08/25/2023 6:40 pm EDT Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Torkelson leads the majors in scoops by a lot:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=0&month=0&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=&season1=2023&season=2023&sortcol=15&sortdir=desc&pagenum=1

What this doesn't show is exactly how many opportunities he had to make scoops but failed, although I assume those would show up as errors much of the time. 

What it probably does show is that he had a lot of opportunities and was successful many times.  

I don't know how anyone could watch the Tigers regularly, observe the generally terrible throwing by almost all of their left side IFs, add to consideration that Javy Baez must make the fewest number of routine to catch throws from SS in MLB history, and not be impressed with the number of errors Tork has saved his infielders.

That said, the last couple of weeks he has no-doubt been brutal misplaying the hops on some batted balls.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

I just watched the recording of this game.  I had contemplated skipping it, but decided if I did, I might miss something.  Some days my stubbornicity works in my favor.

Avila's picks are really starting to carry this team. Keep Maton in Toledo so Hinch isn’t forced/tempted to use him.

14 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Torkelson is a poor first baseman. 

We've all seen baseball fields where the infield is turf and the outfield is grass, right?  Maybe the Tigers need to install turf around 1B for ground balls and skipped throws.

I thought Torkelson had a reputation as a good fielder at 1B when he was drafted, but maybe I am just imagining that?

14 hours ago, MIguy said:

A MLB first baseman should be able to dig a ball out of the dirt.  I've lost count of how many times Tork has muffed a less than perfect throw this season. 

On the other hand, Baez has given him a lot of practice last season and earlier this season.

12 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

What an absolute amazing moment for that kid! Man if he, and the other young bucks, keep developing our offense might actually have a chance to be decent next year and beyond! 

Looks like the family was still there, too.  Somebody, please, pass Mrs. Meadows a tissue.

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Avila's picks are really starting to carry this team. Keep Maton in Toledo so Hinch isn’t forced/tempted to use him.

Maybe he wasn't that bad at picking, but the organization couldn't develop them?  The problem is, if the strategy is to bottom out, then they need to do both identify and develop draft picks.

35 minutes ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

Was it about a month and a half end of the season if the Tigers were one game below 500 and then they went one for 14. I think they played about 500 or a little better ball since then.

They lost 9 in a row right after Riley got hurt.  It's like it just deflated them.  Nobody picked up the slack at all.   I think they were only about 1 game out, maybe 2 when that happened.    Even if they'd only gone 4-5 in that stretch - they'd be in the thick of this.  But 7.5 out going into September - while it's not unheard of, it would have to be the Tigers playing well above expectations (.650 ball) plus the Twins completely collapsing.   I don't see either happening. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They lost 9 in a row right after Riley got hurt.  It's like it just deflated them.  Nobody picked up the slack at all.   I think they were only about 1 game out, maybe 2 when that happened.    Even if they'd only gone 4-5 in that stretch - they'd be in the thick of this.  But 7.5 out going into September - while it's not unheard of, it would have to be the Tigers playing well above expectations (.650 ball) plus the Twins completely collapsing.   I don't see either happening. 

Never say never, ever;

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/870583-the-top-10-biggest-and-worst-collapses-in-baseball-history

If the Tigers went 22-12 the rest of the way, which is a lot to ask,  they'd finish at .500.  the Twins would have to go 14-19 to finish with 81 wins.    Not totally out of the question.  

What's more important to the Tigers is getting these young players experience, but they are the ones carrying it, so it works out well in both regards - trying to chase the playoffs without mortgaging the future.      

Lets say the Tigers get to within 3 games, but never catch..............the experience of having been in a chase could be really valuable.  

Just, please, in 2024, no awful start.     3 years in a row the team was derailed by May 15th.  

I hope E-Rod likes it here.   They'll have to pay him more, and for longer, to stay (120 mil over 5 years = 24 per).   But now is the time they can take that gamble because they won't have to pay Manning, Skubal, Mize, Olson, Madden, Flores for a few years, if they pan out.       If Baez bolts, we've shed about $65 million on 3 guys (Schoop, Miggy, Baez) that they probably wouldn't miss.   You can find some good pieces that fit for that money and consider locking up Greene and Tork too.   

Hopefully Colt Keith is a decent (heck, just average MLB 3b).   

Can someone put me in cryo sleep from Thanksgiving Day until 2 days before opening day?    I figure I'll need a couple of days to shake off the cobwebs and catch up on all the offseason moves.