08/29/2023 6:40 pm EDT New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

thats like when people say if we just take away the slow start in April.. as if that wasnt pat of season

Those early games count in the standings but that the Tigers have played mostly .500 ball since then also tells me something. If they had started 8 games over .500 and played 15 games below .500 since then that would be also tell me something. Ones more positive than the other.  

8 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Those early games count in the standings but that the Tigers have played mostly .500 ball since then also tells me something. If they had started 8 games over .500 and played 15 games below .500 since then that would be also tell me something. Ones more positive than the other.  

Every team has peaks and valleys.  The timing of these highs and lows could tell you something but it also could just be random variation throughout the season.  For three straight seasons, the Tigers have started out slow.  What appears to be improvement over the course of the season could be lack of readiness at the beginning of the season.  Or it could just be random.  

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Every team has peaks and valleys.  The timing of these highs and lows could tell you something but it also could just be random variation throughout the season.  For three straight seasons, the Tigers have started out slow.  What appears to be improvement over the course of the season could be lack of readiness at the beginning of the season.  Or it could just be random.  

The record is bad. The run differential is ugly. But the vibe is much better, probably because there have not been many 2-8 stretches and for the most part the guys counted on for the future I've made progress. 

• Like 1

Just now, SeattleMike said:

The record is bad. The run differential is ugly. But the vibe is much better, probably because there have not been many 2-8 stretches and for the most part the guys counted on for the future I've made progress. 

I feel better about the team this year than I did in 2021 when they had a similar pattern and record.  In 2021, they had a lot of luck and a strong bullpen, but it never seemed like a real improvement in talent. This year, I feel like they have some pieces in place which they can build on next year.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I feel better about the team this year than I did in 2021 when they had a similar pattern and record.  In 2021, they had a lot of luck and a strong bullpen, but it never seemed like a real improvement in talent. This year, I feel like they have some pieces in place which they can build on next year.  

I do like the improvement but i do worry about what the ceiling will be 

23 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I'd like to think Harris will work to add pieces that will raise the ceiling over the next two years. 

I guess my point is do Greene and Tork become more then just ok everyday players or All-star type players that we hope for. I know they are both young so there is time

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

I do like the improvement but i do worry about what the ceiling will be 

I think this is going to be the next-two-years worry as none of us have any idea what all these kids will actually turn into. And the core of the team will consist of these kids. 

Harris might not even make any significant moves until these kids get past their learning curves and he can figure out where the holes are, who sinks vs swims, who should be tradeable versus keepable, etc.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think this is going to be the next-two-years worry as none of us have any idea what all these kids will actually turn into. And the core of the team will consist of these kids. 

Harris might not even make any significant moves until these kids get past their learning curves and he can figure out where the holes are, who sinks vs swims, who should be tradeable versus keepable, etc.

not adding to the team is a sure fire way of having the team fail.... no good team is built that way

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

not adding to the team is a sure fire way of having the team fail.... no good team is built that way

Which doesn't say that they MUST add to the team in 2024.

They could add to the team when Harris feels that he is ready to, and maybe that starts in 2025.

So, not to burst anyone's bubble... but my guess is Harris is still going to sift through guys, the young kids and the back-end-of-the-roster-guys for another year or two. And before he commits to any big-$ FA signing, he'll turn to trades prior to that to try and land a big name.

Again, I'm just guessing. But sorry if anyone gets upset over this...

17 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which doesn't say that they MUST add to the team in 2024.

They could add to the team when Harris feels that he is ready to, and maybe that starts in 2025.

So, not to burst anyone's bubble... but my guess is Harris is still going to sift through guys, the young kids and the back-end-of-the-roster-guys for another year or two. And before he commits to any big-$ FA signing, he'll turn to trades prior to that to try and land a big name.

Again, I'm just guessing. But sorry if anyone gets upset over this...

Next year is going to be a disaster if Rodriguez leaves and they don't acquire any pitchers.  I am expecting that they at least add some major league pitchers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Next year is going to be a disaster if Rodriguez leaves and they don't acquire any pitchers.  I am expecting that they at least add some major league pitchers.  

I expect he'll add players as well.

But what I mean is that I don't believe he'll be shooting for any big-name FA's for at least a couple years. No "big game hunting". Just fill-in guys to fill in any holes... like in the rotation as you've noted.

In fact, I'm just guessing... but I'd like to see his first big move this off-season is to offer Eduardo that +1 year at $20 mill that he was asking about... in order to buy out his option.

There are other means to an end though, including trades. And I think Harris will have trades in mind first for the next couple of years, FA's second.

IMO.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: "not significant moves" is NOT the same as "not adding to the team". Why are you misconstruing what I said?

I would say adding any Major League player is a significant move..... if we get the same 4A crap we got this year then fine

27 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

If they can make another pick-up like ERod and Mize comes back strong, they'd be in a nice place. If they pick up a Mike Pelfrey and Mize's FB is still flat, not so much. 😱

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If they can make another pick-up like ERod and Mize comes back strong, they'd be in a nice place. If they pick up a Mike Pelfrey and Mize's FB is still flat, not so much. 😱

One of Harris' strengths prior to coming to Detroit was getting the most out of pitching acquistions.   He did that with Lorenzen, not so much with Boyd but you can't win all the time with broken pitchers.  Maybe go a little higher stakes this time.