07/20/2023 2:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I was going to say same thing; shame on them

It reminded me a lot of a Early 2021/2022 Detroit Tigers game.... just hideous ABs and, not once, did one ever think they would get back into it.

Don't want to take anything away from Lorenzen/Holton/Foley, just calling it as I see it.

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

I had to follow the bottom of the 9th on GameDay. Power outage!!

Be sure to fill the bathtub with hydro immediately.   Get the gold buried in the back yard.  Barricade all entrances but allow yourself an auxiliary exit that none of your "neighbors" know about.   Remove any outward signs that you may be at home or have food.  You do not want to attract raiders.  

• Haha 2

Just now, romad1 said:

Be sure to fill the bathtub with hydro immediately.   Get the gold buried in the back yard.  Barricade all entrances but allow yourself an auxiliary exit that none of your "neighbors" know about.   Remove any outward signs that you may be at home or have food.  You do not want to attract raiders.  

If your children have any charcoal (from Christmas) you should gather that up to help you make powder. 

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you'd have to believe they can play 600 the rest of the way. Just hard to see. If you could add hitters without losing Lorenzen and ERod - maybe, but how could you do that without giving away the future? Can't do it.

I would trade prospects in a heartbeat, but not for middling players or rentals.  Jobe, Jung and Meadows for Nolan Arenado?  Hell yes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

you'd have to believe they can play 600 the rest of the way. Just hard to see. If you could add hitters without losing Lorenzen and ERod - maybe, but how could you do that without giving away the future? Can't do it.

How do we add hitters without trading prospects? I don’t see it. And how do we justify giving six more years to Eduardo through age 36 and letting Lorenzen walk after the year for nothing, when we still have an entire hitting structure to rebuild? I don’t see that either.

I know everyone wants to win NOW, and I’d like to win this year, too, but I would rather take that run with the guys we have after trading Eduardo and Lorenzen and Cisnero and, if we can get something great for them, Lange and/or Foley. I don’t want to start trading guys like Colt Keith and Jace Jung and Wilmer Flores and Ty Madden and Parker Meadows to try and pick up some second division veteran hitter Paul Goldschmidt or Eugenio Suarez or Ryan McMahon. And I’d bet money Scott Harris is selling regardless of how we do in the next week and a half.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I would trade prospects in a heartbeat, but not for middling players or rentals.  Jobe, Jung and Meadows for Nolan Arenado?  Hell yes.

How about Colt Keith? If you’re gonna liquidate hitting prospects, sh*t, man, go all the way! 😅

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

but I would rather take that run with the guys we have after trading Eduardo and Lorenzen and Cisnero

Exactly - your're playing a long shot that depends as much or more on what MN and CLE do anyway. If you make your best moves for the future and it breaks your way anyway (e.g. Faedo comes up to fill ERods spot and pitches well etc) enjoy it, but don't make a dumb move for the sake of a long shot.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

How do we add hitters without trading prospects? I don’t see it. And how do we justify giving six more years to Eduardo through age 36 and letting Lorenzen walk after the year for nothing, when we still have an entire hitting structure to rebuild? I don’t see that either.

I know everyone wants to win NOW, and I’d like to win this year, too, but I would rather take that run with the guys we have after trading Eduardo and Lorenzen and Cisnero and, if we can get something great for them, Lange and/or Foley. I don’t want to start trading guys like Colt Keith and Jace Jung and Wilmer Flores and Ty Madden and Parker Meadows to try and pick up some second division veteran hitter Paul Goldschmidt or Eugenio Suarez or Ryan McMahon. And I’d bet money Scott Harris is selling regardless of how we do in the next week and a half.

Sounds like this might be the plan.

Yet, if they continue to play well perhaps they could extend Lorenzen (2 for 20?) - why because we are going to have to pay another vet SP 'something' this FA season and I do not see SHarris dolling out big multi year contracts (see SF history as well). That and many SPs are not getting the extended deals that they got before as teams are wising up and 1-2 yrs for what amounts to SPs that 'may' throw 150 innings is going to be more common (IMHO). There is always a few outliers but no longer the norm.

SHarris may only pull a deal if he likes it, depending of course on the players involved. I do not see him doing so because he might have to (I understand you did not say that as well). There looks to be more a 'Sellers' market - and pitching is always in demand.

ERod? Maybe just offer funds to the 3 years left? I cannot see him getting 6 years. He and his agent have to weigh it based on several factors of course including if he likes it here.

Nobody not named Ohtani really is in line for 5-6 years (maybe JUrias?).

Adding? I really do not think you need to trade a 'top' prospect. Maybe a mid range player and there may be teams looking to rid 'some' payroll as that is a factor as well. Again, IF SHarris is thinking of adding a veteran bat this off season, and a player comes up in the next week or so who may fit... Could also trade a younger player for another younger player who SHarris and staff may like more.

Go Tigs! 😉

17 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if you want Lorenzen and ERod on the 2024 Tigers, sign them as free agents this Winter

I want them on the 2023 playoff roster for the Detroit Tigers to defeat the AL East champion Rays or Orioles.  If Baltimore can do that to us in 2014, we can do that to them.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if you want Lorenzen and ERod on the 2024 Tigers, sign them as free agents this Winter

I'm not sure I would want even four years of Eduardo, let alone six, which I assume somebody will give him. But if not, offer him three.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

It's a player opt-out so we have no control with it other than offering him more money to skip FA.

Right.  He’s likely opting out no matter what, but it won’t prevent him from re-signing with us.  It’s leverage to negotiate a better contract.