08/29/2023 6:40 pm EDT New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which offseason transaction do you expect from the Tigers that will "move the needle"?

I expect Rodriguez to leave and then I think they'll shoot for an equivalent replacement.  I hope they add another starter on top of that (maybe another Lorenzen/Boyd type signing).  I want them to try to be competitive in the AL Central next year.  

I don't think I would call that "moving the needle" so much as...

"Treading water."

But I agree with holding onto Eduardo if possible or finding an equivalent replacement... and adding another Lorenzen-type. And another veteran bullpen arm. More Chafin-like than Cisnero-like please...

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I expect Rodriguez to leave and then I think they'll shoot for an equivalent replacement.  I hope they add another starter on top of that (maybe another Lorenzen/Boyd type signing).  I want them to try to be competitive in the AL Central next year.  

I think it's definitely our intention to compete, although I don't expect Harris to go off plan to do so by, for instance, trading from the top of the system to get veterans. I can't see them competing for top free agents like Matt Chapman, but I could definitely see them signing a couple one-year deals from the middle of the FA pool, guys their analysis show are undervalued when it comes to their philosophy of controlling the plate on both sides of the ball.

I would not doubt that Lorenzen would come back, especially if we're willing to guarantee two years of starts for him. He loved it here.

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it's definitely our intention to compete, although I don't expect Harris to go off plan to do so by, for instance, trading from the top of the system to get veterans. I can't see them competing for top free agents like Matt Chapman, but I could definitely see them signing a couple one-year deals from the middle of the FA pool, guys their analysis show are undervalued when it comes to their philosophy of controlling the plate on both sides of the ball.

I would not doubt that Lorenzen would come back, especially if we're willing to guarantee two years of starts for him. He loved it here.

It might take three years after his 2023 season.  If they were able to sign Rodriguez and Lorenzen or the equivalent, add a hitter on a one-year deal, get some improvement from young players and promote more young players, it will be a very entertaining team and possibly competitive in their division.  

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

It might take three years after his 2023 season.  If they were able to sign Rodriguez and Lorenzen or the equivalent, add a hitter on a one-year deal, get some improvement from young players and promote more young players, it will be a very entertaining team and possibly competitive in their division.  

That's all sounds reasonably within reach.

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it will take more years than that.  

So do I. I think whatever Detroit were to offer Matt Chapman, a contending team will offer something close enough to beat us. I believe it's going to take more than an extra dollar to win his services.

8 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Does it make sense to sign a veteran free agent to a long term deal when you have a Top 20ish prospect at that position knocking on the door?

if your talking Colt Keith is he really that good at 3rd to say he's a lock to play there for awhile? 

13 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

if your talking Colt Keith is he really that good at 3rd to say he's a lock to play there for awhile? 

Is Chapman? I mean I am aware of his defensive track record, but he is also going to be signing this contract on the wrong side of 30. A player whose value is mostly derived from defense tends to lose that value past 30 and you are left with a no-hit 1B. See: Moustakas, Mike.

Chapman is slashing .228/.321/.432 since 2020.

Edited by Edman85

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Is Chapman? I mean I am aware of his defensive track record, but he is also going to be signing this contract on the wrong side of 30. A player whose value is mostly derived from defense tends to lose that value past 30 and you are left with a no-hit 1B. See: Moustakas, Mike.

what's slash line of the guys they been running out there this season ? I'd be fine bringing back Jeimer for a year or two heck I would be fine with Keith just keep him there so he can work on being  a decent defender

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Pass on Chapman. He will get 5 years 100 or close and we do not need that. And I think Harris got hired  because he told Mike big ticket free agents are not part of his plan.