08/22/2023 6:40 pm EDT Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Twins are 5 up on Cleveland and 7 up on the Tigers. All have 36 games to go. 

Wild prediction: the Twins will finish 3rd in the AL Central this season.

The collapse will be talked about for years. 

It would take a divine intervention in the form of the demi-god of Closing

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Well, he's probably increased his value with this season on his baseball card vs coming into this season.  It'd be interesting to see what he can get in the offseason.  I suspect it's 2 seasons with a vesting/performance option for a 3rd.  His baseball card still has downs to go with the ups.

With his plus D and an established stick at third base going into age 30, I think Jeimer might get something like 3/45 with a team option for a fourth year.

Edited by chasfh

19 hours ago, chasfh said:

With his plus D and an established stick at third base going into age 30, I think Jeimer might get something like 3/45 with a team option for a fourth year.

I suppose a shallow free agent crop helps his cause, which, hey, he should use that to his advantage if he could.

Here's a thought I had yesterday.  How many times has a player left a team they played for in one season and then played against them in the next season but as a member for two different teams?  .375/.400/.750 vs Detroit this season.  Better hope he ends up in a division far, far away?

• Haha 1

I had a 1984 season retrospective on cassette and there's a game where Lou hit a grand slam against Milwaukee that would have won the divison that night except the Blue Jays rallied to win later on that night.  On the call Paul Carey said the same thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I know it's redudant and I'm probably in the minority but I just like the way "grand slam HR" sounds particularly in big moments, idk I just think it sounds like a bigger deal than just saying Grand Slam.

I was just thinking the same thing—it works as a real emphatic call in the right moments.

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know it's redudant and I'm probably in the minority but I just like the way "grand slam HR" sounds particularly in big moments, idk I just think it sounds like a bigger deal than just saying Grand Slam.

I agree. It's more exciting. Very dramatic. Plus, if Dan says it, it's OK with me!

8 hours ago, casimir said:

I suppose a shallow free agent crop helps his cause, which, hey, he should use that to his advantage if he could.

Here's a thought I had yesterday.  How many times has a player left a team they played for in one season and then played against them in the next season but as a member for two different teams?  .375/.400/.750 vs Detroit this season.  Better hope he ends up in a division far, far away?

Or sign him to play here?

8 hours ago, oblong said:

I had a 1984 season retrospective on cassette and there's a game where Lou hit a grand slam against Milwaukee that would have won the divison that night except the Blue Jays rallied to win later on that night.  On the call Paul Carey said the same thing. 

Cassette?  Ok, boomer.

• Haha 1