08/22/2023 6:40 pm EDT Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

15 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Man, image where we’d be if we could actually hit with runners in scoring position. 

They are batting .239 with RISP and .231 with the bases empty, so the real problem is not hitting enough in general.  They are starting to fix that though.  

Edited by Tiger337

Hard to figure what to make of Olsen. Looked great for three innings, then bam. I thought a part of it was bad sequencing though   - too many sliders. I think teams/pitchers can get too hung up on spin rate. Spin is good because it make one pitch act differently than another, but it doesn't matter how good the break on your breaking ball is if you throw it so much the hitter can ignore the FB and sit on it - no matter how you spin it he will figure out where it is going to go if you give him enough chance to.  

You think about two things.    That 2-9 start............even if it had just been 5-6 instead  and then that 9 game losing streak when Riley got hurt.  Even if they had gone 3-6 in that stretch (not great, Bob)...............geez, that's 6 games right there.   That 2-18 bit - even if they had gone a lousy 8-12, they'd be so close right now.   Very frustrating.   But the young bats are alive and I do think it's coaching. 

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hard to figure what to make of Olsen. Looked great for three innings, then bam. I thought a part of it was bad sequencing though   - too many sliders. I think teams/pitchers can get too hung up on spin rate. Spin is good because it make one pitch act differently than another, but it doesn't matter how good the break on your breaking ball is if you throw it so much the hitter can ignore the FB and sit on it - no matter how you spin it he will figure out where it is going to go if you give him enough chance to.  

I agree with many that the Tigers desperately need to add two starting pitchers this off-season, one if they extend Erod.

9 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jeimer has definitely made himself alot of money with his performance this year. 

Well, he's probably increased his value with this season on his baseball card vs coming into this season.  It'd be interesting to see what he can get in the offseason.  I suspect it's 2 seasons with a vesting/performance option for a 3rd.  His baseball card still has downs to go with the ups.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

6 hours ago, SeattleMike said:

I agree with many that the Tigers desperately need to add two starting pitchers this off-season, one if they extend Erod.

Some of these younger arms look fine one time through the lineup, but that next look is a different story.  I don't know fi they need the experience with learning to pitch vs throw or maybe they are simply just relievers.  Relief would be fine, especially if they can go multiple innings.  But, yes, Harris is going to need to tend to the rotation.