08/08/2023 6:40 pm EDT Minnesota Twins vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Zack Short has quietly been pretty good for us this year, he's currently sitting at 1.1 WAR over 160 ABs which rates out to over 3 wins if he was a full time regular for a whole season. Of course it's hard to say if he would have the same production if he played every day but regardless for the role he has been given he has been more than adequate. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It looks like by giving up any serious attempt to drive the ball he's found a set up and swing that is keeping the knee issue at bay - and he still has the vision and hand to eye to handle good pitching. He'll probably end up finishing between Brett and Beltre on the list.

His MO now is that he is returning a serve.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things it isn't ideal that we didn't trade E-Rod but seeing games like this makes it more tolerable short term cause if we traded him we'd just be having to watch some AAAA guy like Wentz throw a garbage game. Atleast keeping him saves us from seeing 10ish extra games like that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

I think Short may be a better player than I thought possible. The guy seems to come through in the clutch...<ducks>

I think you have hit the nail on the head in a way. Short would put up good numbers at AAA but then get to Detroit and seize up once he got on the MLB diamonds. Maybe it's just maturity finally allowing talent he had to show.  I think he was basically an 'anti-clutch' player who is now leveling out.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Eduardo building the warrantee on that opt out tonight.

I was thinking about this. I remember he was very happy with the patience the Tigers had for him last season. And he seems to like it here. Maybe he'll give the Tigers the choice for a big raise or an extension. I would offer to add $$ to his current deal but maybe not go more than 3 years?

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

This is his first season back after TJ surgery. It takes some pitchers up to a year and a half to get all the way back. I think we're seeing what a healthy Jake can do!

Yes, if the organization will just see the light on his playing time he will be a legit All Star for the next 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes, if the organization will just see the light on his playing time he will be a legit All Star for the next 4 years.

It scares me when a player who is arbitration eligible has a bad season. Harris has let some players just walk away by not offering them qualifying offers.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Henning complaining about E-Rod screwing up our "lottery odds", oh joy that'll be the dead horse he beats every one of his starts until the end of the season. 

Lottery odds?  Does he actually think that baseball teams tank to improve their draft position?  This isn't the NBA, these aren't basketball picks.  They're baseball picks, huge difference.  It would have been nice to get a player for him but nobody cares about the lottery consequences.  Henning's out there on an island. 

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Henning complaining about E-Rod screwing up our "lottery odds", oh joy that'll be the dead horse he beats every one of his starts until the end of the season. 

Lottery is for picks 1-7. Tigers currently sit at 7th worst.  I don’t think draft position is a consideration. 

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Zack Short has quietly been pretty good for us this year, he's currently sitting at 1.1 WAR over 160 ABs which rates out to over 3 wins if he was a full time regular for a whole season. Of course it's hard to say if he would have the same production if he played every day but regardless for the role he has been given he has been more than adequate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1