 steals. I remember watching Wallace during the Goin to Work era when I watched a lot of NBA because the Pistons were actually worth watching night in and out. Is Gerald Wallace a fair comparison?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

Why are we so obsessed with comparing past players with guys who have never been on an NBA court?

It's the same with every sport. Until we have something of their own to go off of, we as fans nearly universally like to try and project what their teams new shiny toy might be like. Makes us feel better (or in the case of Bob Quinn and SVG drafts worse) about the player our team has drafted. It also gives us something to look forward to stat wise.

I'm not really good at comparing a specific player to another in regards to their actual play style but I do like to compare how guys may turn out in the grand scheme of things as a whole. 

For instance when we drafted Cade I compared him to possibly being a Middleton like player as his floor, I didn't mean that they played the same way I was just referencing the fact that at the very least I felt he should turn out to be a fringe All Star type guy who could be a solid number 2 or number 3 on a good team at the very least. 

Yeah Whitmore has looked really good but even if he carries it over to the regular season I think it is going to take time before people can question the teams for passing on him since the concerns they reportedly had aren't something that necessarily are going to show up right away. 

Like the vague medical reports about his knees, teams may have seen something there that made them of the belief that either an injury is coming soon or more likely to happen at some time in the future. Same with his alleged motivational issues teams felt he had during workouts. That could be something that shows up later in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

So the other rookie has not enjoyed the success that Ausar has.

Sasser is taking 6 3PT shots per game and only hitting at 16%.  I have not been that impressed with his defense either.  And those were the two things advertised when we picked him.

he's got a push shot that seems to start at his hip.  gonna get swatted a lot.

21 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I have to keep reminding myself this is only SL.

Exactly.  Can't put much stock into what we are seeing.  But I am not going to tell anybody not to be excited about Ausar either.  He was the #5 pick in the draft, clearly has a lot of potential, and it's the season for optimism.