08/30/2023 6:40 pm EDT New York Yankees vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Tigers allow 4.6 runs a game over 3 games. That is the league average for runs scored. Hopefully soon, like next year, when the pitching holds the opposition to league average in runs over 3 games the Tigers will win 2 of those 3 most of the time. 

Edited by SeattleMike

The results don't matter this late in a lost season. I would like to see the 'core 3'  get back on track soon. And I'd like to see Manning and Skubal have some good outings. Aside from Meadows, I'm not really sure that any of the other guys are potential long term pieces. 

Get to the end of the year and try to improve the team.

• Like 1

Just now, kdog said:

The results don't matter this late in a lost season. I would like to see the 'core 3'  get back on track soon. And I'd like to see Manning and Skubal have some good outings. Aside from Meadows, I'm not really sure that any of the other guys are potential long term pieces. 

Get to the end of the year and try to improve the team.

Yes the outfield is set - Greene, Meadows and Carpenter.  600 PA's each, unless some or all of them screw up the first 200.  There is a need for 2 more OF/DH types, that's Malloy and Baddoo.  The bench is Vierling, McKinstry, whichever OF/DH isn't playing, and a catcher.

Baez and Torkelson play every day, and Rogers catches 120 games.  There are big holes at 3B and 2B...can Keith play one?  Can Eddys Leonard play the other?  It seems like if Harris can find an MLB regular in trade to improve the lineup it should be an every day player at 3B or 2B.

15 minutes ago, kdog said:

The results don't matter this late in a lost season. ...

We're going to be stuck next year with another top 10 draft pick. I don't want to cry over that because that's about all we can expect as upside from another lost season...

And I don't see how it's possible to escape that.

If we were in the 10-under range and making a push for .500 (we've been there a few times this year) then maybe... but after another losing streak once we hit that spot, yet again... 

I see a top 10 pick next year.

As for improving the team so that we're competitive next year... Harris has some work to do. 

Oddly enough, I think he has more work to do with pitching than on offense...

22 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes the outfield is set - Greene, Meadows and Carpenter.  600 PA's each, unless some or all of them screw up the first 200.  There is a need for 2 more OF/DH types, that's Malloy and Baddoo.  The bench is Vierling, McKinstry, whichever OF/DH isn't playing, and a catcher.

Baez and Torkelson play every day, and Rogers catches 120 games.  There are big holes at 3B and 2B...can Keith play one?  Can Eddys Leonard play the other?  It seems like if Harris can find an MLB regular in trade to improve the lineup it should be an every day player at 3B or 2B.

I agree with most all of this. However, the one thing long time baseball fans seem to forget is that the game has changed. Injuries are more prevalent than ever. Long gone are the days of penciling in 5-7 position players for 600 AB's or 150 games played. That simply does not happen anymore (there may be an occasional outlier). Just like SP and 3 guys on a team throwing 200 innings - simply - 'does not compute' anymore Will Robinson, lol.

With said they are building 'some' depth and will have more players to chose from it seems (Leonard, WPerz, Malloy, etc... Heck even JJung has been looking good and perhaps does not get enough attention).

Back to starting players - in a similar fashion most teams know they need 10 SP 'options' in the org to 'potentially' give apx 125-150 innings at the MLB level these days.

Again, your post makes sense and reads well - but depth is utmost this day and age.

IMHO, I would personally like to see Scott Harris somehow come up with a MLB hitter who can perhaps be here for awhile via trade this off season. Yea FA's are thin this up coming off season as KDog, Echoes and many others have pointed out and like players, the GM needs to show he can do the job as well. A player who can help and be an influence on this team as it needs a professional 'bat' in the order and 2B or 3B seems to be the area (or SS and move Javy to 2B). They will miss Miggy, not for production at this point - but as a 'been there, done that' influence and mentor. All the more reason for adding a 'Professional' bat (or two).

9 minutes ago, alex said:

I agree with most all of this. However, the one thing long time baseball fans seem to forget is that the game has changed. Injuries are more prevalent than ever. Long gone are the days of penciling in 5-7 position players for 600 AB's or 150 games played. That simply does not happen anymore (there may be an occasional outlier). 

I am cheerfully disagreeing!  I want to be like the Braves, they roll out the same 8 guys, plus a catcher, every night and they don't give a crap about defensive versatility or L/R matchups.  They accomplished this by finding good players, not chess pieces.  What has changed, for us long time fans, is that the best athletes don't play baseball anymore.  They play point guard, or read option quarterback.  And that makes the Braves' accomplishment so much more impressive, and of course the best Caribbean or Venezuelan athletes don't play point guard or read option quarterback so maybe that's a clue. 

That's what I'm hoping for, a drafting/developing regime that produces good every day players, like the Braves did, and a regime that doesn't behave as though platooning is an objective and not a compromise. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

I am cheerfully disagreeing!  I want to be like the Braves, they roll out the same 8 guys, plus a catcher, every night and they don't give a crap about defensive versatility or L/R matchups.  They accomplished this by finding good players, not chess pieces.  What has changed, for us long time fans, is that the best athletes don't play baseball anymore.  They play point guard, or read option quarterback.  And that makes the Braves' accomplishment so much more impressive, and of course the best Caribbean or Venezuelan athletes don't play point guard or read option quarterback so maybe that's a clue. 

That's what I'm hoping for, a drafting/developing regime that produces good every day players, like the Braves did, and a regime that doesn't behave as though platooning is an objective and not a compromise. 

I agree with this plan. It's baseball not chess. 

2 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I agree but would like to see Carpenter at DH most days and Verling in RF for the defense and a real third baseman not an outfielder.

8 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I'm not sure Baddoo returns.

I'd release Ibanez and call up Lipcius in his place for the rest of the season.  Ibanez doesn't have a future in Detroit.  I don't know if Lipcius does or not, but time is starting to tick on him.  He's essentially hit a full AAA season at a 281/.371/.424 clip with a 77 BB to 106 SO ratio.  Play him at 2B, see what happens. 

And I'd make this move outside of the 2 expanded roster spots.  I would assume one of those goes to a pitcher (which I suspect might be a bit of a fluid spot) and one goes to another position player (Kreidler?).