07/27/2023 TBD Los Angeles Angels vs Detroit Tigers (Game 2 of Doubleheader)

casimir

10 hours ago, buddha said:

win three of four against the royals: "we should totally be buyers, we are so ready to compete in this weak division".

lose a couple to the angels: "we are in a dystopian hellscape of despair and will never win another game."

you guys are the best.

I have no emotional attachment to the Tigers success so I'm going to mock the way people follow their favorite team!

I am above the fray.

Edited by kdog

22 minutes ago, kdog said:

I have no emotional attachment to the Tigers success so I'm going to mock the way people follow their favorite team!

I am above the fray.

He's not wrong though.... the reactions to the 14-3 loss to the Padres were kinda ridiculous in the context of a 162 game season where even good teams can get hammered from time to time. The reactions to yesterday, which was probably as much about Shohei Ohtani as it was the Tigers if we're being honest, is similar as well.

i think this season has been decently successful so far.  improvement from greene.  carpenter has continued to hit well.  torkelson has been slowly improving.  

lorenzen and rodriguez have pitched well enough to be valuable trade chips.  a couple guys in the bullpen could bring back something.  

players like keith, meadows, and a few others continue to be successful in the minors.  while that doesnt mean they'll ever be good major leaguers, it beats the alternative!

the downsides are the continued injuries to the pitchers.  but jobe and skubal are back and skubal is perfoming well in the majors.

they just dont have a lot of talent top to bottom.  but the fact that lorenzen and rodriguez have performed as well as they have means they have a very good chance to add more.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, kdog said:

I am above the fray.

live shot of me in my paris cafe, commenting on the pointlessness of existence, ranting to strangers about taking jobe over mayer, and the uselessness of the sacrifice bunt.

(the lady on the right insists that jobe's otherwordly spin rate was reason enough to take the gamble, so i did what all good frenchmen do, i quit the argument and lit up a galoises, smug in my superiority that high school right handed pitchers are injury risks waiting to happen and it doesnt matter anyway because nothing matters in this world and all tigers' pitchers get hurt.)

/fin

cafemaubert-930x673.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think this season has been decently successful so far.  improvement from greene.  carpenter has continued to hit well.  torkelson has been slowly improving.  

lorenzen and rodriguez have pitched well enough to be valuable trade chips.  a couple guys in the bullpen could bring back something.  

players like keith, meadows, and a few others continue to be successful in the minors.  while that doesnt mean they'll ever be good major leaguers, it beats the alternative!

the downsides are the continued injuries to the pitchers.  but jobe and skubal are back and skubal is perfoming well in the majors.

they just dont have a lot of talent top to bottom.  but the fact that lorenzen and rodriguez have performed as well as they have means they have a very good chance to add more.

Yeah, I don't get how people can get that angry or worked up over this season.... they need more talent, but they have also showed a lot more real promise at most levels of the organization and the major league team will likely clear the (incredibly) low bar that most of the fan base seemed to set prior to the year.

• Like 2

This was still a season where I still didn't care so much what the record was.  I cared about the individual progress of certain players and whether we could see Harris and his team find a few guys.  I'm not interested in a team backing into the playoffs in a weak division with a near .500 record.  The games this year have more often than not been competitive.    I actually want to go to the games.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He's not wrong though.... the reactions to the 14-3 loss to the Padres were kinda ridiculous in the context of a 162 game season where even good teams can get hammered from time to time. The reactions to yesterday, which was probably as much about Shohei Ohtani as it was the Tigers if we're being honest, is similar as well.

I still need to see the path from this type of season to a decent team. As we have seen, development of young players is not linear. 

People getting emotional about the Baez disaster is fine. As far as the Tigers not making fringe roster moves, it's pretty clear they care that much about winning each individual game.

Edited by kdog

10 minutes ago, kdog said:

I still need to see the path from this type of season to a decent team. As we have seen, development of young players is not linear. 

Seeing the path from being a losing club to a winning club is always going to require taking the leap of faith and believing that young players will ultimately develop into what is expected of them.

As buddha has suggested above, there is evidence that this is happening. Which, you would think, would make it easier to see a way out of their current position.

Edited by mtutiger

58 minutes ago, buddha said:

live shot of me in my paris cafe, commenting on the pointlessness of existence, ranting to strangers about taking jobe over mayer, and the uselessness of the sacrifice bunt.

(the lady on the right insists that jobe's otherwordly spin rate was reason enough to take the gamble, so i did what all good frenchmen do, i quit the argument and lit up a galoises, smug in my superiority that high school right handed pitchers are injury risks waiting to happen and it doesnt matter anyway because nothing matters in this world and all tigers' pitchers get hurt.)

/fin

cafemaubert-930x673.jpg

+1 buddha

I reserve the right to get emotional about this team.  This team is an avatar of my life.  Following the Tigers helped me get through a very rough early life and its been my steadfast companion ever since.  Through the good times and the bad.   I watched the Christmas episode of The Bear and had to check scores on gameday because it was too much life PTSD to not.  Its my Inception Totem.  Screw anyone who doesn't understand or approve. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, I don't get how people can get that angry or worked up over this season.... they need more talent, but they have also showed a lot more real promise at most levels of the organization and the major league team will likely clear the (incredibly) low bar that most of the fan base seemed to set prior to the year.

Yeah, I've somewhat enjoyed this season, for all the reasons Budda cited. Contention was a silly dream. Having said that, yesterday was downer. C'est la vie. On to Miami. 

• Like 1