07/20/2023 2:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals

casimir

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I read or heard that St Louis wanted controllable pitchers. Brieske in a package with Lange?

You have to trade them something of value.  Really?  A 3rd rate, middling starter, and a up and down relief pitcher.?  That won't get anything of value in return.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

Dan Dickerson keeps talking about things like putting together a little win streak to “change the narrative” at the trade deadline. He cannot possibly be talking about trading prospects for middling big leaguers just to likely still fall short of winning the division, can he?

It would almost certainly have to involve trading the pitching rotation duo for a combination of major league ready rotation arms and major league ready bats.  A buy & sell.

Or perhaps they backfill the arms by floating prospects like Malloy or MeadowsP for a starting pitcher?

12 hours ago, casimir said:

It would almost certainly have to involve trading the pitching rotation duo for a combination of major league ready rotation arms and major league ready bats.  A buy & sell.

Or perhaps they backfill the arms by floating prospects like Malloy or MeadowsP for a starting pitcher?

What would the first scenario look like? I can’t imagine what big-league-ready rotation arms plus bats a contender would give us that would help us contend now, in return a rental of Eduardo and Lorenzen. The second scenario might return something, but I would guess it would have to involve absorbing bad money off some fringe contender’s books. I can’t conjure off the top of my head any names that would qualify. Any ideas?

In any event, I don’t think either idea is even on Harris’s radar.

Edited by chasfh

13 hours ago, casimir said:

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

What would the first scenario look like? I can’t imagine what big-league-ready rotation arms plus bats a contender would give us that would help us contend now, in return a rental of Eduardo and Lorenzen. The second scenario might return something, but I would guess it would have to involve absorbing bad money off some fringe contender’s books. I can’t conjure off the top of my head any names that would qualify. Any ideas?

In any event, I don’t think either idea is even on Harris’s radar.

Its going to be somewhat of an evaluation difference between the participating clubs and/or a position player is blocked on the other team's depth chart.  I know that really narrows the scope of who the Tigers could deal with from a return standpoint.  Who knows, it might not be anything more than a remote possibility.  

And to splice it even more, that might be relevant more so to Rodriguez who has more playoff experience than Lorenzen.  Sure, in either event its going to be a rental pitcher.  But will a team place a premium on Rodriguez being a bit more of a known quantity and having playoff experience?  Maybe not, but maybe a GM/owner decides its worth a little extra something.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Its going to be somewhat of an evaluation difference between the participating clubs and/or a position player is blocked on the other team's depth chart.

You can trade pitching for blocked position players that have no track record but may be able to help the Tigers now  because improving offense on the Tigers is a low bar, but it's very unlikely any team that needs ERod or Lorenzen also has present tense usuable pitching being blocked, the two things are sort of mutually contradictory. So we are not getting replacement pitching back unless we deal our own good prospects, and that is counter productive for a team building long term.

So I'm pretty much with Chasfh, I don't see any way to thread the needle of making the moves we need to make - which is Lorenzen and ERod and maybe Jose Cisnero,  and still being a better team between now and the end of the season. The only conceivable way that happens would be for a combination of Turnbull, Faedo and maybe Wentz to perform as well the rest of the way as Lorenzen and ERod would have. I'm not putting any money on that. 

The play has to be for next season when you have the talent you got for Lorenzen and ERod and you go back into the FA market to re-acquire that equivalent amount of pitching to go with it.

14 minutes ago, casimir said:

Its going to be somewhat of an evaluation difference between the participating clubs and/or a position player is blocked on the other team's depth chart.  I know that really narrows the scope of who the Tigers could deal with from a return standpoint.  Who knows, it might not be anything more than a remote possibility.  

And to splice it even more, that might be relevant more so to Rodriguez who has more playoff experience than Lorenzen.  Sure, in either event its going to be a rental pitcher.  But will a team place a premium on Rodriguez being a bit more of a known quantity and having playoff experience?  Maybe not, but maybe a GM/owner decides its worth a little extra something.

I wonder whether that deal has ever been made?

19 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You can trade pitching for blocked position players that have no track record but may be able to help the Tigers now  because improving offense on the Tigers is a low bar, but it's very unlikely any team that needs ERod or Lorenzen also has present tense usuable pitching being blocked, the two things are sort of mutually contradictory. So we are not getting replacement pitching back unless we deal our own good prospects, and that is counter productive for a team building long term.

So I'm pretty much with Chasfh, I don't see any way to thread the needle of making the moves we need to make - which is Lorenzen and ERod and maybe Jose Cisnero,  and still being a better team between now and the end of the season. The only conceivable way that happens would be for a combination of Turnbull, Faedo and maybe Wentz to perform as well the rest of the way as Lorenzen and ERod would have. I'm not putting any money on that. 

The play has to be for next season when you have the talent you got for Lorenzen and ERod and you go back into the FA market to re-acquire that equivalent amount of pitching to go with it.

I agree that this is the priority.  The team is below .500 and only 5 games out, but the emphasis should be losing record.  The only reason playoffs are a consideration is that the division is rotten. 

I agree that threading the needle on accomplishing that and dealing to compete now is an awfully tough and unlikely task.  The only trade that I can think of that might be similar is dealing away Granderson and JacksonE for Schezer, JacksonA, Coke, and Schlereth.  But that deal isn't exactly comparable because Granderson and JacksonE were still under contract while the players that the Tigers need to trade are going to be free agents.

But I'm interested to see what Harris does.  I expect Rodriguez and Lorenzen to be traded.  The return has to include youth.  But can he accomplish anything else without compromising the farm system?  I would guesstimate the odds of threading the needle are lower than the playoff odds.