08/25/2023 6:40 pm EDT Houston Astros vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Mike Ivie was kind of a sad story.  He was the first pick of the draft in 1970 and had a hard time dealing with the pressure.  He had some good years,  but then his career was derailed by mental health issues and that kind of thing was not well tolerated back in those days.  

Edited by Tiger337

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Mike Ivie was kind of a sad story.  He was the first pick of the draft in 1970 and had a hard time dealing with the pressure.  He had some good years,  but then his career was derailed by mental health issues and that kind of thing was not well tolerated back in those days.  

Wow...yeah, had not known any of that.  Also, Dave Bergman was part of a trade involving Ivie.  That raises a flag about Bergman.  Was he a problem teammate that he got traded that often? 

18 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Wow...yeah, had not known any of that.  Also, Dave Bergman was part of a trade involving Ivie.  That raises a flag about Bergman.  Was he a problem teammate that he got traded that often? 

Some guys, like Edwin Jackson too, are good enough to get some value but not good enough that you worry about keeping, if that makes sense, so including him in a deal for someone you want is easy.  I'm surprised his OPS+ was over 100 given his lack of power for a 1B.

Quality ballplayer.  

I always assumed Bergman was a good teammate since he wasn't that good, but had a pretty long career.  He was good enough to be a useful role player, but not good enough to start.  Those kinds of players are not always kept around long.  

Edited by Tiger337

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I always assumed Bergman was a good teammate since he wasn't that good, but had a pretty long career.  He was good enough to be a useful role player, but not good enough to start.  Those kinds of players are not always kept around long.  

Met Dave Bergman several times, had several more than casual conversations with him as well. IMHO, he was always professional. Also, FWIW, Sparky liked him a lot and he played for him for quite a while - we all know that/his old so said quote (perhaps myth, lol) 'My way or the highway' so it seems 'Bergy' was good to be around from that perspective as well.

• Like 3

What I remember about Bergman was as like a 6 year old either I saw it on the back of a baseball card or heard it on a telecast but it mentioned him being a stock broker on the side and in the offseason. I remember my Dad saying something like "he probably makes more money doing that than playing baseball", the only "stock" I heard of was in regards to "stocking shelves" like at a supermarket so in my head that's what I thought it was. I remember thinking "wow I didn't know the people working at Farmer Jack or Kroger's made more than baseball players". lol one of those random things from your childhood that always stuck with me and to this day I often think of Bergman anytime I hear the term stock broker.  

• Haha 1

Miggy getting robbed and then Rogers being a bonehead.  And before anyone says it, I know players are taught to go on contact but you need to have a little bit of common sense.  You shouldn't be running home when the ball is hit sharply right to where you know the third baseman is standing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

Or Short needs to make a major league throw. He usually picks those but he faces so many every now and then he can’t make the play. 

A MLB first baseman should be able to dig a ball out of the dirt.  I've lost count of how many times Tork has muffed a less than perfect throw this season. 

• Like 1