07/25/2023 6:40 pm EDT Los Angeles Angels vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Not sure why Miggy wasn't called upon instead Haase, hell I'd feel better about Maton batting lefty on lefty than Haase at this point. I mean Haase has been useless all year but especially useless the past month or so, in July he has a .282 OPS, not a .282 OBP or even slugging but a .282 freaking OPS. Absolutely pathetic!

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure why Miggy wasn't called upon instead Haase, hell I'd feel better about Maton batting against the lefty than Haase at this point. I mean Haase has been useless all year but especially useless the past month or so, in July he has a .282 OPS, not a .282 OBP or even slugging but a .282 freaking OPS. Absolutely pathetic!

That hurts because it means there is absolutely no one in triple A that’s worth a darn right now. 

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure why Miggy wasn't called upon instead Haase, hell I'd feel better about Maton batting 

and despite getting some BaBIP luck on a weakly hit ball, he is still broken too. They have him in that crouch now, but if you notice he can't swing without starting to straighten out of it, the net result being his head is moving up as he is swinging. I really don't think that can work. They have to rework whatever they are trying to do with that approach change. They got desperate and brought him back from Toledo still half baked.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hinch won't want to do it but Jake needs to move up in the order.

I'd like to see it, at least up to 7th.  "The catcher bats 9th", I get the reasoning, but it's a luxury that only a good team can afford.  A crap team needs to maximize the PA's for their top 4 players, of which Rogers is one.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and despite getting some BaBIP luck on a weakly hit ball, he is still broken too. They have him in that crouch now, but if you notice he can't swing without starting to straighten out of it, the net result being his head is moving up as he is swinging. I really don't think that can work. They have to rework whatever they are trying to do with that approach change. They got desperate and brought him back from Toledo still half baked.

I just hate that stance, and especially where he stands in the box.  He has no chance on a fastball, belt high, at the fists.  No chance.  

That Haase-instead-of-Cabrera thing would have had me fuming a couple of months ago.  But it's almost August now, we've had to endure another 100 games of oh-so-clever lineup construction, and I pretty much don't even care any more.  You still notice that stuff and comment on it, but it doesn't make you angry now.

Just now, Adullin said:

Makes sense two steps forward one step back. So many frustrating losses this year. 

I view this factoid as a positive. .500 baseball for an extended period of time is a real triumph for this team, given the injuries and obvious roster deficiencies. I believe the Tigers are 2-games under since starting the season 2-9. Can’t be too upset about that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I view this factoid as a positive. .500 baseball for an extended period of time is a real triumph for this team, given the injuries and obvious roster deficiencies. I believe the Tigers are 2-games under since starting the season 2-9. Can’t be too upset about that. 

I agree, it's a .500 team that has had some bad breaks.

Paradoxically...it's also a really lousy team!  It only has 4 position players, maybe 5, who should not be considering alternative careers.  And it has a bunch of pitchers who, when slicing their morning bagel, stick their index finger through the hole.

And in spite of that, it isn't difficult to imagine that with a couple of position upgrades, they could easily contend.